No announcement yet.

Poll Watch (2013-14 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only real benefit I see from the polls right now (well, except for name brand recognition, recruiting, ESPN attention, ESPN highlights and on and on) is to get a 2 or 3 seed in March. Polls have some influence over seeding.

The Shox need another S16 or better to maintain the national media love we're getting this year. It's easier to accomplish that with a 2 or 3 seed than with a 5 - 8 seed.

Get a 2 or 3 seed and get to S16 or E8 (or better) this year, and the Shox are in position to get more favorable treatment from the Selection Committee next year.

If I may offend almost everybody who posts here, the longer a mid-major at this level can maintain decent rankings in the polls (deserved or not), the better the chances of getting favorable NCAA seeds, which produces better results in March, which produces better poll results the next year.

I don't recall Butler getting a lot of love in the polls (I could be wrong I just never checked them), but they made 2 NC games. Gonzaga has had great poll rankings, but doesn't have notable runs in March. Those schools have set the table for acceptance of a non-power-conference team to get national respect. If the Shox can maintain some poll love and get some runs in March, then WSU can go beyond what Gonzaga, VCU, and Butler have done as mid-majors at this level.

We're never going to shake either "mid-major" or "at this level". That doesn't have to prevent us from getting another label - National Power. It can happen. If Marshall sticks around until his kids are out of HS, we've got a great chance to be considered a national power. If Marshall sticks aaround until he retires (I think this could happen), WSU has a great shot to be a top-20 team every year with the respect, recognition, nd recruiting that goes along with that.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      The only real benefit I see from the polls right now (well, except for name brand recognition, recruiting, ESPN attention, ESPN highlights and on and on) is to get a 2 or 3 seed in March. Polls have some influence over seeding.

The Shox need another S16 or better to maintain the national media love we're getting this year. It's easier to accomplish that with a 2 or 3 seed than with a 5 - 8 seed.

Get a 2 or 3 seed and get to S16 or E8 (or better) this year, and the Shox are in position to get more favorable treatment from the Selection Committee next year.

If I may offend almost everybody who posts here, the longer a mid-major at this level can maintain decent rankings in the polls (deserved or not), the better the chances of getting favorable NCAA seeds, which produces better results in March, which produces better poll results the next year.

I don't recall Butler getting a lot of love in the polls (I could be wrong I just never checked them), but they made 2 NC games. Gonzaga has had great poll rankings, but doesn't have notable runs in March. Those schools have set the table for acceptance of a non-power-conference team to get national respect. If the Shox can maintain some poll love and get some runs in March, then WSU can go beyond what Gonzaga, VCU, and Butler have done as mid-majors at this level.

We're never going to shake either "mid-major" or "at this level". That doesn't have to prevent us from getting another label - National Power. It can happen. If Marshall sticks around until his kids are out of HS, we've got a great chance to be considered a national power. If Marshall sticks aaround until he retires (I think this could happen), WSU has a great shot to be a top-20 team every year with the respect, recognition, nd recruiting that goes along with that.
      Good comments and I agree that a virtuous cycle can be generated between the polls, tournament seeding, and actual results - especially if the timing is right.

The only thing I would add is there is one additional result we need to take care of: actually win the MVC tournament. I'm sure nothing annoys the selection committee more than the obvious ranked power in a given conference crapping the bed and allowing some otherwise non-deserving team grab an unexpected automatic berth. Surely they take some wrath out on the ranked power team when that happens. We need to start turning that around this season. For as long as we've been more or less an MVC power, we've only won 2 conference tournaments and the last one we won was way back in 1987. That has to be corrected before we start thinking of ourselves as too good for the Valley.

Comment

• I have found a few ballots (not as many as I usually do): Dave Borge keeps WSU at 10, keeps Baylor at 18 and keeps Oregon at 9. Bret Strelow improves WSU one spot from 12 to 11 (he dropped Louisville from 10 to 20 to allow WSU to move up one spot). He keeps Baylor at 8 and keeps Oregon at 17: He also kept Villanova at 7: http://www.fayobserver.com/blogs/spo...a4bcf6878.html Rick Bozich improves WSU one spot from 11 last week to 10 this week. He also improves Baylor one spot from 8 to 7 and he keeps Oregon at 18. He dropped Louisville from 9 to 15: http://www.wdrb.com/story/24324476/b...ll-poll-ballot

Comment

• So far we have seen 4 ap ballots (fewer than in past weeks). But WSU has definitely done better on those 4 ballots than Bayor or Oregon. WSU improved 1 spot on 3 of the 4 ballots (and stayed the same on the other ballot). Baylor improved one spot on only 1 ballot (stayed the same on the other 3) and Oregon actually dropped one spot on 1 ballot (Seth Davis, dropped Ou from 18 last week to 19 this week) while staying the same on the other 3. Louisville and Villanova have both taken some big drops on some of these ballots. I know 4 ballots is a small sample (just 6% of the 65 total ballots). But so far it is good news for the Shocks. If the other 61 voters make similar moves to this group of 4, WSU has an excellent chance of being ranked either 8 or 9 in tomorrows AP poll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            The only real benefit I see from the polls right now (well, except for name brand recognition, recruiting, ESPN attention, ESPN highlights and on and on) is to get a 2 or 3 seed in March. Polls have some influence over seeding.

How about doing your part and use the term "non-BcS" rather than "mid-major."
            The biggest obstacle currently with HCGM staying at WSU is the Valley. ADES needs to start shopping WSU around to a better conference. The team(s), coaches, and fans are doing their part.

