The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nm
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
      I'd just like to say that it gets really old every year that during what should be the best time of year for the Shockers we have to deal with talking about this crap. I wish we could all just enjoy the ride. If he leaves, he leaves. Gregg has given us more than we could ever ask for, and if he wants to leave he can and should, he's earned it. It isn't something we should worry about right now, we should enjoy beating KU and Indiana and looking forward to the Sweet 16 against Notre Dame.
      I believe we discussed the Serenity Prayer, which I wrongly attributed to St Francis, last year regarding HCGM's situation and our place as fans and boosters, it is something to remember.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

My Bold Gold peanuts can do little if any to impact this situation so the situation is what it is.

Go Shocks!
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
        I believe we discussed the Serenity Prayer, which I wrongly attributed to St Francis, last year regarding HCGM's situation and our place as fans and boosters, it is something to remember.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

My Bold Gold peanuts can do little if any to impact this situation so the situation is what it is.

Go Shocks!
        How do your bold gold peanuts hang? Angry? haha

Love that angle on the prayer.
        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
          Not as long as my normal AARs because most has already been said but I will add a few things:

-Scalpers who peddle outside the venue suck. I have never met a nice one and they bring out the trash talking worst of me quickly. To put on a shirt of a participating team and hit up a team that has just lost for tickets as if they are a fan really wanting to see their own team play is a cruel marketing scam that deserves a nut punch.

-Most KU fans I encountered and actually talked to were okay. Two or three from Wichita or SCKS specifically told me that there are three types of KU fans: leeches that just hang onto a winner with no affiliation whatsoever to the school or university, common folk that actually have some connection to the school and love the tradition and history of their hoops, and then the Johnson County mentality, which somehow finds its way to other parts of the state. These are the entitled, arrogant, pricks who pretend that the University of Kansas is the only redeeming cultural, educational, or social experience in the entire state. Some actually have money, most say they have money, but few have ever been taken out of their 50 mile radius comfort zone to understand WTF the rest of us really do or enjoy. Pretty funny listening to these guys who were just damn cool and hard not to like. The common denominator in all as I referenced earlier was a vast look of worry about the inevitable ass beating their team was going to take in a day or two and how they were going to live with it until they beat the hell out of Emporia State the first week of November next year.

-Met another couple of KU fans that were WSU graduates. Hello? Someone explain this phenomenon to me please.

-Wisconsin fans are a blast. Liver transplants up there have to be as common as cheese curds as much as these folks drink. I think the Old Mattress Factory may have run out of beer had the tournament lasted a day longer. Even though they are Power 5 bunch, they rooted for us yesterday and its hard not to like the way Bo Ryan does things.

-Oklahoma State had about 20 fans there. Is there really that much apathy in Stoolwater that Coastal Carolina nearly outdraws you in support?

-As much as I really don't care for Altman, Oregon is fun to watch. No they don't play alot of defense but at least their games are somewhat entertaining with their athleticism.

-Indiana should (and I say it very cautiously) be a legit top ten team next year if everyone comes back. They are that talented and the third best team we played this year who would've given the other two (UNI and Utah) all they wanted.

-Every Creighton fan I ran into was seriously cool which was almost a disappointment from a guy who gets his fan douchery reports from this board. They all to a man said they wanted a series with us and some were not real happy they left the conference.

-The ticket distribution system for SASO donors blows. Not only can you not pick up your tickets very early, you have no clue until when you get them where you are sitting, which makes it tough to horse trade and upgrade in such a short time. Don't know what the answer is, but there has to be a better way.

-Coach at the Pep Rally was a classic. Would love to have a video of his speech if anyone could post it.

-Went back on I-80 through York and it seemed like it took forever compared to the 75 route. Not sure I will ever do that again.
          I am real confused as to why this post was moved here.

Comment

I'd just like to say that it gets really old every year that during what should be the best time of year for the Shockers we have to deal with talking about this crap. I wish we could all just enjoy the ride. If he leaves, he leaves. Gregg has given us more than we could ever ask for, and if he wants to leave he can and should, he's earned it. It isn't something we should worry about right now, we should enjoy beating KU and Indiana and looking forward to the Sweet 16 against Notre Dame.
            This.

