2016-17 Bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
    Has there been a year in recent memory in which a number one seed was sent to the geographically closest site but would have preferred to go to a different site? I just don't see how this is a particularly important change.
    How is this going to work? Will the #1 seed be told in advance of the selection committee putting together the bracket, which means the team would need to know at least 24 hours prior to the announcement of the bracket? Could UNC choose to go to Sacramento because of the other teams assigned to that bracket, and then would that mean the #1 seed from Sacrament would go to Greensboro, in effect "trading places" with UNC?
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
      How is this going to work? Will the #1 seed be told in advance of the selection committee putting together the bracket, which means the team would need to know at least 24 hours prior to the announcement of the bracket? Could UNC choose to go to Sacramento because of the other teams assigned to that bracket, and then would that mean the #1 seed from Sacrament would go to Greensboro, in effect "trading places" with UNC?
      The article states that potential number one seeds will be asked their preference ahead of time

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
        @FlyingWheat: answered it correctly.

Because of that, it makes me think there's no real benefit. I assume it's just a way to hype the tournament. The NCAA or ESPN can say "WSU was contacted to learn their preference in location. They are in the hunt for the overall number one seed!" "KU wasn't contacted, but that makes sense because they're headed to the NIT" that kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
          Nice - now let's go get us another UNDEFEATED SEASON!!!! Tulsa here we come!!!
          What about Intrust!!!

Comment

Originally posted by shocksrbest View Post
            What about Intrust!!!
            You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by shocksrbest View Post
              What about Intrust!!!
              Unfortunately, not possible.

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
              Even in 2018.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                Unfortunately, not possible.

Even in 2018.
                It's possible. Shocks will have to drop out as a co host and let the valley host it on it's own.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
                  It's possible. Shocks will have to drop out as a co host and let the valley host it on it's own.
                  So the Valley would have to do something for the Shocks benefit? Nope, not possible.

Comment

It happened so that Oklahoma could play in OKC a while back. Can't remember which season. But yes, the Valley doing something for our benefit seems unlikely.
                    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Or we drop out because we are no longer in the valley...

Who am I kidding. It puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again is our life now...
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
                        I believe the problem is the seating capacity of the arena. NCAA is focusing on larger venues.

Comment

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                          I believe the problem is the seating capacity of the arena. NCAA is focusing on larger venues.
                          I may not understand what you mean, but Intrust was already selected as an NCAA site. http://ksn.com/2014/11/17/wichita-wi...ament-in-2018/

Comment

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                            The Super Arenas are definitely being used for the Final 4 and the more a team progresses into the Tournament, but during the opening rounds, 15,000 seats is enough. I think that 12,000 (Kansas Coliseum) is still enough for opening rounds, but Arenas in the size are less likely to be awarded the event.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                              The Super Arenas are definitely being used for the Final 4 and the more a team progresses into the Tournament, but during the opening rounds, 15,000 seats is enough. I think that 12,000 (Kansas Coliseum) is still enough for opening rounds, but Arenas in the size are less likely to be awarded the event.
                              Even for the Sweet16/Elite8 sites, the NCAA is trying to use arenas instead of domes. Of the 12 regional finals sites that were announced a couple years ago for 2016-2018 NCAA Tournaments, none of them were domes.
                              78-65

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                                I may not understand what you mean, but Intrust was already selected as an NCAA site. http://ksn.com/2014/11/17/wichita-wi...ament-in-2018/
                                No, you're right. I had vague memories of "NCAA seating" concerns when the Arena was first being discussed, as though it was being built too small to attract the tourney. Old memories...obviously wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X