Perry Ellis- Decision to KU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTXE and the other's who supposedly "don't care."

OK. We get it. Your continued posts in this thread are a sure sign of your ambivalence towards the subject.

MTXE, a sure sign of intelligence is attempting to denigrate those who do not speak like you, so keep it up. I am sure Perry will strive to reach the echelon of class you've achieved yourself.

For everyone else who isn't as butthurt, there's nothing to feel bad about. We have a great coach, a phenomenal 2012 class, and a lot of other things to be happy about. Perry grew up a KU fan because that was the only nearby team to cheer about when he in his formative years. That is changing.
    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Being in Perry's final four says a lot about how far WSU has come in the last 7-8 years. It would have been great to have a kid as down to earth as he is on our team. Not to mention the hometown hero angle.
      That being said, with the talent we have been recruiting lately, IMHO from a basketball standpoint I don't feel he would have taken us a great deal further. No doubt he makes us better, but we are no longer at a point where we need to rely on the shoulders of one player to take us to the heights we so desire.
      Yes, I would have loved to 'stick it to' ku by being the surprise choice, but the level of my heart being broken is about as high as the level of their expectation that we would get him.
      Good luck Perry. Hopefully one day we will see you in the tourney and can give you the Trevor Releford treatment.

Comment

• Enough already!!! The kid has made his decision. Some of the remarks on this board in the last several hours have been uncalled for.

What Perry said was that KU was "far enough away to feel away but close enough I can come back anytime." In other words, he didn't want to stay home. He is like a great many young people in that he wants to have the freedom being at KU will bring, yet he can still be close to his family and they can, for the most part, see him play.

Actually I think I would have preferred he made his sentiment about staying at home known quite a long time ago. I don't think that particular aspect of his recruitment is something he "just" decided.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxtop
          Being in Perry's final four says a lot about how far WSU has come in the last 7-8 years. It would have been great to have a kid as down to earth as he is on our team. Not to mention the hometown hero angle.
          That being said, with the talent we have been recruiting lately, IMHO from a basketball standpoint I don't feel he would have taken us a great deal further. No doubt he makes us better, but we are no longer at a point where we need to rely on the shoulders of one player to take us to the heights we so desire.
          Yes, I would have loved to 'stick it to' ku by being the surprise choice, but the level of my heart being broken is about as high as the level of their expectation that we would get him.
          Good luck Perry. Hopefully one day we will see you in the tourney and can give you the Trevor Releford treatment.
          Unless someone here in Shockernet land is personally close to PE, no one knows if he truly was interested in WSU or was being politically correct by having the university in his backyard named as a candidate.

I firmly believe he had WSU in his circle to appease the locals. It was a nice gesture by PE and have no problem with him being throwing us a charitable bone.

You and I may be right or wrong - nonetheless I wish the young man luck and am glad he is staying within the state. I'm just pissed that we cannot lock up our top tier local talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl
            MTXE, a sure sign of intelligence is attempting to denigrate those who do not speak like you, so keep it up.
            I am not challenging Tommy Hilfiger's diction because his native language is Arabic or Russian. I've heard so much about him being an outstanding individual as well as student. I'm sorry, but unless he has the ability to drop the Ebonics in the classroom (which at this time has never been done), he ain't writin' no A papers.

Now, this is no problem for KU, they are no strangers to recruiting players who need more than a little assistance in the classrom. Heck, they even recruit players without high-school diplomas.

First impressions are everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by XManCometh
              Originally posted by shox1989
              Originally posted by RoyalShock
              There are more people on SN right now than after a big victory.
              That just shows what a big missed opportunity this was. The euphoria he could have created in this city would have been something if he had picked WSU. It would have been something very special.

