The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
    I've heard rumors on the Twitter machine (I know, very reliable source) that Huggins also wants the OSU job. If that's true, why didn't OSU pursue him? And will they now? This has been fun to watch and I can't wait to see what happens next.
    I can't imagine Huggy Bear wanting that job. WVa is a perfect fit.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Big Game Bob is looking for work.
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• This is so much more fun watching from the outside knowing you're coach isn't going to leave because the program we have is above all the fore mentioned.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
          WTF is tOSU doing going public with this before they have a deal done? If Wookie renegotiates with the JayTurds and doesn't take the tOSU job, tOSU is screwed and I mean SCREWED! Who would take that job knowing that they were second fiddle to Wookie in the eyes of their prospective employer?
          Are we sure the "leak" came from tOSU? I can see McDermott using this to renegotiate. In that regard, if you were McDermott, would you see a renegotiated CU position as better than tOSU? I think I would stay at CU; lower expectations no football to battle for AD dollars, etc.

Comment

• If CU is willing to give McDermott a raise, he'd be dumb not to take it. Talk about having your employer confirm that mediocrity is not only acceptable, but rewardable.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
              Are we sure the "leak" came from tOSU? I can see McDermott using this to renegotiate. In that regard, if you were McDermott, would you see a renegotiated CU position as better than tOSU? I think I would stay at CU; lower expectations no football to battle for AD dollars, etc.
              Yes. In fact, tOSU plane came to Omaha with ADGS(Gene Smith). The ESPN announcement came from Columbus prior to, or during the flight to Omaha. During the timeframe of the leak, McDermott was working with players.

As far as what was offered by tOSU, or countered by Creighton, that will always be pure speculation, as Creighton doesn't release salary information. Thad Matta made over $3mm, but my guess is tOSU probably offered just over $2mm. Total wildass guess, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                If CU is willing to give McDermott a raise, he'd be dumb not to take it. Talk about having your employer confirm that mediocrity is not only acceptable, but rewardable.
                90% of all programs and coaches fit that bill. While I would like a better coach at Creighton, many times I've come to realize that it is often prudent to be careful of what you wish for. It also doesn't help that June isn't a real good time to look fora new coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                  90% of all programs and coaches fit that bill. While I would like a better coach at Creighton, many times I've come to realize that it is often prudent to be careful of what you wish for. It also doesn't help that June isn't a real good time to look fora new coach.
                  I don't think Creighton should be running McDermott out of town. But I think I would have called his bluff on salary negotiations.

Comment

• Agreed. IMO he really needs a second weekend tourney run to prove his value.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                      I don't think Creighton should be running McDermott out of town. But I think I would have called his bluff on salary negotiations.
                      We don't have any idea whether or not he got a raise. Again, any salary he makes is not released. The last fivure, from 2014, was around $1.17mm. That was an educated guess from three years ago. As McDermott turned down tOSU job, we don't know if the Buckeyes lowballed him. We just don't know.

My guess, still a wildass guess, is McD probably was in the $1.5mm range, tOSU went somewhere in the neighborhood of $2.25mm. If those numbers are close, Creighton bumping to a little under $2mm should ne enough to both keep McDermott and at the same time, not roll over.

One of the reasons Matta is leaving is that recruiting dropped off. Their cupboard isn't completely bare, but they aren't good. On the flipside, McDermott has a really good class coming in, plus experienced depth. You add that to the facilities Creighton now has in place, plus he grew up in Iowa and has family here, I don't think Creighton needed to roll over.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                        Big Game Bob is looking for work.
                        Big Game Bob: Robert Horry?

On a more serious note, McD deserves some credit for not making the same mistake twice. It's possible to be mediocre at the next level up from Creighton but a big success there; his predecessor Altman did it, and his second time around the power conference block has done very well after his move up to Oregon.

But far more guys try and fail than succeed, and Doug's dad has a pretty good thing going for himself, with no football to overshadow him and fewer crazed expectations -- at Creighton, it's just drunken clowns who want to make the second weekend; at tOSU you have overheated big money boosters who want national championships. So I believe he was wise to stay where he is, and it will be interesting indeed to see who doesn't mind being second choice behind McDermott.
                        Last edited by WSUwatcher; June 8, 2017, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                          One eye opening thing about this process... Mcdermott was only making 1.1 mil. Yessh, unlike WSU which became a Power 5 like School in a Mid major conference, Creighton is still just a Mid major school in a P5 like conference.
                          Are you saying the WSU is "Power 5 like" because we pay our coach similarly? What is the basis behind thiking WSU is Power 5 like? Or that Creighton isn't?
                          I'm confused.

Comment

• Originally posted by mini-shock View Post
                            Are you saying the WSU is "Power 5 like" because we pay our coach similarly? What is the basis behind thiking WSU is Power 5 like? Or that Creighton isn't?
                            I'm confused.
                            You are confused about a lot of things. .. that's ok.

Comment

• WSU is Power 6 and a premiere college basketball program. Get it right.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
                                WSU is Power 6 and a premiere college basketball program. Get it right.
                                Keep that up and you'll get run right off of SN!

Comment

Working...
                                X