No announcement yet.

The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They have started tracking flights ...

Yet like always, the forget that Wichita is a maintenance hub for Cessna and others ...

Comment

• I always approach any Gregg Marshall rumor with a grain of salt because he is linked to every job. But from some things I have heard, Arkansas is making a serious push.

Comment

• Arkansas makes no sense. He’s already stated he wasn’t going to leave for a middle of the road power 5 conference job. VT makes a little more sense because it’s close to his roots and they have a little of the small brother syndrome with Virgina and I think that would appeal to him. He already turned down Alabama. Not sure how that’s any different than Arkansas.

Comment

• Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
          I always approach any Gregg Marshall rumor with a grain of salt because he is linked to every job. But from some things I have heard, Arkansas is making a serious push.
          I mean ... doesn't every school make a serious push? It's not how hard they push, it's whether Gregg wants it.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post
            I think one of the main reasons Marshall wants to stay is because he can mold this team. If he were to go to a blue-blood, and then bench a 5* who has potential of being a lottery pick? Then the fans would hate it, and the 5* are focused more on their personal goals, which is reaching the NBA, not playing as a team. That would piss Marshall off.
            I say Marshall should pick recruits as he always has done but turn the talent level up a full “star”. I’ll take hungry 3/4 star guys who want to be coached and who will stay in the program awhile.
            Being in the American does require much better talent as we’ve seen to win a championship.
            I have no doubt Marshall is the best coach in this league and can contend for a Natty title but he needs players who feed off of his style combined with their raw talent.

Comment

I always approach any Gregg Marshall rumor with a grain of salt because he is linked to every job. But from some things I have heard, Arkansas is making a serious push.
              So did Alabama and he laughed in their face at their $4.2 mil offer.

If you go to any SEC school, outside of Kentucky, you're second fiddle to football. And at Arkansas, I'm not so sure you wouldn't be 3rd fiddle to football AND baseball.

Comment

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                No sure he laughed in their face. I believe he met with them and used it to get more $$$. That offer is the reason he makes $3.5M.

• XManCometh
                XManCometh commented
                Editing a comment
                He never had an intention of taking that job. It's a trash basketball school. He just conned Eric Sexton into giving him more money by just taking the meeting. Taking a meeting with no desire for the job whatsoever is laughing in their face.

• Originally posted by XManCometh View Post

So did Alabama and he laughed in their face at their $4.2 mil offer.

If you go to any SEC school, outside of Kentucky, you're second fiddle to football. And at Arkansas, I'm not so sure you wouldn't be 3rd fiddle to football AND baseball.
              Arkansas has a richer basketball history than Alabama. Walton Arena is also much nicer than Coleman Coliseum. I think Arkansas is a better gig than Virginia Tech or Bama for example.

Arkansas has a lot of love for college baseball but at their core they are basketball people. Football was 2-10 I think last year so they can't be banking on that.

Comment

• XManCometh
                XManCometh commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd be more concerned with him leaving for Virginia Tech than Arkansas. If you're a basketball coach who wants to move up, you do not leave for the SEC unless it's Kentucky or Florida. The people at Arkansas thinking they can steal Chris Beard just makes this whole thing with Marshall even more hilarious. They are not in the position to be getting coaches like Beard and Marshall. They haven't even made it to the Sweet Sixteen since 1996. I suppose Gregg would be cocky enough to think he could be the guy to bring them back to prominence. But if he can't do it, he's essentially gambling the career he's made so far.
                Last edited by XManCometh; April 4, 2019, 02:21 PM.

• Downtown Shocker Brown
                Downtown Shocker Brown commented
                Editing a comment
                You know Beard coached in Arkansas before Texas Tech, right? And that TT wont pay that much.

• I just read that they have awarded the construction contract on the Student Athlete Success Center, which will include renovation of offices for the basketball program. A $13.8 million project, all told.

Comment

• WstateU
                WstateU commented
                Editing a comment
                Hutton

• Arkansas at least seems to draw very well for basketball games. Unlike some other football schools.
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Jon Rothstein just reported on twitter that Dana Ford is in talks with Arkansas and things are really heating up. PALPABLE buzz.

Comment

• XManCometh
                  XManCometh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  big time of them to get Dana Ford involved!

• shockrah
                  shockrah commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I guess they like guys named "Dana".

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                Arkansas at least seems to draw very well for basketball games. Unlike some other football schools.

You guys can rationalize this all you want, but HCGM would be a moron to take the Arkansas job. There is a reason it's been a mild dumpster fire since 1996. All these schools set their sights so high thinking they call pull these great coaches. It happens every year. Like Oklahoma State thinking they could get Bill Self from Kansas. Why in the heck would Chris Beard leave Texas Tech for Arkansas? I mean seriously.

Ipredict Arkansas lands someone like Richard Pitino who could use the upgrade in pay and facilities, or another retread like Steve Alford.

The team WSU has right now has Elite 8 written all over them. Why would you leave 2-3 more years of that for Arkansas? A school that was dumb enough to hire Mike freaking Anderson. One of the most average coaches of all time. AND THEY THOUGHT IT WAS A GREAT HIRE.

If Arkansas is here today like some think, then Gregg is using them to get more cash from us. Just like he did with Alabama. And honestly, after the season we ended up having and the coaching it took to get us there, he probably deserves it.

However, despite what I just said, if HCGM is dumb enough to take that job, then we'd better get on the phone with Chris Jans immediately.

Comment

• ShockerPrez
                  ShockerPrez commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wasn't rationalizing Marshall going anywhere.

I've made so many posts illustrating that these schools talk a good game, but don't appeal to what Marshall likes. One of them being butts in the seats.

So, my point was really, in this case, the only thing they may have going for them is butts in the seats. Butt they are about 7 years too late. Or whenever Anderson was hired.

Marshall is here for the duration, IMO.

• I'd have to think the stink hasn't worn off Chris Jans after the "incident" at Bowling Green, because he'd be the absolute first person I'd call if I was in Arkansas' position.
                The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
                  I'd have to think the stink hasn't worn off Chris Jans after the "incident" at Bowling Green, because he'd be the absolute first person I'd call if I was in Arkansas' position.
                  Meh. His name was floated on their VIP boards and they scoffed at it. They're waiting on Chris Beard to say no (which they will admit is probably unrealistic), and are now mulling between Musselman and Marshall as their "fourth or fifth option". SEC school syndrome at its finest.
                  "Say it slowly and savor it..."
                  Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushockerdude View Post

Meh. His name was floated on their VIP boards and they scoffed at it. They're waiting on Chris Beard to say no (which they will admit is probably unrealistic), and are now mulling between Musselman and Marshall as their "fourth or fifth option". SEC school syndrome at its finest.
                    Chris Beard could probably have his pick of any school in the country right now. No way he goes to Arkansas.

Maybe Musselman, but I think he can hold out for a better program, too.

Marshall is probably just a step or two behind Chris Beard in pecking order at the moment, and will probably be on even playing ground after next season. Why go to a program like Arkansas when you could choose a much better spot in the future?
                    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walker View Post

Jon Rothstein just reported on twitter that Dana Ford is in talks with Arkansas and things are really heating up. PALPABLE buzz.
                      I are smart enough to realize this is sarcasm. But they could do far worse than him.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                        ShockTalk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Did you really write "I are smart enough"? It isn't "I is smart enough" either.

Just have a little fun LuskingforGuttin .
                    Working...
                    X