Now he will be just one of the many prized recruits that ku gets each year. Nothing special.
              Here would have been my pitch to Perry:

Come to WSU and become a superstar in the city and a MVC MVP 3 straight years and STILL go to the NBA, or go to KU and ride the pine for a year, then hope you don't become another Eric Chenowith.
              I don't think he'll ride the pine at KU, I think he's going to see significant minutes off the bat. But I also don't think KU fans are going to be as grateful to have him on their team. KU fans will appreciate him only for what he does For them on the basketball court alone, whereas WSU fans would have apprecaited him on a much higher level.

I hope he gets everything that he deserves, which is a lot. Let's just hope Self is able to do for him what he did for the Morris twins. Perry seems like a fine young man that deserves to get as much as he can from his college experience and onto a rewarding NBA career.
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• I'll go ahead and say it:

Town-for-town, Wichita will always have a hard time beating Lawrence, no matter how old you are or your political affiliation.

Basketball team for basketball team, WSU will always have a hard time beating KU.

It's just the way it is. Deep down, many of us know it.
                The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• I wish him and his family the very best and hope he has a wonderful career and likewise a most successful life..

Needless to say, it is very disappointing to lose a home grown talent like Perry to KU where he will more than likely be one of several other talented players.

While, had he become a Shocker, he would likely have been idolized in his home town for the rest of his life.

Comment

• To quote Coach Norman Dale:

"I would hope you support who we are, not who we are not."
                    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by MTXE
                      This is 2011 Wichita, Kansas. It's time we stop naming our children after luxury clothing and automobiles and allowing them to talk like Dr. Dre.
                      [/url]
                      Actually Dr. Dre is fairly articulate. Of course you would know that if you knew who Dr. Dre was.

Back to the topic at hand....

Comment

• Is Perry as good of student as Dreamius Smith? Is Perry really ranked #1 in his class?

I'm not insinuating that Perry is not a really good person with a really good family. I'm not saying they didn't handle his recruitment in a classy way. I'm not saying that he won't eventually become an articulate basketball player.

I am saying that his press conference did not reflect positively on the educators at Wichita Heights or on Perry's intellect. Is that type of speech communication common at Heights and put forward as the best of the best?

Maybe, I am just truly out of touch and incapable of understanding. The editor can usually always find fault with what I write and how I speak, yet in this case....I am unafraid to throw a very small stone!!

RJL, we will always have a hard time beating KU because they take care not to play us. See UNI, Bradley...etc. :goshocks:

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnieBallgame
                          Is Perry as good of student as Dreamius Smith? Is Perry really ranked #1 in his class?

I'm not insinuating that Perry is not a really good person with really a really good family. I'm not saying they didn't handle his recruitment in a classy way. I'm not saying that he won't eventually become an articulate basketball player.

I am saying that his press conference did not reflect positively on the educators at Wichita Heights or on Perry's intellect. Is that type of speech communication common at Heights and put forward as the best of the best?

Maybe, I am just truly out of touch and incapable of understanding. The editor can usually always find fault with what I write and how I speak, yet in this case....I am unafraid to throw a very small stone!!

RJL, we will always have a hard time beating KU because they take care not to play us. See UNI, Bradley...etc. :goshocks:
                          I say this as someone that has always been very good at public speaking, but there is a huge, huge difference between being articulate and being articulate behind a microphone and in front of a crowd of cameras and reporters.

I have seen plenty of smart, well-spoken high school kids that end up looking far worse than Perry did when put in even less stressful speaking positions. Judging his education or intelligence level from this context seems inappropriate to me, especially in light of everything we know about Perry that suggests that he is an intelligent, good student.
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• “According to most studies, people's number one fear is public speaking. Number two is death. Death is number two. Does that sound right? This means to the average person, if you go to a funeral, you're better off in the casket than doing the eulogy.”

Jerry Seinfeld
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Wish him well even if it is KU
                              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• If you guys want to read a 1,300 word novel, you can read my after thoughts on the Ellis decision over there. I felt like I needed to voice my opinion on Seth Davis tweeting Perry's decision minutes before the press conference, and also discus a little bit about how recruit ranking services are biased, with proof from Jeff ******* tweets.

ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X