Poll Watch (2013-14 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
    Without knowing our ranking and record, if I were to have read that Doug Gottleib article I would think that Wichita State is awful and can't throw the ball in the bucket for nothing.

Ughhh.

He is right, just doesn't point out the positives enough imo.

Try working on your reading skills. From the article:

"Ron Baker and new point guard Fred VanVleet can both shoot the ball from three. Baker -- who can score as a two-guard and is big and strong around the basket -- has a chance to be the best player in the Missouri Valley this year."

"Tekele Cotton is a solid mid-range scorer and very good finisher at 6-2, and while he isnt a three-point shooter, he knows it and takes good shots."

"Also great in transition is forward Cleanthony Early. Early is a vital weapon as a face-up four man who has the green light thanks to deep range and the guts to take a shot whenever. Early also finishes well above the rim, including in transition, and can run as he smells points."

"Chadrack Lufile is the Shockers' best big man, can score a little at the block and is solid on his second-shot offense.
    "

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
      I thought he made it pretty clear during the broadcast of the St. Louis game that he didn't think we were a top 12 team (let alone top 10). But I would like to see his top 10. I am sure none of them would have any defeciencies at all.

It is also obvious that the St.Louis game is the only time he has seen the Shocks play this year.
      Winning that game probably ruined his already written story. It's his shtick, love it or leave it.

What I thought was unfair was his criticism of FVV's ability to penetrate and get buckets.

That just shows you right there, he knows little to nothing about FVV outside of our tournament run last year.
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
        He says "Wichita State -- which beat a good, experienced, defensive-minded Saint Louis team 70-65 on Sunday." then says "In truth, it may have been especially difficult to determine how good Wichita State is based upon the SLU game, as the officiating was in a time warp to last season and there was no emphasis on the new "freedom of movement" rules."

He seems to be basing all of his WSU worth on one game, in which he stated the team they played is defensive minded, and that the freedom of movement rule changes were negated by an officiating crew calling the game disregarding those rule changes, which favor the offense if they called it correctly. How does that make sense? The refs are calling the game in favor of a physical defensive-minded game, yet we are the subpar product because of that? It seems to me, that DESPITE the game not being called correctly, Wichita State still pulled out a win against a defensive team.

Also, Gottlieb's stuttering and missteps when speaking, made it come across like he just didn't do his research prior to the match up, getting certain facts wrong. Based on that, I'm wondering if Doug even knows that there have been 4, count them Four, 1, 2, 3, 4 teams to go into SLU and win a game on their homecourt in the last 4 seasons. It's not like we walked into a mausoleum that is easy to take wins from.

Did WSU play the best basketball of the year? No, they didn't. No one will say that. However, what I take away from the victory, that obviously Gottlieb sees as worrisome, I view as a win that we battled for. We had an off night, our Post couldn't score well early, Cle started slow, Fred had a tough outing, the bench didn't step up when we needed it, but despite that we won. This team, has been molded to be winners by Gregg Marshall. Gregg finds a way to win, and he recruits winners. Guys that don't worry about a stat line, but the final score. Man, will it be a treat to see this team finally mesh together and put out 40 minutes of cohesive, efficient, hard-nosed, play angry, Gregg Marshall basketball.
        All true, which is why nobody on this board needs to get their man panties in a wad, when someone with limited knowledge of our team makes the comments and observations they do. Frankly, that works to our advantage in the long run. Mis-information is a wonderful thing in March/April... If we were a marginal team it would be bad, but we are not a marginal team and even Doug knows that...
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• How do you think Oklahoma State fans feel about this critique?

Michael DeCourcy ‏@tsnmike 22m
          Three things we confirmed: Oklahoma State's interior isn’t title caliber http://dlvr.it/4R4W5Z

e
          dit: How do you think OSU, Duke, and Creighton fans feel...
          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• I think the Gottlieb piece deserved its own thread. I think the piece is more than fair. I disagree that Wessel isn't athletic, but he hasn't show much this year outside of the Tulsa game. Gottlieb also seemed to miss Lufile's great game.

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
              Yes, it's an opinion, but I give credence to a man's opinion who played high level D1 ball...
              I wouldn't say that Doug played high level D1 ball, OSU on the other hand...
              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
              -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                How do you think Oklahoma State fans feel about this critique?

Michael DeCourcy ‏@tsnmike 22m
                Three things we confirmed: Oklahoma State's interior isn’t title caliber http://dlvr.it/4R4W5Z
                I bet they feel like they have a loss.

Comment

• Start growing a thick skin, folks. This slight pales in comparison to the cheap shots and attacks we'll get as the season rolls along- rest assured that our SoS will become a talking point once conference play begins, a la Boise State in past seasons of college football.

It is one of the prices of greatness.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                    This slight pales in comparison to the cheap shots and attacks we'll get as the season rolls along- rest assured that our SoS will become a talking point once conference play begins, a la Boise State in past seasons of college football.
                    I really hope we get to that point. Can't wait for Marshall to call out the first idiot that opens his mouth about the schedule. I'm quite sure our arena is available to any doubters.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerEngr View Post
                      Which he bases entirely off one game...and considers offense to be he only thing that matters.
                      Not off just one WSU game, he had a college career full of knowing what offensive issues are.

From cnnsi.com, 2000 Eastern Regional scouting report:

Oklahoma State's Doug Gottlieb has a hard time putting the ball in the basket from anywhere on the floor, so the Cowboys' senior point guard gets it to those who can. Gottlieb shoots just 41.4 percent from the floor, 18.4 percent from 3-point range and 44.3 percent from the foul line. In late-game situations when most teams want the ball in their point guard's hands, Oklahoma State does all it can to keep the ball out of Gottlieb's hands because of his free throw woes.

So, yes, he probably very aware how important offense is. :tongue-new:

Comment

• This is nothing at least their talking about us. Rem a few years ago when Billy Packer and Jim Nance made fools out of themselves.
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                          He was actually throwing his hat in the ring for the KState job before they hired Bruce Webber..
                          would like to see a poll of statist that would prefer gottlieb over weber right now.

I'd bet it's over 50%
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
                            I thought he made it pretty clear during the broadcast of the St. Louis game that he didn't think we were a top 12 team (let alone top 10). But I would like to see his top 10. I am sure none of them would have any defeciencies at all.

It is also obvious that the St.Louis game is the only time he has seen the Shocks play this year.
                            Hey, give him a break, he's using the 'old' eye test...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I'm pretty much with @TheYeti: on this one. Mostly, I don't care about the rankings. What annoys me is when WSU is held to a different standard than other schools. Look, you want to put Villanova in the poll this week at 5 after their performance last week? You'll get little beef from me. They beat some really good teams, and none of them at home. I might say that's a bit high, and 10-15 might be more accurate, but I get putting them there. They deserve it.

But if you're going to give team #1 a pass (say Syracuse) who plays ZERO road games out of conference and isn't even impressive doing so, then I'm not going to apologize for or not defend our ranking, even if I think it might be inflated.

In other words, either everyone has to prove their mettle, or nobody does. No free rides for Duke while we have to beat the best to be even considered, especially when the team As and Duke (for instance) won't play us EVER on even grounds.

Now, is being in the top 10 fun? You bet! And I will enjoy it and the consuming of mass quantities.

Comment

• I wondered why my eye sight was getting so bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X