2015-16 Media love thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Heinro View Post
    More than likely not. I would be very interested to see, for people who were at all of them, which people would consider their favorite: Gonzaga, Ohio St., or KU. I guess you could even include Kentucky or Louisville, but the L really detracts from the experience.
    You must be too young to remember the run-up to the battle at New Orleans, Heinro.

The better question, which would have to be posed to relative old-timers, is how those games from the recent Final Four run compare to the comeback game at Levitt Arena against Iowa, or to the Mike Jones 66-65 win against the Chickenhawks. Personally, I'd pick the win over Iowa -- but that's also the only one I actually attended (I watched the others on TV), so my opinion is probably a little slanted as a result.

Comment

• Yes, far too young. In 2006, I would have been a junior in high school. So starting with Portland, I have tried to not miss any tourney games of ours. I wasn't able to make it to Cleveland last year. Really hopeful to be able watch Fred and Ron finish their careers live, wherever that may be. Dayton I will probably be out of luck.

Comment

• Sorry if this is a duplicate.

Adam Emmenecker provides details on UNI, Southern Illinois and Wichita State during non-conference play.

Saw this after the Conference call. Adam Emmenecker talking about the Valley and the Shocks non-conference slate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heinro View Post
          More than likely not. I would be very interested to see, for people who were at all of them, which people would consider their favorite: Gonzaga, Ohio St., or KU. I guess you could even include Kentucky or Louisville, but the L really detracts from the experience.
          I was at all of those. I'd pick Gonzaga because of the comeback and it was unexpected (at least by me) that we would win, and them being #1. I expected us to beat KU. After the Gonzaga game I expected to beat Ohio State, but it was awesome knowing after the win we would be in the final four. I didn't think we would beat Kentucky or Louisville but it was exciting that we had a chance in both.
          I'm hedging a lot here, but I will probably recount the KU win most often, but primarily because KC is KU-ville.
          I was at the Iowa game too. That had the best finish over all the above.
          I had season FOOTBALL tix... did you?

Comment

• A write up from CBS Sports: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...der-evansville

However, the story here is Wichita. Winners of seven of their last eight, the Shockers are finally back to being the team we expected in the preseason. The league is deep, so I don't know that this team will be able to run through the MVC like they have in past seasons. And because of that, they still ultimately might need to win the conference tournament to get into the NCAA tournament.
            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
              That's a nice contradiction. If the league was theoretically deeper, then WSU should theoretically have a larger margin of error in terms of losses.

And some people still seem to forget that the NCAA has specifically said that the injuries were going to be considered and the losses in Orlando weren't going to be fully judged because of them.

Our margin of error is thin but expecting a team to go undefeated or bust isn't logical or practical. Even though non-power schools are expected to play perfect all year long.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                That's a nice contradiction. If the league was theoretically deeper, then WSU should theoretically have a larger margin of error in terms of losses.

And some people still seem to forget that the NCAA has specifically said that the injuries were going to be considered and the losses in Orlando weren't going to be fully judged because of them.

Our margin of error is thin but expecting a team to go undefeated or bust isn't logical or practical. Even though non-power schools are expected to play perfect all year long.
                They probably agree with you. It depends what the margin of error is. I don't think that we can lose four reg. season games and one tournament game and still get in. Lose two regular season games and the Tournament Championship and we still have a chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Those 3 games appear to make like a 15-20 spot difference in RPI. I used the RPI wizard site and set us to win every game out except the road game at UE and we got an RPI of 32. If you drop the 3 games in Orlando it jumps to 17.

Add a loss @SIU its 35 and 21 respectively.

Add another loss @UNI and its 46 and 26 respectively.

So if they truly take into account for the injuries we can lose @UE, @SIU, @UNI and still have a good RPI. I don't think its worth the risk though ha!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                    They probably agree with you. It depends what the margin of error is. I don't think that we can lose four reg. season games and one tournament game and still get in. Lose two regular season games and the Tournament Championship and we still have a chance.
                    Actually, I think if we win the Tournament Championship we have a really good chance at making the tournament.

Comment

• Wichita State (9). The selection committee is going to give Gregg Marshall some much-deserved credit for putting together a challenging schedule, and it will give the Shockers the benefit of the doubt because they did not have a full complement of players for any of their losses.

Last edited by Steeleshocker; January 11, 2016, 06:39 PM.
                      You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• 8. Wichita State is back on track
                        Wichita State was ranked 10th in the preseason AP poll. Then the Shockers lost Fred VanVleet to a hamstring injury, Landry Shamet to a stress fracture and Anton Grady to a spinal concussion, and that, more than anything else, is why they started 2-4. But now VanVleet and Grady are back, and Kansas transfer Conner Frankamp is eligible and getting comfortable, and Gregg Marshall's team has won eight of their past nine games with the lone loss coming in overtime at Seton Hall. So bottom line, you can probably expect to see the Shockers in the NCAA Tournament again, dangerous as always.
                        :poster_wu:
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                          Wichita State (9). The selection committee is going to give Gregg Marshall some much-deserved credit for putting together a challenging schedule, and it will give the Shockers the benefit of the doubt because they did not have a full complement of players for any of their losses.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball...caa-tournament
                          Also from that article:

The best thing about Melo Trimble’s game-winning three-pointer at Wisconsin on Saturday is that the Terps had a time out remaining and Mark Turgeon declined to use it. Bless your heart, Mark Turgeon.
                          If they only knew...

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                            Also from that article:

If they only knew...
                            He literally didn't have the option.

#rulechange

Comment

• WSU #6 in this ranking the unranked article.

There are so many D-I teams in college basketball (351), the AP Top 25 doesn't even cover the top 10 percent of programs, so we've taken it upon ourselves to rank the next 25 at roughly the midway point of the 2015-16 season...
                              ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                                WSU #6 in this ranking the unranked article.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...is_shared=true
                                Thanks, maniac, but whose side is this writer on? First he says he cursed the Shocks by saying they could flirt with perfection again this season, and then he ends by saying they have a realistic chance to go 18-0 in the Valley. I'm not disagreeing necessarily, because I've said a few times myself that I think this team, with LeFred back and Grady recovering, could conceivably go the rest of the way without losing to a Valley opponent. But, still: karma, thy name is not Kerry Miller.

Comment

Working...
                                X