No announcement yet.

Coaches Show 1-5-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a little depressing to me because I've met several ISU fans that are GREAT fans. Not good, GREAT fans.

The 2 programs really should have a lot in common (and do frankly). It's a little sad it's deteriorated to where it is now.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      It's a little depressing to me because I've met several ISU fans that are GREAT fans. Not good, GREAT fans.

The 2 programs really should have a lot in common (and do frankly). It's a little sad it's deteriorated to where it is now.
      Extremely sad. I still remember 3,000 yellow-clad Redbird fans in St. Louis a few years ago. I'm shocked it went from that to this in so short a time.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I remember back in 2010 when we beat Illinois State to make the finals for the first time, my mom and I were eating dinner at Union Station and an older couple from Illinois State stopped to congratulate us for the win and wished us luck for the final. I got up, shook their hands, and told them that they had a great team and that the matchup with their team worried me more than matching up with Northern Iowa did.

That theory stood for about 28 minutes of gametime the next day... :(
        78-65

Comment

Originally posted by Heinro View Post
          I generally agree. Marshall has seemed increasingly churlish to critical questions. I mean, who didn't want to know why Rauno went from getting solid minutes to staying on the bench. The MVC teleconferences are almost funny because I think people are almost afraid to ask him questions. I personally only listen to the coaches show and such to get information and certainly not to hear the other half just worship him on the air.

On the other hand, he is paid to win, so oh well.
          I dunno. Perhaps he hears it as "why didn't you let Nurger play?"..........when it's actually more like, "Is he OK? Is he hurt? Is he sick?"

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            I dunno. Perhaps he hears it as "why didn't you let Nurger play?"..........when it's actually more like, "Is he OK? Is he hurt? Is he sick?"
            I sort of agree with this. Some probably just don't know how to word their questions in the best way, while other I think genuinely come at it from your first approach.

I think Gregg is more for defending his players then anything. When people ask "Why is Baker not shooting well?" Or "What's wrong with Fred?" I think 3Gs wants to go to battle for his guys; as he should.

I think if people came from it, in more basketball related terms, such as: "Why is our half court offense not as efficient as it has been in the past? Is it just a matter of the veterans gelling with all the new guys?" he would be more willing to answer.

At the end of the day, better to have people care too much then not at all. Also, if people want the shows to have better callers, maybe they should start calling in themselves.
            The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
              My impression was that the caller was asking just that, "is he okay". If so, it was poorly phrased and led to Gregg's sharp response. However, Gregg has been here 8 years now and we should all be used to his temperament and attitude which have been on display since the beginning. Besides, it gives other fan bases something to point at and ***** about besides just losing to him.
              Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Someone should call in next week and ask why he is so testy when answering questions.

Comment

Ah, that is a pretty lame excuse. He gets paid very well and part of his job is to deal with fans. To say that fans need to correctly word their questions so the response is more in line is crap. Perhaps it would be more appropriate to just answer the questions along those lines, recognizing that often the fans may not be asking the questions in the proper way.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamano View Post
                    Someone should call in next week and ask why he is so testy when answering questions.
                    Better yet, head over to Deano's and ask him in person.
                    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                    -John Wooden

Comment

My theory is last years perfection spoiled Gregg a little in terms of dealing with fans/media and thus he has reduced patience when needing to deal with it this year.

Comment

Guarantee you I'm calling in next week to ask him about the recent absence of the living sound meter. WTf, coach?

Comment

Originally posted by Heinro View Post
                          My theory is last years perfection spoiled Gregg a little in terms of dealing with fans/media and thus he has reduced patience when needing to deal with it this year.
                          I think SOME (as in not all, a few) of the fans are the ones spoiled by the perfection.

Even last year he had to deal with bad calls and questions.

Besides when the refs and weathermen are perfect...yada yada yada.

Comment

I have mixed feelings here...on the one hand, I have to think that dealing with fans/media HAS to be the things coaches miss least when they retire...on the other hand, very well compensated to coach/have the gig....realize there are bonehead callers. I have not heard many shows not immune to testy calls/responses.Even Saban with his success gets second guessed a lot.

Actually, is he OBLIGATED to have a show?

Comment

Here is my opinion on Gregg and his responses that can come across as snarky/short-fused what ever you want to call it. There are few professions in this world where after nearly every performance you get asked in front of a national audience to explain yourself. Not only explain yourself, but explain tiny details of your actions and your outcome. Imagine being an designer who makes a project for a client, you win their business, provide a successful design and the client is happy, but now you go sit in on a press conference explaining what you just did. You won the client for your firm, the client is happy, (equivalent of winning a game for a coach) and then you have reporters from all over the country and your hometown's paper asking you why you chose Trebuchet as a font instead of Klavika? Why didn't you make the corners rounded? Can you explain your process of preparing for this design? Why wasn't Jimmy the intern more involved with this project? Do you think Jeff the intern is now higher on your intern depth chart for work? Kevin the intern took 2 sick days this week, will it effect your work as you close out on this calendar year?

Personally, I can understand how Coach can get snippy at some of the **** he has to deal with. Maybe coach should start responding in GIF form, I could provide my assistance as I have a great collection of reaction gifs he could just tweet out to all the questions he deems asinine. I'd do that for him. Here are some examples I'd use:

ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfanmas View Post
                                I'm still not convinced that it was illegal, but then again it's a lot easier to make the call if you're on the floor, in the right position to see the contact. I have no desire to go back and watch it again because to me, whether it was illegal or not is a mute point. Of course, I admit that I have had a bit of a problem with illegal screens. The obvious ones are no problem, but the marginal ones sometimes get me. I'm doing a better job this season I think, but obviously with the disagreement we are having about this one, I must not be there yet.

I agree about Davis though, it's tough to make the call when you don't have the angle. And as far as Muller goes, Karma is a *****. Somebody will put him in his place one of these days. I used to enjoy Illinois St play, but since Muller became their coach, you can definitely tell that sportsmanship is declining in that program.
                                It looked like a good screen to me. If we were the ones doing the screening, we would have said I was a legitimate screen.

Comment

Working...
                                X