Comment

• @kai:

Can you please give shoxlax his thread back? I think you made a mistake. Thanks.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                -Oklahoma State had about 20 fans there. Is there really that much apathy in Stoolwater that Coastal Carolina nearly outdraws you in support?

From what I've seen of the Oklahoma State fan, they keep up with sports, but not anything like the rabid followings the Kansas schools have. Football is what Oklahoma State fans seem to follow the closest and they don't even travel well for that.. They have a mild interest in basketball and if you want a truly good laugh, sit down and watch a baseball game with an Oklahoma State fan. They recognize baseball as a sport,but that is about as far the interest goes.
                Yep. Friday was my wife birthday and we drove down to caney kansas (30 minutes north of Bartlesville, ok) to see her family. I don't know why, but everyone down there in that area are OSU fans. Later on I was watching the Oregon/OSU game when my wife's nephew walked in, wearing an OSU Tshirt BTW, saw the game and replied "oh, I didn't know OSU was playing today. "
                I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
                If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  @kai

Can you please give shoxlax his thread back? I think you made a mistake. Thanks.
                  Wasn't me, but I'll try and fix it.
                  ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Until we get a National Championship, then we'll have all we could have ever ask for.

Comment

This. And in addition, because of what Gregg has accomplished and how he's touted WSU in front of national television, you know we would have our choice from available candidates. Sexton would wake up with a line of the best available potential coaches in the nation begging for interviews. Gregg has permanently changed the way WSU basketball is played and viewed going forward, regardless of if he eventually leaves -- we can't ask for more than that, unless he retires here!

Comment

• Originally posted by LandStander View Post
                        Yep. Friday was my wife birthday and we drove down to caney kansas (30 minutes north of Bartlesville, ok) to see her family. I don't know why, but everyone down there in that area are OSU fans. Later on I was watching the Oregon/OSU game when my wife's nephew walked in, wearing an OSU Tshirt BTW, saw the game and replied "oh, I didn't know OSU was playing today. "
                        Yeah, I'm pretty sure Kansas should just go ahead and cede those few border counties in SE KS over to Oklahoma. The area has some weird vibes with regards to where their allegiances lie, and I'm not just talking about universities and their sports programs.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                          You're looking at results and not looking at insights. That's why your basketball program will never be as successful as you hope.

Look at Mark Gottfried. He was your coach, you ran him off, he's now @ N. C. State and in the Sweet 16. Why couldn't he do that @ 'Bama?

If you figure that one out, you'll start solving your school's problem.

Simply put, gottfried's failure and Grant's failure are not totally fbased on their ability. No, I think there's a bigger reason.

Until you fix that one, all the money in the world won't help you, and pity the poor coach dumb enough to think he can turn your coaching graveyard into some sort of Nirvana.

Mark Gottfried was fired because he was having too much fun with the coeds and allowing the wrong people to know about it.

He, also, got lazy. Those 2 things are facts. He would still be here if not for those 2 things.

AG was fired for underperforming. Yeah, his record doesn't look too bad but when you look at the records that I posted above, you get the picture.

Here is the thing, there is no reason Alabama shouldn't be in the tournament 7 outta 10 years. We have the resources and facilities. Our arena needs to be overhauled, but that's an easy fix. There is plenty there to make this happen.

Comment

It doesn't get old for me because it is a sign of success. Unless you are at one of the handful of programs that no one ever leaves, having your coach talked about for jobs simply means that you are winning big. I hope that we deal with this every single year for the rest of my life. If that happens, I will be one happy fan.
                            The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

• I was just on 810 in KC talking on the air about Marshall's situation. The hosts were saying Goatlube and Mike Kennedy have been on the show saying if Texas comes calling for Gregg he is 100% gone. I have a call into MK, because I don't think Mike would say that. 810 believes if IU, Texas or Bama offers Marshall will take it because of the automatic jump in4/5* recruits he will be coaching. And because Gregg is an outstanding coach, he could win a NC because of how close he has come with the 2/3* kids he gets in Wichita. Plus the money that will be thrown his way. My point to them was I hope Gregg is the type of coach that would gain much more satisfaction of winning a NC with the FVV, Baker, Cotton, Early, Hall, etc...type of recruit at WSU, than the "sometimes" spoiled and I entitled 4/5* recruit he would get at IU, Texas or other P5 school. Their point was if MK and Goatlube said it...it must be gospel. NO WAY...IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X