Comment

• Doug Haller screwed WSU this week dropping them from 17 last week to 19 this week. He also improved Baylor from 9 last week to 8 this week and improved Oregon from 10 to 9. He kept Nova at #6 on his ballot while he dropped Louisville from #5 to #16. http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/do...-25-ballot-25/

Comment

• Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                Doug Haller screwed WSU this week dropping them from 17 last week to 19 this week. He also improved Baylor from 9 last week to 8 this week and improved Oregon from 10 to 9. He kept Nova at #6 on his ballot while he dropped Louisville from #5 to #16. http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/do...-25-ballot-25/
                I think we just have problems with people named Doug.

Comment

• Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                  Doug Haller screwed WSU this week dropping them from 17 last week to 19 this week. He also improved Baylor from 9 last week to 8 this week and improved Oregon from 10 to 9. He kept Nova at #6 on his ballot while he dropped Louisville from #5 to #16. http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/do...-25-ballot-25/
                  My God that's embarrassing....I live in Arizona!!! wtf!!!
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by ciaomichael View Post
                    Good comments and I agree that a virtuous cycle can be generated between the polls, tournament seeding, and actual results - especially if the timing is right.

The only thing I would add is there is one additional result we need to take care of: actually win the MVC tournament. I'm sure nothing annoys the selection committee more than the obvious ranked power in a given conference crapping the bed and allowing some otherwise non-deserving team grab an unexpected automatic berth. Surely they take some wrath out on the ranked power team when that happens. We need to start turning that around this season. For as long as we've been more or less an MVC power, we've only won 2 conference tournaments and the last one we won was way back in 1987. That has to be corrected before we start thinking of ourselves as too good for the Valley.
                    Unfortunately, someone high up there may want to share the NCAA money by having two teams in the dance
                    Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

• Here's my Top-25:

1. Duke
                      2. Kansas
                      3. Kentucky
                      4. North Carolina
                      5. Ohio St.
                      6. Wisconsin
                      7. Michigan St.
                      8. Texas
                      9. Arizona
                      10. Notre Dame
                      11. UConn
                      12. Syracuse
                      13. Villanova
                      14. Louisiville
                      15. UCLA
                      16. Florida
                      17. Georgetown
                      18. Iowa St.
                      19. Oklahoma St.
                      20. Creighton
                      21. Memphis
                      22. UNLV
                      23. Oregon
                      24. Baylor
                      25. Illinois

Other Receiving Votes:
                      Michigan, U-Mass, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas St., Gonzaga, Pittsburg, Missouri, Temple, USC, Iowa, Emporia St., Marquette, San Diego St., Colorado.
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                        Here's my Top-25:

1. Duke
                        2. Kansas
                        3. Kentucky
                        4. North Carolina
                        5. Ohio St.
                        6. Wisconsin
                        7. Michigan St.
                        8. Texas
                        9. Arizona
                        10. Notre Dame
                        11. UConn
                        12. Syracuse
                        13. Villanova
                        14. Louisiville
                        15. UCLA
                        16. Florida
                        17. Georgetown
                        18. Iowa St.
                        19. Oklahoma St.
                        20. Creighton
                        21. Memphis
                        22. UNLV
                        23. Oregon
                        24. Baylor
                        25. Illinois

Other Receiving Votes:
                        Michigan, U-Mass, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas St., Gonzaga, Pittsburg, Missouri, Temple, USC, Iowa, Emporia St., Marquette, San Diego St., Colorado.
                        Not much of a Wichita State fan are ya? :D

Comment

• Your Top-25 of what (you clearly are not ranking NCAA Men's Basketball Teams)

Comment

Here's my Top-25:

1. Duke
                            2. Kansas
                            3. Kentucky
                            4. North Carolina
                            5. Ohio St.
                            6. Wisconsin
                            7. Michigan St.
                            8. Texas
                            9. Arizona
                            10. Notre Dame
                            11. UConn
                            12. Syracuse
                            13. Villanova
                            14. Louisiville
                            15. UCLA
                            16. Florida
                            17. Georgetown
                            18. Iowa St.
                            19. Oklahoma St.
                            20. Creighton
                            21. Memphis
                            22. UNLV
                            23. Oregon
                            24. Baylor
                            25. Illinois

Other Receiving Votes:
                            Duke #1- are you Dukie V? Did you just pull those names out of a hat?

Comment

Here's my Top-25:

1. Duke
                              2. Kansas
                              3. Kentucky
                              4. North Carolina
                              5. Ohio St.
                              6. Wisconsin
                              7. Michigan St.
                              8. Texas
                              9. Arizona
                              10. Notre Dame
                              11. UConn
                              12. Syracuse
                              13. Villanova
                              14. Louisiville
                              15. UCLA
                              16. Florida
                              17. Georgetown
                              18. Iowa St.
                              19. Oklahoma St.
                              20. Creighton
                              21. Memphis
                              22. UNLV
                              23. Oregon
                              24. Baylor
                              25. Illinois

Other Receiving Votes:
                              sarcasm?

Comment

• Petro's AP College Basketball Top 25 Ballot - Dec 29
                                Dec 29, 2013 -- 9:45pm

By Soren Petro

1. Arizona
                                2. Ohio St.
                                3. Syracuse
                                4. Michigan St.
                                5. Oklahoma St.
                                6. Wisconsin
                                7. Wichita St.
                                8. Duke
                                9. Oregon
                                10. Iowa St.