No announcement yet.

Poll Watch (2013-14 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davis had reasoning for his glass ceiling. Bad reasoning, certainly, but reasoning. That alone makes him better than 99% of the tools out there in the media (Gary Parrish is the same way; he absolutely loves us, but he remembers getting snakebit by Gonzaga last year so he's gunshy. It's regretable, but understandable.) He also dropped a ton of hints that he wouldn't hold to his pledge if we kept winning.

I think it also helps that we, as a fanbase, didn't really crawl up his a** about it, unlike what his "trolls in Omaha," do regarding Creighton.

Comment

• I really am not getting much work done until these numbers hit.

Comment

• Davis didn't tweet spots, but said Nova still 2 spots ahead of CU.... Lololol

Comment

• Syracuse 1, Florida 2, Wichita State 3, Zona 4, Duke 5, SDSU 6

Comment

• St.Louis up to #10.
            Shox-4-Life

Comment

• Creighton at 11, getting in the top 10 is tough :)

Comment

• Is this the first time ever having 3 non-bcs schools in the top 10?

Comment

• Too bad we couldn't get St. Louis on our schedule, it would've been nice to be able to play someboady this year (insert sarcasm face hear)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    Those kids only have a to stay eligible for 1 semester. They don't even have to go to class 2nd semester if they know they're going pro. It's aterrible way to run your program. If Kentucky flops out again this year, I'm not sure how long the alums will put up with this type of recruiting. Some of the other top coaches have figure out you can do better by not recruiting the "one and dones".
                    Technically, I don't think you really have to go to class at all. I seem to remember Mike Kennedy talk about on radio within the last couple years that if you are eligible at the beginning of the school year, you are eligible for the whole year. There is no more being ineligible at semester anymore. That said, I think there are difference in ways that APR hits you when you have one-and-dones/transfers/etc. If a player leaves a program academically eligible, the APR hit isn't as drastic as when a guy leaves not eligible. Considering that you can lose NCAA berths by messing with that crap too much, I'm sure coaches won't go down that road if they can avoid it.

The other down side of playing with that kind of fire, from the player perspective, is if you decide to not go to class and coast for the year and then suffer a massive injury (think Kevin Ware kind of injury), not only is your draft status screwed, but then you have set yourself up to be academically ineligible for the foreseeable future, which will not allow you to showcase your talents to get back into draft consideration once recovered from injury.
                    Last edited by WuShock16; February 17, 2014, 11:45 AM.
                    78-65

Comment

• I know some on here said that Florida would jump over us to #2 and they didn't have a problem with that. I'm guessing that those voters that put Florida #2 in the poll did so because they beat Kentucky at Kentucky and are going by the name on the jersey in that instance. What has Kentucky done this year that makes whoever beats them at home automatically become #2 in the ranking?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                        I know some on here said that Florida would jump over us to #2 and they didn't have a problem with that. I'm guessing that those voters that put Florida #2 in the poll did so because they beat Kentucky at Kentucky and are going by the name on the jersey in that instance. What has Kentucky done this year that makes whoever beats them at home automatically become #2 in the ranking?
                        In that case, what has St. Louis done to make our win over them so impressive? Who have they beat? I for one am perfectly happy with the #3 ranking in both polls.

Comment

• Florida just barely jumped us in the Coaches Poll, 752 vs. 747 votes.

Comment

• Creighton Basketball: 97 years, 0 weeks with a single-digit rank. Ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by wushock27 View Post
                              Syracuse 1, Florida 2, Wichita State 3, Zona 4, Duke 5, SDSU 6
                              I'm miffed (a touch of sarcasm here) how Zona has lost 2 games to teams NOT...I repeat NOT in the Top-25 and remains in the Top-5 in America. Weird how names on jerseys get so many benefits.
                              FINAL FOURS:
                              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                              Number of Times Ranked: 157
                              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                              #3 - Dec. 2017
                              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                              #2 ~ March 2014
                              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Villanova at #9 is one point ahead of #10 St. Louis, 29 ahead of Creighton (tied 11th). So it's close in those spots.

Still, just curious: even taking into consideration that some teams don't match up well with others, how can anyone vote Villanova ahead of Creighton? Is there a big representation in the poll from either the northeast, the Philly area, or the old Big East constituency? That's just goofy.

No doubt the calm, gracious, open-minded, and well-behaved Creighton fans are taking this in stride, but it's still goofy. Why doesn't the "San Diego State ahead of KU" principle apply here?
                                Last edited by WSUwatcher; February 17, 2014, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X