Poll Watch (2013-14 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breakdown of this week's AP votes.

Doug Haller brings up the caboose on the IQ train by ranking us 19th. Chuck McGill and Jason Franchuk show uncanny wisdom slotting us 6th. Everyone else is in between, with #8 being the most common slot (by 17 voters).

Also of note, all-around-solid-dude Tom Keegan has us at #8.

Comment

• I would be embarrassed if I were a Kansas, Kentucky or North Carolina fan seeing my team in the Top-25 poll with those 3 teams being the only 3 teams being ranked with 3 losses. Even the hardcore fans of those teams have got to pause for a moment and say thank God the name on our jerseys gives us not one, not two...but 3 mulligans. LOL
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Top 8 out of 351 is elite company, folks.

Enjoy it.

Go Shocks.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• @EyeOnCBB: RT @Gary:ParrishCBS Oklahoma State won a game Monday but might’ve lost a starter for the season. Story: http://cbsprt.co/1haTwJ9
          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Since yesterday morning, Realtime RPI has dropped WSU's Realtime RPI from .6507 to .6457 and the SOS rank from 94 to 105.

Projections for year now has us #15 with .6147 RPI and 141 rank SOS. Kansas with 10 losses and Colorado with 9!

Rank
            School
            W-L
            RPI
            SOS
            Rank
            SOS
            Conf.
            Conf.
            W-L
            Oklahoma St.
            30-1
            Big12
            18-0
            Villanova
            30-1
            Bige
            18-0
            Wisconsin
            27-4
            Big10
            14-4
            Syracuse
            31-0
            Acc
            18-0
            Ohio St.
            26-5
            Big10
            13-5
            Arizona
            28-3
            Pac12
            15-3
            Massachusetts
            27-3
            Atl10
            14-2
            Kansas
            21-10
            Big12
            11-7
            Louisville
            29-2
            Aac
            18-0
            Oregon
            24-6
            Pac12
            12-6

Michigan St.
            24-7
            Big10
            13-5
            Kentucky
            23-8
            Sec
            13-5
            Colorado
            22-9
            Pac12
            11-7
            Iowa St.
            23-7
            Big12
            11-7
            Wichita St.
            30-0
            Mvc
            18-0
            Memphis
            23-7
            Aac
            13-5
            Iowa
            22-9
            Big10
            11-7
            Gonzaga
            24-6
            Wcc
            15-3
            Saint Louis
            24-6
            Atl10
            12-4
            LSU
            21-9
            Sec
            11-7
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Statsheet.com has team rankings:

1. Arizona (13-0) 98.6 A+
              2. Syracuse (13-0) 97.3 A+
              3. Wisconsin (13-0) 95.9 A
              4. Ohio State (14-0) 95.4 A
              5. Iowa State (12-0) 94.1 A
              6. Oklahoma State (12-1) 94.0 A
              7. Villanova (12-1) 94.0 A
              8. Oregon (12-0) 93.9 A
              9. Wichita State (13-0) 93.9 A
              10. Michigan State (12-1) 93.9 A
              11. Baylor (11-1) 93.8 A
              12. Kansas (9-3) 93.8 A
              13. Massachusetts (11-1) 93.6 A
              14. Colorado (11-2) 92.8 A
              15. Harvard (11-1) 92.6 A
              16. Illinois (12-2) 92.5 A
              17. Florida (10-2) 92.5 A
              18. Kentucky (10-3) 92.4 A
              19. Duke (11-2) 92.2 A
              20. Missouri (11-1) 92.1 A
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:

Comment

• http://www.bbstate.com/

basketball state has WSU #5

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                  I would be embarrassed if I were a Kansas, Kentucky or North Carolina fan seeing my team in the Top-25 poll with those 3 teams being the only 3 teams being ranked with 3 losses. Even the hardcore fans of those teams have got to pause for a moment and say thank God the name on our jerseys gives us not one, not two...but 3 mulligans. LOL
                  You have got to be kidding me with this post. I do not like any of those three teams but they each have resumes good enough to warrant their respective rankings.

Kansas has beaten Duke, New Mexico and Georgetown. Their losses are all either neutral site or road losses and all their losses are to good teams.

Kentucky has beaten Louisville and their three losses are either neutral site games (Michigan State and Baylor) or a road game (North Carolina). I would say that they should be in the #20-#25 range.

North Carolina has been so up and down with wins over Michigan State, Kentucky and Louisville with losses to Belmont, UAB and Texas. I still think that resume is worthy of a Top 25 ranking.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks771 View Post
                    You have got to be kidding me with this post. I do not like any of those three teams but they each have resumes good enough to warrant their respective rankings.

Kansas has beaten Duke, New Mexico and Georgetown. Their losses are all either neutral site or road losses and all their losses are to good teams.

Kentucky has beaten Louisville and their three losses are either neutral site games (Michigan State and Baylor) or a road game (North Carolina). I would say that they should be in the #20-#25 range.

