Poll Watch (2013-14 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
    But KU's schedule is harder. And they have a great history. You have to take that history into account when talking about how well a team is doing because going to a final 4 is consideration. Of only one lucky year
    Yes. When we reach the F4 four years in a row, we'll know we are good.

Comment

• Guys, guys, settle down. Sho' nuff being number one would be great, but number two ain't bad and we are still making the front page or being discussed in every sports periodical and TV program. WSU couldn't but this much publicity.

Most importantly, this ain't the BCS where rankings play an integral role on who plays for the national championship. The number preceding the name of the program is simply window dressing when it comes to college basketball. For programs like ours, it means more to us than the BCS programs since we are not as well known nationally, but whether number one, two, three, four or five, our name is out there for everyone to hear. And that is all good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
        The number of times we have been ranked #2 or higher in the AP Poll:

1982-83: 1 (Dec. 29)
        1964-65​: 4 (Dec. 8, 22, 29, #1 on Dec. 15)
        I'm sure you've just made an honest mistake, but it was the 1981-82 season, not 1982-83. The Shockers were #2 in the December 29, 1981 poll.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post
          I'm sure you've just made an honest mistake, but it was the 1981-82 season, not 1982-83. The Shockers were #2 in the December 29, 1981 poll.
          Yep, you're right, honest goof. Good catch and thanks.

Comment

• Isn't it just fun to be bitching or hear people bitching about if we are really the number #2 ranked (AP/Coach's polls) team or the number #1 ranked team in the nation?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
              Isn't it just fun to be bitching or hear people bitching about if we are really the number #2 ranked (AP/Coach's polls) team or the number #1 ranked team in the nation?

Kind of...but it annoys me a little to hear the uneducated bandwagon fans bitching about stuff they don't have a clue about...or on the flipside bitching that we're ranked too high. I find both equally annoying. But it's not taking away from the fun I'm having being this good again!

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                Guys, guys, settle down. Sho' nuff being number one would be great, but number two ain't bad and we are still making the front page or being discussed in every sports periodical and TV program. WSU couldn't but this much publicity.

Most importantly, this ain't the BCS where rankings play an integral role on who plays for the national championship. The number preceding the name of the program is simply window dressing when it comes to college basketball. For programs like ours, it means more to us than the BCS programs since we are not as well known nationally, but whether number one, two, three, four or five, our name is out there for everyone to hear. And that is all good.
                ???

Comment

• Was listening to the MOJO show on CBS sports radio on the way home from work tonight and a caller from Kentucky claimed to have just looked on the computer at our schedule and noticed that had not played a ranked team all season. I kept waiting for the host to correct the caller and instead the host jumped on that bandwagon and agreed. How can these people get away with this on a national radio show? I don't mind an educated fan arguing whether WSU is a 1 or 2 seed, but it just drives me nuts when stuff like that makes it on the air.

Comment

• Originally posted by eeshocker View Post
                    Was listening to the MOJO show on CBS sports radio on the way home from work tonight and a caller from Kentucky claimed to have just looked on the computer at our schedule and noticed that had not played a ranked team all season. I kept waiting for the host to correct the caller and instead the host jumped on that bandwagon and agreed. How can these people get away with this on a national radio show? I don't mind an educated fan arguing whether WSU is a 1 or 2 seed, but it just drives me nuts when stuff like that makes it on the air.
                    St. Louis wasn't ranked at the time we played them, so anyone that is just looking for a #1-25 next to a team isn't going to catch that. Honest but ignorant mistake.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                      St. Louis wasn't ranked at the time we played them, so anyone that is just looking for a #1-25 next to a team isn't going to catch that. Honest but ignorant mistake.
                      Said caller also believes Kentucky is well on their way to 40-0. After all, he walked into a store once and bought a shirt that had it written on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                        And ND was ranked win ISUb beat them, so they have a shiny win on their ESPN page...
                        The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                          And ND was ranked win ISUb beat them, so they have a shiny win on their ESPN page...
                          That's one of the only things that bugs me about ESPN's website.

Including a static ranking on the schedule page of a team is pointless and does the opposite of informing fans. The rankings should be dynamic given that week's rankings.

Where a team was ranked the first week of the season is irrelevant compared to where they are ranked today. One is based on expectations, one is based on actual performance.

*Edit: Okay, not the only thing. Their website often crashes and says a random page doesn't exist, but you can then copy and paste the same link it's saying doesn't exist and it'll work the second time. Ancient technology on their site.
                          Originally posted by BleacherReport
                          Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                            That's one of the only things that bugs me about ESPN's website.

Including a static ranking on the schedule page of a team is pointless and does the opposite of informing fans. The rankings should be dynamic given that week's rankings.

Where a team was ranked the first week of the season is irrelevant compared to where they are ranked today. One is based on expectations, one is based on actual performance.
                            Agreed. This just fuels the "WSU hasn't played anyone" crowd, when they pull up the Shox page and do not see a number next to SLU.
                            The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                              Well said. And to top it off, if the Shox go undefeated in the regular season, I will initiate a self imposed Shockernet ban for up to 1 year.
                              bump

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                                bump
                                My new signature.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X