The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
    Would a successful almost legendary coach really want to follow Coach K or Roy Williams? What is there to gain? High risk/ low reward from a non-financial standpoint.
    That certainly could be an issue, but personally, if I were to leave Wichita State (and I should clarify be saying that I would probably stay, but would highly understand Marshall leaving for those jobs) I would rather leave to follow a successful coach, even if it means following in the footsteps of a legend, than taking on a rebuilding job.

For all the failures who followed a legend, there are also successes. Dean Smith followed national champion and Hall of Fame coach Frank McGuire. Joe B. Hall won a national championship and entered into the College Basketball Hall of Fame following Rupp. The problem is that many times those programs hire someone from within the family who has too little experience (see Mike Davis at Indiana after Knight who was a first time head coach).
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Let's just pay the man 3 mill, and lock in his contract for 10 years. Would take a hefty buyout to get him, he wouldn't have to move, he could retire here and run for mayor.

Comment

• This pic is awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post

This pic is awesome.
          Will Kunckle looks like he just got dumped by the Homecoming Queen.

Comment

• Man I love me some Lynn Marshall.....maybe even more than Gregg....and I LOVE Gregg Marshall.

Comment

• Certainly looks like we will soon find out just how many hamburgers one man really can eat. Or... at least exactly what he likes on his burger.

That is all.
              Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Coach K is Duke. North Carolina has a much deeper tradition. HCGM could be the Coach K of WSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  Coach K is Duke. North Carolina has a much deeper tradition. HCGM could be the Coach K of WSU.
                  This. Those blue bloods were primarily built by one person (Coach K, Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, etc.).

Why can't people just think that maybe Marshall could/wants to do the same at WSU?
                  The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    Man I love me some Lynn Marshall.....maybe even more than Gregg....and I LOVE Gregg Marshall.
                    She bleeds yellow and black. Forever the cheerleader and vociferous supporter. Long live the Marshalls...in Wichita of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      Man I love me some Lynn Marshall.....maybe even more than Gregg....and I LOVE Gregg Marshall.
                      She really is the best. Their whole family is.
                      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by ISASO View Post
                        I
                        My takeaway is that maybe Gregg doesn't really care about landing that job that gives him access to 5-star recruits he can't keep for a while and develop into stars that play within a system that revolves around excellence in all phases, especially chemistry and unselfishness. Some KU alums are tiring of chasing the over-hyped, under-achieving freshman who lead to early exists in the NCAA Tournament.
                        Yeah, but if KU doesn't go after the highly touted recruits how are they ever going to get those preseason number one rankings?
                        I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
                        If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by LandStander View Post
                          Yeah, but if KU doesn't go after the highly touted recruits how are they ever going to get those preseason number one rankings?
                          Those are the rankings that matter, right?
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Gary Parrish released another podcast a hour ago. Talked about Coach again. Said that Coach was lucky landing Fred and Ron

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTop View Post
                              Gary Parrish released another podcast a hour ago. Talked about Coach again. Said that Coach was lucky landing Fred and Ron
                              well, sure, Gary...and coach K was lucky to land Laettner, and coach Smith was lucky to land Jordan, and Coach Knight was lucky to land Thomas, etc. Point is, they're good coaches who convinced those players that they could grow and develop under their systems. I see Marshall in the same light.

Comment

• I am a bit concerned about our next point guard. Fred has set a really high bar, but I don't see the heir apparent on this team. Hopefully Tyrone Taylor has the goods.

Comment

Working...
                                X