North Carolina has been so up and down with wins over Michigan State, Kentucky and Louisville with losses to Belmont, UAB and Texas. I still think that resume is worthy of a Top 25 ranking.
                    Kentucky = One "true" Road Game and LOST. But still THREE LOSES total.
                    Kansas = Two "true" Road Games and LOST them BOTH. But still THREE LOSES total.
                    North Carolina = Two "true" Road Games and LOST one and won one. But still THREE LOSES total.

I'm probably in the minority here....but if my team Wichita St. had THREE loses on a season thus far....I would be a tad embarrassed feeling like we were getting preferential treatment staying alive in the Top-25. I mean seriously....if the Shockers had 3 losses this early in a season they wouldn't even be close to sniffing the Top-25???

If the pollsters are going to rank three teams (regardless of names) with 3 losses thus far in the early season....put them at #23, #24 and #25.
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Kentucky = One "true" Road Game and LOST. But still THREE LOSES total.
                      Kansas = Two "true" Road Games and LOST them BOTH. But still THREE LOSES total.
                      North Carolina = Two "true" Road Games and LOST one and won one. But still THREE LOSES total.

I'm probably in the minority here....but if my team Wichita St. had THREE loses on a season thus far....I would be a tad embarrassed feeling like we were getting preferential treatment staying alive in the Top-25. I mean seriously....if the Shockers had 3 losses this early in a season they wouldn't even be close to sniffing the Top-25???

If the pollsters are going to rank three teams (regardless of names) with 3 losses thus far in the early season....put them at #23, #24 and #25.
                      er
                      I mean...who the heck are you going to replace them with in the top25...

Any team you replace Kansas with in the top25 (drop kansas out and put an unranked team in) would get their tail kicked by kansas 9 out of 10 times.

Kentucky has lost to three teams that could all win the national championship this year...If we played the same schedule Kentucky did I would say we could be undefeated or we could easily be a team with 3 or 4 losses.

Comment

• Originally posted by rialaigh View Post
                        er

Any team you replace Kansas with in the top25 (drop kansas out and put an unranked team in) would get their tail kicked by kansas 9 out of 10 times.

Kentucky has lost to three teams that could all win the national championship this year...If we played the same schedule Kentucky did I would say we could be undefeated or we could easily be a team with 3 or 4 losses.
                        The only issue I have with Kentucky being ranked is if WSU had played the same schedule as Kentucky and had the same three losses I doubt WSU would even be in the also receiving votes category, much less ranked 15th.

Comment

• Originally posted by rialaigh View Post
                          er

I would replace all 3 of those teams (KU, UK NC) with 3 teams that have better overall records. Simple as that. This is just how I see it. I put more weight on the actual win/loss record than schedule and "potential". BUT....having said that...I of course would "consider" who those 3 teams have lost too...and I must admit it would be hard to overlook that. So if I were a voter I would put those 3 teams with 3 losses at #23, #24 and #25 to make room for 3 other teams that have a better overall record. As a voter I would penalize teams that don't go on the road and who also lose games. As a voter...I simply would not give two-shits about names on jerseys. I'd rather judge and vote on results (ala win/loss record).
                          FINAL FOURS:
                          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
                          #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
                          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

I would replace all 3 of those teams (KU, UK NC) with 3 teams that have better overall records. Simple as that. This is just how I see it. I put more weight on the actual win/loss record than schedule and "potential". BUT....having said that...I of course would "consider" who those 3 teams have lost too...and I must admit it would be hard to overlook that. So if I were a voter I would put those 3 teams with 3 losses at #23, #24 and #25 to make room for 3 other teams that have a better overall record. As a voter I would penalize teams that don't go on the road and who also lose games. As a voter...I simply would not give two-shits about names on jerseys. I'd rather judge and vote on results (ala win/loss record).

The win loss record is such a poor way to gauge team strength. I would take a 10 loss kansas team this year over a 5 loss harvard team...There are going to be plenty of teams at the end of the year that have 10+ losses that are easily better then some teams with less than 6 losses

Comment

• It appears that we have a couple of bandwagon fans who may be looking at this issue their from blue and rose colored glasses. Welcome aboard the Shocker train (too). There is plenty of room. As to this issue, KU has tons of talent and potential. They will probably be very good but at this time they have not been playing to the level of their hype. I think that the suggestion stated earlier in this thread that KU should be ranked 23, 24, or 25 is more than reasonable and fair at this portion of the year. They have shown very little consistency to this point. There are other teams who have shown potential too and are just as deserving of a shot at a ranking. KU began the year with a high ranking due to the level of their program and recruiting class. They need to earn it at some point. They are a good team but haven't proven elite status at this time.

Comment

• Rankings, especially at the beginning of the year, are often about potential. The grind of actually playing the games and a dose of reality set in; eventually, the rankings become more accurate.

Comment

Working...
                                X