Wichita State media love thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Goober (in his so-called hey-day) would be in a battle with John Robert Simon for PT at Wichita State and J.R. probably wins that fight.
    I dislike Gotlieb too, but he currently sits at #10 all time in NCAA assists. I think his jump shot is fair game for mockery, but as an overall player, there is no question that he was pretty solid.

There is just too much to accurately pummel this guy with for us to be picking on one of the few things he actually does/did well. Stick to the other 99% of criticisms that are valid.

Comment

• Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
      @tsnmike: We know Wichita State has made history. Might the Kansas Jayhawks do it, as well? http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...-jayhawks-self
      That story also links to a great story on Barry Hinson. Shame we have to beat him 2-3 times a year :(

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
        Man, if I wasn't a Shocker homer I'd be so sick of our coverage on ESPN right now. There is no way we are the most disrespected team. We are getting plenty of love. We just aren't getting 100% love. Which I'm fine with by the way. I love that our coach players and fans all have chips on our respective shoulders.

But look at http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...espnapi_public -- Ron Baker popping his jersey is the photo of the week.

Also read the article -- it has some media love in it. It also has some cold hard truth in it -- this year is a bad year for teams outside the top 10 conferences. From Conferences 11-32 I believe WSU is probably the only lock at large team. That's pretty wacky.
        Dream scenario: B12 and One other BCS conference are all sitting at home after the first weekend... Blow up the metrics..
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
          I dislike Gotlieb too, but he currently sits at #10 all time in NCAA assists. I think his jump shot is fair game for mockery, but as an overall player, there is no question that he was pretty solid.

There is just too much to accurately pummel this guy with for us to be picking on one of the few things he actually does/did well. Stick to the other 99% of criticisms that are valid.
          Question is how much farther would OSU have gone with FVV versus DG.. Assuming FVV was an adult and not a toddler.
          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Joco, that is a line of thinking I can strongly support. In fact, I mentioned in another thread the other day, wouldn't it be interesting if FVV passes Gotlieb on the all time assists list sometime 2 years from now?!?!

Comment

Joco, that is a line of thinking I can strongly support. In fact, I mentioned in another thread the other day, wouldn't it be interesting if FVV passes Gotlieb on the all time assists list sometime 2 years from now?!?!
              That will require FVV exceeding 300 assists each year to get there. Not impossible, but still an increase in production.
              You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• DG had 355 assists through 2 years and then turned it on for almost 300 each of his Junior and Senior years.
                FVV has 253 and his Sophomore year still has as many as 9 games left.

Yes, catching Gottlieb is not likely, but it sure would be funny if it happened.

Comment

• Even if FVV falls a little short on the all-time assist ledger to DG, keep in mind DG in running the offense had only 4 options to realistically score. Many potential FVV assists are eaten up because, unlike DG, FVV is a scoring option for the Shockers.

Comment

DG had 355 assists through 2 years and then turned it on for almost 300 each of his Junior and Senior years.

Yes, catching Gottlieb is not likely, but it sure would be funny if it happened.
                    I'm more interested in the complete player rather than just a comparison of DG's one strong suite. FVV has a significantly better scoring average, assist to turnover ratio, FG%, 3PtFG%, FT% and opponents actually have to guard FVV. FVV is a better rebounder than DG. Not sure what kind of defender DG was so we'll call that even. Bottom line FVV is in elite point guard. DG was pretty much a one-trick pony and hurt his team in a number of ways especially allowing teams to ignore him on the offensive end and not being able to hit free throws. Yes, a good assist man. Not enough to elevate him to elite status IMHO. As DG would say -- "not even close".

Comment

DG had 355 assists through 2 years and then turned it on for almost 300 each of his Junior and Senior years.

It would be great, but I'd wager that Gottlieb got so many assists because he was such terrible shot. I don't think that Fred gets there just because we want him shoot rather than pass at least some of the time. Also Fred controls the pace of every game we play, which gives us a slower more cerebral type of game with fewer possesions and opportunities for assists..

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                        Even if FVV falls a little short on the all-time assist ledger to DG, keep in mind DG in running the offense had only 4 options to realistically score. Many potential FVV assists are eaten up because, unlike DG, FVV is a scoring option for the Shockers.
                        Bingo.

Comment

• I always think of him as a poor mans jake Odum.

Comment

• Another issue with FVV catching Gottlieb is the person who catches the pass from FVV will pass up a good shot and pass the next player that has even a better shot.

Comment

• If Gottlieb is consistent and everything is purely about "who have you played; who have you beat; who have you lost to" then why is the scoring margin even relevant?

Comment

• Wiggins double dip...

"Valley-shaking, nation-waking 29-game win streak." - Paul Suellentrop, The Wichita Eagle

Comment

Working...
                                X