Any news on Orukpe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official YouTube channel for Wichita State Athletics

It's towards the end at the opposite end of the court. You can see it in the background.

Comment

• Wow. He was able to push GS to the outside and catch the ball inside and take it to the hoop. That will be tough to defend, in OR out of Valley play.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Not sure about the "push GS to the outside". Looked more like GS wanted to front EO. I'm not saying whether he should of or not, but if you do front a big man that possibly has a weak jump shot / limited dribbling skills, you better be sure your teammates are backing your play and rotating.

Comment

• Obviously, it was just a drill. I didn't see any other defenders on the court besides GS. The encouraging thing is - he posted up - caught the ball - put it in the hole - and there was nothing awkward about it. He was very smooth. Hopefully he can translate that into a game.

Comment

• Thanks Mo...When #31 flashed across the screen I could have sworn it was Kyle Wilson.

Good stuff.
            "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
            which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

• I saw EO dunk...HARD...over a pretty good defender.

I'm not sayin, I'm just saying....

Comment

• Saweeet!

Comment

• Here's my current take on Orukpe.

He's not performing up to some expectations. It's safe to say that some Shocker fans had unrealistic expectations based on EO's size, athleticism and the efforts the staff went through to get him here. Those fans now seem to think that EO is a bust. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the same people who pronounced Miller and Stutz a bust for 3 years have now given up on EO.

Look at what we needed from Orukpe. Last year we had 4 solid front court players. We didn't need Orukpe. It would have been great if he had been a world beater and given us a 5th solid front court player, but tht was probably an unrealistic expectation.

This year, we need a backup at his position. It looks like we're going to get that Next year we need a starter. I believe we're going to get that, too.

Orukpe appears to be providing exactly what WSU needs from him over his career. It would have been nice to have Olajuwan, Jr., but there has been 20+ years without that guy showing up on the face of the earth.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I agree with Aargh here. I think we are definitely going to get want we need from EO this year. I read an article couple of days back on him and it felt really good to read HCGM's comments on him.

Some nice Quotes from that article.

And he vows to validate all the positive vibes you send his way with a season worthy of your admiration. It's his biggest season yet.

"I feel it from them,'' he said, without defining it. "I'm going to make sure I give them everything they want from me. That's my goal. It's such a great atmosphere out here. The fans love you so you just play your heart out to become the best player you can be.''

"If this crowd had seen Ehimen play (Monday) in practice, he was an all-conference player,'' Marshall said. "And the day before that he was second-team all-conference. He blocked shots, dunked, ran the floor, rebounded, played aggressively, didn't drop the ball. He just played within himself and played with toughness, agility and the kind of aggressive athleticism that few people can do with his size.''

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                      Here's my current take on Orukpe.

He's not performing up to some expectations. It's safe to say that some Shocker fans had unrealistic expectations based on EO's size, athleticism and the efforts the staff went through to get him here. Those fans now seem to think that EO is a bust. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the same people who pronounced Miller and Stutz a bust for 3 years have now given up on EO.

Look at what we needed from Orukpe. Last year we had 4 solid front court players. We didn't need Orukpe. It would have been great if he had been a world beater and given us a 5th solid front court player, but tht was probably an unrealistic expectation.

This year, we need a backup at his position. It looks like we're going to get that Next year we need a starter. I believe we're going to get that, too.

Orukpe appears to be providing exactly what WSU needs from him over his career. It would have been nice to have Olajuwan, Jr., but there has been 20+ years without that guy showing up on the face of the earth.
                      As you say Aargh based on the expectations that were presented to us by HCGM and media, big, fast, athletic, etc...he is performing well under expectations...not exactly a bust. I still question whether it was all worth it or not...time will tell.

Your comment about playing behind 4 solid front court players last year is a little misleading. Your comment would suggest he could play both front court positions, and we all know that is not accurate. He played behind 1 very inconsistent post player in Stutz (NIT performance not withstanding). I'm sorry, but with all the hoopla that surrounded EO for the past several years a realistic expectation would have been for him to play much more behind our 1 true post player.

There is a big difference between "world beater" and a reasonable 12-15 minute player last season, which he couldn't even do that. I do see a slight improvement at best so far this year. We can talk about the benefits of him being a shot blocker and rebounder, but I noticed a couple of times vs. ESU he missed the block which took him totally out of rebounding position, where ESU got the rebound.

I am reasonably encouraged that EO can give us 10-15 minutes of rest for Stutz this year. I just don't see him as a starter, an effective one at least, for next year. We better be damn good at 1-4 if that is the case.

