Coaches Show 1-5-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    I liked how Marshall called out the "housekeeper" fans. Said we have a lot of fans that like to keep track of who's playing and who's not playing and wonder why so and so isn't playing tonight. He said, how many different 5 men do we need to play to make everyone happy?
    I don't agree, Dan, even though I think he's correct. I like that Marshall has an edge, but I'd like to see him pay less attention to local nitpicking. St. Roy Williams used to do that -- he paid attention to nitpicking from every quarter -- and he always struck me as thin-skinned as a result.

I'd rather have 3G taking offense at national or other media slights, or those from other teams and coaches, because those can be fuel to Play (or Coach) Angry. Housekeeper fans just cause him to Coach Cranky, and he really doesn't need to make everyone happy or worry about doing so. As long as he wins, his world is going to be pretty happy and friendly and filled with adulation, and when that's the case he should be able to ignore the inevitable few complainers.
    Last edited by WSUwatcher; January 6, 2015, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      I thought his remarks were petty.
      I generally agree. Marshall has seemed increasingly churlish to critical questions. I mean, who didn't want to know why Rauno went from getting solid minutes to staying on the bench. The MVC teleconferences are almost funny because I think people are almost afraid to ask him questions. I personally only listen to the coaches show and such to get information and certainly not to hear the other half just worship him on the air.

On the other hand, he is paid to win, so oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
        Coach said that ISUR player who decked Baker with the screen after the play ran over to the bench yelling "I got him, I got him"....
        If that's really the case, then he needs to be dealt with. Within the rules of course. Who was the ISUR player that came to check on Baker after the fact? I thought that was a classy move, but I wonder if it was sincere or just a cover-up

Comment

Originally posted by calfan View Post
          It would also help if the screen's defender would start calling the picks for Baker.
          He could have used some help.
          Exactly, this is a non issue if Bakers teammates step up and open their mouths and let him know the screen is coming. Granted, he might not have been able to avoid it, but I'm sure he could have braced a little so that the contact wasn't as bad as it appeared to be.

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfanmas View Post
            If that's really the case, then he needs to be dealt with. Within the rules of course. Who was the ISUR player that came to check on Baker after the fact? I thought that was a classy move, but I wonder if it was sincere or just a cover-up
            He was dealt with, within the rules. His team lost. Again. Even got a little shame time on the ESPN Top 10. Twice.

Comment

Exactly, this is a non issue if Bakers teammates step up and open their mouths and let him know the screen is coming. Granted, he might not have been able to avoid it, but I'm sure he could have braced a little so that the contact wasn't as bad as it appeared to be.
              His teammates aren't perfect. Show me a ref who calls a perfect game and I'll expect a player to play a perfect game.

Did I get that right? The logic is baffling to me, so I may have messed it up.

Comment

If you all want to follow a program with an "ah shucks" coach, go follow the Cornhuskers, Tim Miles might be more your style.
                "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by Heinro View Post
                  I generally agree. Marshall has seemed increasingly churlish to critical questions. I mean, who didn't want to know why Rauno went from getting solid minutes to staying on the bench. The MVC teleconferences are almost funny because I think people are almost afraid to ask him questions. I personally only listen to the coaches show and such to get information and certainly not to hear the other half just worship him on the air.

On the other hand, he is paid to win, so oh well.
                  But someone with his paycheck should have thicker skin. How much does he make specifically for doing a coach's show?

The fans want to feel involved with the program. Having Marshall get pissy when folks ask about specific situations with players makes him seem stand-offish. The people want to understand - it's harmless. Don't demean or insult callers, no matter how stupid or drunk they seem.

Marshall still hasn't figured out how to feed the monster in this regard. Stephenson was good at it for most of his career.
                  Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by ShockRef View Post
                    Muller is obviously playing the role of douche bag to the optimum and unfortunately, soiling the reputation of ISU.

