Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockCity
    Originally posted by ripemupshocks
    We already have 13 players that chose us above the others that were recruiting them. Noel Johnson is not one of those players. He should be welcome here only if it is not at the expense of any of the other 13. Loyalty is as loyalty does.
    Something tells me that if Noel wants to be a Shocker, the coaching staff won't be as stubborn as you. Truly "Blue Chip" great players don't come along that often, especially for the Shox. The last one was Mo Evans.
    Are you really going to tell me that not wanting to discard a player that you have made a commitment to and who has made a commitment to you is being "stubborn"?

I have no doubts that Marshall would (and should) look into every possible way to make the scholarship situation work if Noel wants to be here, but as ripemup says, only those avenues that do not involve treating another person as if they did not matter because they are not "blue chip" material should be considered. If someone volunteers their scholarship because they have other resources to pay for college and wants to help the team, that's great, but no one should be forced to do so.

As to the idea that getting the truly blue chip players has such an impact on your program that you should do anything in your power, regardless of the cost, to get them; doesn't your example of Mo pretty much disprove that? Set aside for a moment the fact that getting Mo didn't rocket WSU to success and note that Mo's impact at Texas in elevating that program was only marginal.

Finally, I think that Marshall would be less likely than you to assume that WSU will not have its chances to recruit players of the caliber of Noel going forward. The fact that WSU hasn't landed one of those guys since Mo does not mean that Noel is our only shot to do so. Marshall will win whether or not Noel comes and with winning will come more opportunities at top recruits.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Yep

Well said, TMH. I'd love to see Cheddar become a Shocker -- but not if his doing so required Marshall to give the short end of the stick to a player currently on scholarship. That's not a good practice, in my view, and certainly not something I want to see WSU start doing, for anyone.

Comment

Sadly, college basketball is a business.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
          Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner. Let's not be naive and kid ourselves into thinking that the Shox wouldn't do anything possible to sign a player like Noel. Come on people!

Comment

I would image if Cheddar comes here we will all be happy with the outcome.

Scout said that Noel's visit to the UNLV started on Thursday although everybody else said it's this weekend. Nothing on the Rebel board yet about the outcome of the visit. We will see if he commits but I'm guessing, not. He has repeatedly said he not in that big of hurry and will take 3 weeks. Perhaps I'm just hoping, but I doubt if he is blow away with Tarkington Court or whatever the guy's name is.
            In the fast lane

Comment

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner. Let's not be naive and kid ourselves into thinking that the Shox wouldn't do anything possible to sign a player like Noel. Come on people!
              If you think that stiffing people that you have made commitments to and who have held up their end of commitments is just business, remind me never to do business with you.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                If you think that stiffing people that you have made commitments to and who have held up their end of commitments is just business, remind me never to do business with you.
                We won't be doing business, because you wouldn't be successful being that sensitive. It's a hard world.

Comment

Hey those last to posts i gotta admit are funny. But if Noel comes here:

CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!!! :clap: :wsu_posters: :clap: :wsu_posters: :clap: :wsu_posters: :D :D :D

Comment

We won't be doing business, because you wouldn't be successful being that sensitive. It's a hard world.
                    I agree life isn't fair HCGM's butt is on the line if he doesn't produce a winner so it makes sense he would do everything possible to make the team as good as possible. With that being said I don't want anyone kicked off the team either hopefully someone would drop down to a walk on status for a year then get the scholarship the following year. We tend to lose 1 or 2 every year anyway.
                    Shocker Football...Alive in '95 errr 2005 errr 2025!!

Comment

• I don't want anyone kicked off the team either! I would just hope for the best, but I would understand if the worst happen that is how it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockCity
                        Actually most successful businesses are very good about keeping their commitments. And it's probably no accident that the gold standard in college basketball success, John Wooden, was a person of enormous personal integrity who always put the development of his players into mature people as the ultimate goal (not winning). It is a hard world, which is why people who take shortcuts along the way seldom manage to make it to the finish line. I believe that our coach and AD will do things the right way but if they don't it will not ultimately be to anyone's long term benefit.
                        The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

• Yes!

Nicely said, tgc. You win, the cynics lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by tgcshock

Weren't most of John Wooden's players paid?
                            Actually most successful businesses are very good about keeping their commitments. And it's probably no accident that the gold standard in college basketball success, John Wooden, was a person of enormous personal integrity who always put the development of his players into mature people as the ultimate goal (not winning). It is a hard world, which is why people who take shortcuts along the way seldom manage to make it to the finish line. I believe that our coach and AD will do things the right way but if they don't it will not ultimately be to anyone's long term benefit.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• Making decisions like this is exactly why GM gets paid the big bucks and whichever way he goes, I will support him. Just damn glad it's not my decision to make.

I do, however, doubt that we would be even in the mix if the door was totally closed on the roster for Noel.

Comment

• Still, if Noel comes:

CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X