No announcement yet.

Any news on Orukpe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If one of the five on the floor is not an offensive threat, it is best that it is the 5 slot. The defender cannot run away from him or leave him alone, lest the rebound and putback are for the taking. Defenders can sag from a threatless guard or forward, but the defender has to stay on the post guy.
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Last Season, Rags and Stutz really improved and all 5 Seniors had some special moments for us. Likewise, it would be sweet to see Malcom, D-Will, Hall, and EO each come out on the other side with solid Senior Seasons'. So far, these 4 are doing what we expect in the confines of our team play and some leadership is already evolving for us early on, just as the Doc ordered.

If EO can just continue to build on his performance from last game and execute his own role, that would be plenty cool. He does not need to be a hero and there will be games the match-ups might not favor his minutes as much as others. It is nice having 12 solid players and we have not even touched the surface yet. Wait until Chadrack, Wiggins and Baker really get it!!!! Yikes!!!

EO sets picks, rebounds, can pass to the open players, block and alter shots, will score some inside points, and will hustle like there is no tomorrow. EO does not have to be a franchise player this Season. However, if he gives us his best in execution and efforts, believe me when I suggest that it will really help us and we can't expect more than that from him or any other player. Coach Marshall has never given up on EO and stays on him like a cheap suit. No way would 3G have stuck with EO like superglue if there was not a silver lining to be gained in the big picture.

I am really liking our interior D. It is like pulling hens teeth for our foes to get an easy inside shot because our bigs are patroling the paint like hungry sharks at suppa time. I like it. I like it alot!!!!!!!
      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrschh View Post
        If you watched the DePaul and Iowa games, not once did they sag down on him when he was on the block. Basically, right now, teams think they can guard him one-on-one on the block.
        DePaul had a double on him the moment he touched the ball on the block. The moment the pass went down low, the second defender came over and they had a defender blocking his moves to the basket from either direction. EO is getting better at finding the open shooter in those situations.

EO does appear more comfortable facing the basket. It seems that when he has his back to the basket, he ends up in different positions on the court when he gets space for a shot. Then he has to find the basket before he's comfortable shooting at it. A lot of back-to-the-basket post moves depend on the post player knowing where the basket is before starting the shot. Orukpe doesn't have that working yet.

Orukpe's form on FT's is good. He's around 50% from the line. If he's closer than 15' and unguarded, I've got no problem with him shooting the ball. Even if he's guarded, if he can shoot over the defender comfortably, nd hit 50% from closer than 15', that's the percentage you would want for a possession.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
          DePaul had a double on him the moment he touched the ball on the block. The moment the pass went down low, the second defender came over and they had a defender blocking his moves to the basket from either direction. EO is getting better at finding the open shooter in those situations.
          I stand corrected, regarding DePaul. You refreshed my memory, I do remember he did make some good passes out from the block. I guess the limited minutes (12 I think) he played in that game were overshadowed by his time in the Iowa game. I do know for a fact Iowa never sagged or doubled on him. There were several times he was open one-on-one, but our parameter player chose to rotate the ball instead. Maybe it's a confidence thing the other players have w/ him, or something. Hopefully,that will improve.

So, are you saying you'd rather have EO work on his "outside" game rather than develop his post game?? That was the thread I was responding to.

Comment

• There is no reason to pass the ball to EO underneath unless he has totally sealed his man within 5 foot of the basket. With his back to the basket, outside of that range he is going to struggle. Hall, OTOH can play inside out up to 12 foot away and keep reestablishing position or dribble to a spot and get his shot.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
              There is no reason to pass the ball to EO underneath unless he has totally sealed his man within 5 foot of the basket. With his back to the basket, outside of that range he is going to struggle. Hall, OTOH can play inside out up to 12 foot away and keep reestablishing position or dribble to a spot and get his shot.
              I'm not sure if you were responding to my post above or just making a general comment, but when I mentioned "open one-on-one", I was referring to when he had his guy sealed off on the block. Sorry for not being clear.
              Last edited by jrschh; November 26, 2012, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                There is no reason to pass the ball to EO underneath unless he has totally sealed his man within 5 foot of the basket. With his back to the basket, outside of that range he is going to struggle. Hall, OTOH can play inside out up to 12 foot away and keep reestablishing position or dribble to a spot and get his shot.
                False. There's still reason if he's outside 5 feet. And that's to make the defense react and create movement elsewhere. He doesn't have to shoot from 10 feet out, but just because he's there doesn't mean he shouldn't touch the ball. He passes pretty well and sees the court just fine.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  False. There's still reason if he's outside 5 feet. And that's to make the defense react and create movement elsewhere. He doesn't have to shoot from 10 feet out, but just because he's there doesn't mean he shouldn't touch the ball. He passes pretty well and sees the court just fine.
                  Sorry, I meant no reason to pass to him with the intent of him scoring.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• I have watched and loved basketball all my adult life. I have never played so have to defer to those "in the know" about the ins-and-outs of the plays and basketball strategies. I love it when EO is on the court. He had a great game with Iowa, but from past observations I find that EO's effectiveness is limited by the amount of time he is on the court. I know, I know, that is an obvious statement as it could be held true with any player at any position. But come conference time, I hope we can keep EO on the court. MVC officials have not been very kind to Shocker big men in the past and I don't know if that's going to be any better this year. Here's hoping his ankle injury is slight.

Comment

• I don't think Orukpe will get the foul calls that hurt Stutz. Stutz sort of fouled in "slow motion", so contact appeared more obvious. Orukpe's movement is more fluid, quicker, and crisper than Stutz's. That tends to look "more natural" and I believe will result in fewer fouls being called on Orukpe. It's also a lot harder to jump into Orukpe because of his quicker reflexes. Stutz got hammered when shooters jumped into him to create contact.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                        I don't think Orukpe will get the foul calls that hurt Stutz. Stutz sort of fouled in "slow motion", so contact appeared more obvious. Orukpe's movement is more fluid, quicker, and crisper than Stutz's. That tends to look "more natural" and I believe will result in fewer fouls being called on Orukpe. It's also a lot harder to jump into Orukpe because of his quicker reflexes. Stutz got hammered when shooters jumped into him to create contact.
                        Exactly.

Referees respect athleticism and speed and EO is playing smart. When EO fouls you usually know it because he absolutely intends to. I don't mind a center hammering a guy when getting a foul. It's those "stand there fouls" that really piss me off. Stutz had a PHD in committing the soft foul along with the attacker finishing a pretty little layup. If you foul in the post, you better make it count, and the ball BETTER not go in the hole.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Not sure how to find this out, but it would be intetesting to see how many and 1s were given up by stutz compared to EO.

I cant think of any on EO, but I seem to remember a lot on stutz, just because of fouls called, that really werent because they didnt alter or hinder shots.

I agree, if its gonna be a foul, make sure that shot has no chance of going in.
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Last year, Carl Hall had zero game outside of 5 feet and he did just fine. This year, Carl's game has allegedly expanded, but I don't think I've seen it yet outside of shocker madness.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                              Not sure how to find this out, but it would be intetesting to see how many and 1s were given up by stutz compared to EO.

I cant think of any on EO, but I seem to remember a lot on stutz, just because of fouls called, that really werent because they didnt alter or hinder shots.

I agree, if its gonna be a foul, make sure that shot has no chance of going in.
                              I'm gonna guess Stutz has had more, considering the disparity in playing time between the two.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• According to a Suellentrop tweet EO is in a walking boot and questionable for Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
                                X