The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
    If you want to view football as the ticket to the top conferences, you are correct. But I don't view football as what defines WSU and if the AAC is the 3rd or 4th rated conference, I'll take it as a sign of the Shockers arrival on the national scene and validation as one of the power basketball teams and ability to play with the big boys.
    WSU is already those things regardless of league affiliation.

Comment

• $3 mil a year? Where does this put him on the list of highest paid coaches?

Comment

• I'm thinking this has to be a contract worth up to $3 million based on performance incentives.

Comment

• Butler is still a mid-major trying to transition to high-major.

Them, Creighton and Xavier are in the same boat.
          Why walk somebody in baseball when you can hit them?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shoxcity View Post
            Butler is still a mid-major trying to transition to high-major.

like us

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
              like us
              Sarcasm much?

No way.
              Why walk somebody in baseball when you can hit them?

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                Your trolling is becoming really obvious, and tired.

There are any number of metrics reflective of WSU that are commensurate to - at the minimum - the 50th percentile of P5 MBB programs. Coaching salary, MBB budget, MBB revenues, weeks historically spent in polls, butts in seats, post-season performance, advanced metrics such as kenpom/sagarin/haslametrics, MTE invites, and so on and so forth.

Perhaps you should discover a little about WSU, if you are legitimately a fan.
                Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                Like you mentioned yourself. .. you are confused.
                Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shoxcity View Post
                  Butler is still a mid-major trying to transition to high-major.

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  like us
                  Originally posted by Shoxcity View Post
                  Sarcasm much?

No way.
                  Sometimes I just don't know when one is being serious or not. At my age, my meter just doesn't always register properly.

There is nothing mid-major about Butler or Xavier. They are major programs in a non-P5 conference, but only because their conference does not have football. Much of Creighton's recent success has revolved around one player and they lack mightily in post season success as well. Not so with WSU and that puts us well ahead of them. Creighton is no Butler or Xavier either...by a long shot.

Post season success:

WSU: NCAAs 7 of last 12 years (barren 17 years prior to that). 3 S16s and a F4.

Butler: NCAAs 9 of last 11 years and 14 of 21. 5 S16s and 2 Finals.

Xavier: NCAAs 16 of last 21 years. 7 S16s and 3 E8s.

CU : NCAAs 8 of last 21 years. 5 Round of 32.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kochaddict View Post
                    I am going to throw this out for discussion. If , suddenly today, HCGM was not the Wichita State Men's basketball coach for whatever reason, and I am not trying to sow bad seeds, who would we want as his replacement?
                    Tough one. Tough because know we have a top 10 coach, who wasn't one when he was hired. WSU found the right guys in both Turgy and Marshall. But do we now want proven NCAA greats?

If so, then I will take Sean or Archie Miller, Mike Brey, Frank Martin, Ed Cooley.
                    From the pro's, I would go Becky Hammon, Patrick Ewing, Shaq, Tony Parker
                    But, let's not be confused our next HC will be HCFVV.

Comment

• Originally posted by mini-shock View Post
                      Tough one. Tough because know we have a top 10 coach, who wasn't one when he was hired. WSU found the right guys in both Turgy and Marshall. But do we now want proven NCAA greats?

If so, then I will take Sean or Archie Miller, Mike Brey, Frank Martin, Ed Cooley.
                      From the pro's, I would go Becky Hammon, Patrick Ewing, Shaq, Tony Parker
                      But, let's not be confused our next HC will be HCFVV.
                      Troll-tastic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                        It looks like we can safely say that the big east is a stepping-stone job for coaches.
                        Funny comment when Mack and Cooley declined an interview, and McD turned job down. Holtmann hasn't made big money long and was a great fit.
                        BTW, Creighton like Butler pays only $1.2M. At $3M per, Wichita could do better than Jans or Forbes; you're in elite coach territory with that dough.

Comment

• Originally posted by JayPak View Post
                          Funny comment when Mack and Cooley declined an interview, and McD turned job down. Holtmann hasn't made big money long and was a great fit.
                          BTW, Creighton like Butler pays only $1.2M. At $3M per, Wichita could do better than Jans or Forbes; you're in elite coach territory with that dough.
                          No way his replacement gets 3 mil, if that's what you are saying.

Comment

No way his replacement gets 3 mil, if that's what you are saying.
                            True. But it's likely his replacement gets close to $2mm, if not at or a bit more. The fact of the matter is schools don't pay one single dime more than they need.

Also, with regard to Ohio State, once you get past the trash talk, there is no shame in losing your coach to them. It could be debated that it is a dream job, and for many coaches in B1G land, it is. While they haven't won a natty since the 60's, they have a long history of NCAA appearances and deep runs. They play in a large but arguably shitty arena, have every amenity imaginable and have the second largest athletic budget in the NCAA. A remodel could make their arena large and awesome.
                            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                              True. But it's likely his replacement gets close to $2mm, if not at or a bit more. The fact of the matter is schools don't pay one single dime more than they need.
                              Maybe, but prolly not if it's somebody like Jans or Forbes.

Comment

Maybe, but prolly not if it's somebody like Jans or Forbes.
                                I haven't followed who Butler is pursuing, are they on the short list?
                                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X