Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Isaiah Poor Bear Chandler 6'9 2018 a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is definitely a disconnect regarding his recruiting rankings. His 4* at ESPN and 3* at 247 are good rankings but then he was not ranked at Scout and Rivals so not everyone agrees (on what his immediate worth is). The disagreement at the time may have centered around whether he would be grade eligible, or maybe some character issues, or maybe a part of his game was questionable. Whatever it was, some really liked him and others were probably not sold.

The offers from Wright State, Buffalo, etc. were given last spring and summer. New Mexico received an early commitment in October when other schools were still evaluating him and then there was no need for additional offers. He didn't decommit until just a short time ago when almost everyone was done recruiting.

Probably next year, Isaiah won't be ready to be a factor but our coaches felt good regarding his potential, and he appears to have a high ceiling.

Welcome to the Wichita family Isaiah. Our coaches recognize potentially talented players and are top notch in player development

Comment

He's a big body. That's a good thing. I doubt whether we offered him last summer as somebody suggested, but who really knows?

Comment

Can't have too many Bigs, just like we can't have too many Guards or Forwards.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
          Awesome!!! Welcome to Shocker Nation. That's going to be a huge front line with him and Asbjorn both on the floor in a couple of years.
          mm hmm...

Gets up quickly on the second leap too. Pogo stick big man. Bring on the Tar Heels!

Comment

Based off the highlight videos I've watched, pros: he has great size and a nice body. Seems to run the floor relatively well for his size. Cons: he appears to have about a 9" vertical... Doesn't seem overly skilled. Highlight videos are a terrible way to judge a player, but I'm not overly optimistic about the potential on this one.. That being said, I think what he will bring to the table will be more benificial to the team than what Smith did, so I consider this an upgrade. His size will be very helpful come 18-19

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
              There is definitely a disconnect regarding his recruiting rankings. His 4* at ESPN and 3* at 247 are good rankings but then he was not ranked at Scout and Rivals so not everyone agrees (on what his immediate worth is). The disagreement at the time may have centered around whether he would be grade eligible, or maybe some character issues, or maybe a part of his game was questionable. Whatever it was, some really liked him and others were probably not sold.

The offers from Wright State, Buffalo, etc. were given last spring and summer. New Mexico received an early commitment in October when other schools were still evaluating him and then there was no need for additional offers. He didn't decommit until just a short time ago when almost everyone was done recruiting.

Probably next year, Isaiah won't be ready to be a factor but our coaches felt good regarding his potential, and he appears to have a high ceiling.

Welcome to the Wichita family Isaiah. Our coaches recognize potentially talented players and are top notch in player development
              There may not be much disagreement, at all. ESPN 4* and 247 3* may not actually that far apart and "not ranked" at Scout and Rivals may simply mean that he had not been evaluated as opposed to being evaluated and determined to be unworthy. Since he was an early verbal commit to UNM, there was probably little opportunityfor Scout & Rivals to evaluate.
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by Boss1786 View Post
                This one shows he has decent footwork and shooting touch. I think he has great potential to make an impact pretty quickly.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4959366/...e0b513c01b63ae
                Yes, I agree. His shot has a nice softness it.

An extra nice get.

rdr
                "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  The 4* and that list of schools seems like quite a disconnect. Made me look at the clips looking for problems. There are going to be a bunch of 6'9" guys in D1 ball who are likely to elevate higher. There will also be 6'9" guys in D1 who will beat him down the floor in transition.

That doesn't seem like enough to justify that list of offers. Kinda makes you wonder if there might be something you'd never see in a highlight clip that affected his recruiting.
                  All good points.

Nice size.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                    https://twitter.com/Big_I35/status/868871278480031745 Show this kid some love on the tweeter.

Welcome to Shocker Nation, Isaiah!

Here are Isaiah's senior season highlights - just posted Wednesday: http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4959366/...e0b513c01b63ae
                    What a nice shot. He is gonna be a lot of fun. The Valley got lucky.

rdr

--Niels Bohr

Comment

As with a lot of HS bigs, his highlight video is mostly against undersized opponents. Even so, there is a lot there for our coaches to work with. As long as the IQ part of the game isn't a major struggle, as it seemed to be with Hamilton, I see no reason he couldn't be a solid, versatile contributor in the post by his sophomore season.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                        Isaiah is 2017.

His footwork is really impressive for his size. Looks like another typical Gregg recruit, an effort guy with great character that's a team player. I would assume he's probably a center but I wouldn't rule him out of the question to play the 4 spot either. Another great get for Coach Lindsted.
                        Shaq at 5.
                        Bear at 4.
                        Serious size.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
                          Nice 2017 commit, perfect red shirt candidate.
                          I don't know....

Of course, I thought Tim Duncan would never make it in the NBA.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

I readily admit to not following the recruiting as close as I should, so this maybe a silly question for the hardcore recruiting types.

How many 4-star recruits have we signed during HCGM's tenure?

Was Fred a 3-star or 4-star?

Again, my apologies for my ignorance.

I was a shitty HS point guard on a fair to midland 4A team, so I may not appreciate the subtleties but the ESPN 4-star branding has me smiling at this commitment. Obviously HCGM likes what he sees, so...

Go Shocks!
                            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
                              God Bear I believe.
                              Lmao. You must remember the days, when the Bars were relevant in the Valley.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                                I understand that not every good player gets the looks they need to get the offers they merit. It's a lot easier to be "found" in Omaha than in Scott City.
                                I wish you would stop with the damn logic.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
                                X