I've met many ISU fans over the years, both in STL & Normal and had nothing but good experiences. Enter one Danny Dumbass into the forum and all hell breaks loose.
                    Why is ISU hierarchy tolerating this nonsense?
                    Unknown, but the promise of the 'W' and all that goes with them must be too strong to resist.

I venture to think they will find out the lure of winning, while sweet at the the start, will ultimately up with a very rotten stench when all is decided.

On another note, I have watched the infamous screen a couple of times now and it was definitely illegal.
                    My problem with Terry Davis was not originally making the call. You can only call what you see.
                    My problem is his positioning.
                    Instead of rotating onto the court to get a good angle to view between players, he hugged the sideline which restricted his view of the contact.

That is a no-no and he knows better.

That is all.
                    I'm still not convinced that it was illegal, but then again it's a lot easier to make the call if you're on the floor, in the right position to see the contact. I have no desire to go back and watch it again because to me, whether it was illegal or not is a mute point. Of course, I admit that I have had a bit of a problem with illegal screens. The obvious ones are no problem, but the marginal ones sometimes get me. I'm doing a better job this season I think, but obviously with the disagreement we are having about this one, I must not be there yet.

I agree about Davis though, it's tough to make the call when you don't have the angle. And as far as Muller goes, Karma is a *****. Somebody will put him in his place one of these days. I used to enjoy Illinois St play, but since Muller became their coach, you can definitely tell that sportsmanship is declining in that program.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                      I thought his remarks were petty.
                      I've never met the man personally, but I've heard that HCGM isn't always the most friendly guy around. On and off the court. However, I reserve judgement since I've never had first hand experience with him either way.

Comment

I liked how Marshall called out the "housekeeper" fans. Said we have a lot of fans that like to keep track of who's playing and who's not playing and wonder why so and so isn't playing tonight. He said, how many different 5 men do we need to play to make everyone happy?
                        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                          His teammates aren't perfect. Show me a ref who calls a perfect game and I'll expect a player to play a perfect game.

Did I get that right? The logic is baffling to me, so I may have messed it up.
                          Yes and no, depends on what side you're coming from. From a non-ref side, you have it right. From an officials standpoint, it's the other way around. As soon as a team makes all their shots, plays perfect defense, never turns the ball over, etc, then as an official we will make sure to get every call right. But we both know that both of those things are impossible and will never happen, yet as fans we continue to criticize officials, players, and coaches alike. It's part of the game.

And I realize his teammates aren't perfect, but you can bet if Baker would have been seriously injured off that screen that apparently his teammates didn't let him know about, HCGM would not have been happy, at all. Honestly, I was surprised at how calm he seemed to be after the screen anyways. Didn't seem to be mad at his players or the officials.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                            He was dealt with, within the rules. His team lost. Again. Even got a little shame time on the ESPN Top 10. Twice.
                            True, getting your revenge on the court by winning is nice, but I was referring to maybe the next time they play, he needs to get knocked on his backside by a good, hard, legal screen and see how he likes it.

Comment

Coach once said he is a lurker on social media. He reads everything good and bad about his program and takes things personally. I wouldn't be shocked if some idiot stops him at a restaurant and asks about Shaq's playing time. If your program has a coach that calls out reporters for stupid questions and "calls it like he sees it" then you should expect this.
                              On twitter as @WuShocks

Comment

Yes and no, depends on what side you're coming from. From a non-ref side, you have it right. From an officials standpoint, it's the other way around. As soon as a team makes all their shots, plays perfect defense, never turns the ball over, etc, then as an official we will make sure to get every call right. But we both know that both of those things are impossible and will never happen, yet as fans we continue to criticize officials, players, and coaches alike. It's part of the game.

And I realize his teammates aren't perfect, but you can bet if Baker would have been seriously injured off that screen that apparently his teammates didn't let him know about, HCGM would not have been happy, at all. Honestly, I was surprised at how calm he seemed to be after the screen anyways. Didn't seem to be mad at his players or the officials.
                                Right. Just making sure you were aware you are at least as biased as any of the fans complaining about officiating.

Comment

Working...
                                X