Don't hate me for this perspective, because I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Comment

• EO isn't going to get any better sitting on the bench. He's probably already better than 50% of the centers starting in the MVC. All he needs is a chance to get regular action so he can figure it out. Fortunately for us, we didn't need to throw him into the fire. It must say something for Marshall to stick with him this long and I trust the coach on this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                          As you say Aargh based on the expectations that were presented to us by HCGM and media, big, fast, athletic, etc...he is performing well under expectations...not exactly a bust. I still question whether it was all worth it or not...time will tell.

Your comment about playing behind 4 solid front court players last year is a little misleading. Your comment would suggest he could play both front court positions, and we all know that is not accurate. He played behind 1 very inconsistent post player in Stutz (NIT performance not withstanding). I'm sorry, but with all the hoopla that surrounded EO for the past several years a realistic expectation would have been for him to play much more behind our 1 true post player.

There is a big difference between "world beater" and a reasonable 12-15 minute player last season, which he couldn't even do that. I do see a slight improvement at best so far this year. We can talk about the benefits of him being a shot blocker and rebounder, but I noticed a couple of times vs. ESU he missed the block which took him totally out of rebounding position, where ESU got the rebound.

I am reasonably encouraged that EO can give us 10-15 minutes of rest for Stutz this year. I just don't see him as a starter, an effective one at least, for next year. We better be damn good at 1-4 if that is the case.

Don't hate me for this perspective, because I'm not the only one that feels this way.
                          I will give you that having the four post players ahead of EO last year kept him out of close games. We had plenty of lopsided games where EO should have been given the opportunity to gain game experience. Did our other post players need the minutes to develop when three of them were not coming back this year? I contend that the Team would be better off this year had EO gotten some of those minutes. Marshall has repeatedly said that EO just needs more experience. Well, as Coach, the responsibility to get him that experience is all his. I do not place any of the blame for the perceived lack of advancement on EO. He has the work ethic to succeed. Unfortunately college players are only given five years to play four and he may be running out of time.
                          “Confrontation simply means meeting the truth head-on.”

Mike Krzyzewski

Comment

• Ehimen has come a long way already, and with the increased playing time this year he's only going to get better. I'm not worried. I've enjoyed seeing him play the last few opportunities and seeing how he's come along. All will be just fine.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• @SHOXMVC:, you say "based on the expectations that were presented to us by HCGM and media, big, fast, athletic, etc...he is performing well under expectations...not exactly a bust." Those are your expectations that he should be the #2 center after his first step on campus. Coaches/media did state that he is big, fast, athletic, etc. The fact that you ignored that they also stated he was "raw and inexperienced," has lead you to the incorrect conclusion that he is performing under realistic expectations. He is still all of the above (positive and negative).

You, and many others, believe that when a big man gets here that he is "game ready." That just isn't true and hasn't been for decades. Stutz has been ordinary for three years, though we expect a big senior season (I can't wait for the nay-sayers to come out of the wood work when he posts his first 7 point, 2 rebound effort). Despite Durley's huge offensive talent, it took him till his 4th year on campus before we knew he would pan out. Miller was pedestrian for four years. Before that, Troy Mack struggled until his last year on campus. Who was good from day 1? Top 75 player Kyle Wilson who had 1 year at Illinois and 1 on the bench before playing? We haven't had a 6-8+ player come in and average better than 7 points and 5 rebounds in 25 minutes since Darren Williams (though Rob Kampman was close).

Any WSU fan that expects a first year player to dominate the competition just isn't paying attention to the whole story! That may be changing with juco's like Carl Hall and Cleanthony Early coming in, but that is not the yearly norm.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                                @SHOXMVC:, you say "based on the expectations that were presented to us by HCGM and media, big, fast, athletic, etc...he is performing well under expectations...not exactly a bust." Those are your expectations that he should be the #2 center after his first step on campus. Coaches/media did state that he is big, fast, athletic, etc. The fact that you ignored that they also stated he was "raw and inexperienced," has lead you to the incorrect conclusion that he is performing under realistic expectations. He is still all of the above (positive and negative).

You, and many others, believe that when a big man gets here that he is "game ready." That just isn't true and hasn't been for decades. Stutz has been ordinary for three years, though we expect a big senior season (I can't wait for the nay-sayers to come out of the wood work when he posts his first 7 point, 2 rebound effort). Despite Durley's huge offensive talent, it took him till his 4th year on campus before we knew he would pan out. Miller was pedestrian for four years. Before that, Troy Mack struggled until his last year on campus. Who was good from day 1? Top 75 player Kyle Wilson who had 1 year at Illinois and 1 on the bench before playing? We haven't had a 6-8+ player come in and average better than 7 points and 5 rebounds in 25 minutes since Darren Williams (though Rob Kampman was close).

Any WSU fan that expects a first year player to dominate the competition just isn't paying attention to the whole story! That may be changing with juco's like Carl Hall and Cleanthony Early coming in, but that is not the yearly norm.
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X