No announcement yet.

Ron Baker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sure it will be pretty fluid until the calendar flips. Ford at ESPN has him as a mid-late first rounder (#25). There will be a lot of variance until January/February.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      From the article:

Is that good news or bad news? At #44, it might be worthwhile to play his Sr. year at WSU.
      Well, if he stays above #20, that dramatically increases the chance that he will stay.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
        Well, if he stays above #20, that dramatically increases the chance that he will stay.
        I really have no real insight into what Ron is thinking but I would expect that if he is drafted anywhere in the 1st Round he would sign. If he is picked in the 2nd Round then perhaps it's a push whether he goes or stays. If he isn't drafted I assume he stays assuming he would like to pursue or get started on a graduate degree that WSU offers.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          I really have no real insight into what Ron is thinking but I would expect that if he is drafted anywhere in the 1st Round he would sign. If he is picked in the 2nd Round then perhaps it's a push whether he goes or stays. If he isn't drafted I assume he stays assuming he would like to pursue or get started on a graduate degree that WSU offers.
          Keep in mind that Ron has to decide if he's going or staying before he gets drafted. There will be a lot of things for him to think about come April.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Unfortunately, basketball differs from baseball in that you must commit to either staying or going before the draft. Once you enter the draft, you are 100% gone whether you are chosen #1, chosen in the second round, or totally undrafted.

There are exceptions, but the cutoff between leaving early being smart vs. dumb is usually the 30th and 31st picks. The former offers a guaranteed contract; the latter offers you a leg up on D-League players during the summer hunger games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
              Unfortunately, basketball differs from baseball in that you must commit to either staying or going before the draft. Once you enter the draft, you are 100% gone whether you are chosen #1, chosen in the second round, or totally undrafted.

There are exceptions, but the cutoff between leaving early being smart vs. dumb is usually the 30th and 31st picks. The former offers a guaranteed contract; the latter offers you a leg up on D-League players during the summer hunger games.
              That's true but there will be a lot of indications as to where Ron is likely to go before the draft. Of course, that is not guarantee as Cle found out. Whether he would go ahead and leave as a likely 2nd rounder probably depends greatly on what his educational goals are. I think we all agree he will get a shot at playing basketball for money somewhere and if he has his degree he may just decide he would like to pursue that.

Comment

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• We have had the discussion about VanVleet as possibly the best PG in WSU history. What about Baker? Is he the best wing guard in Shocker history?

Others off the top of my head that could compete for that honor:

Toure Murry
                  Jason Perez
                  Maurice Evans (didn't graduate from WSU so probably a DQ)
                  Aubrey Sherrod
                  Cheese Johnson (more of a wing forward)
                  Warren Armstrong (wing forward?)
                  Jamie Thompson (wing forward?)

I'm guessing this is between Baker, Sherrod, and Armstrong (pending if you qualify him as such).
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• DQing Armstrong, it's gotta be between Sherrod, Perez and Baker in that order. Perez the only bright light (since Evans left) on some not great teams. Perhaps Perez got more run since there wasn't a lot of backup, but his numbers, 6th in career scoring and 1st in steals, speak for themselves.

All that said, I get the feeling Baker is going to blow some doors off this season.

Comment

• Using the positions in the Hyptothetical Play-off that Lutz did last year, here are the guards listed:
                      Points Reb Ass
                      SG – Greg Carney 20.1 4.2
                      SG – Bob Wilson 20
                      SG – Maurice Evans 17.1 4.6
                      SG – Joe Stevens 16.6 3.9
                      SG – Ron Mendell 15.3
                      SG – Aubrey Sherrod 15.1 2.7 3.3
                      SG – L.D. Swanson 14.6
                      SG – Kelly Pete 14.1 6.4
                      PG – Lanny Van Eman 14 3.1
                      PG – Jimmy Bolden 13.4
                      PG – Ernie Moore 13.2 3.1
                      PG – Randy Smithson 13
                      SG – Randy Burns 12.9 3.8 2.2
                      SG – Paul Guffrovich 12.2 5.9 3.2
                      PG – Paul Scheer 11.7
                      SG – Dwight Praylow 11.6
                      PG – Clevin Hannah 11.6 2.5 4.5
                      PG – Calvin Bruton 11.6 2.6
                      PG – Tony Martin 11.5
                      SG – Toure Murry 11.1 4.5 3.1
                      SG – Leonard Kelley 11.1
                      PG – Malcolm Armstead 10.7 3.8 4
                      PG – Robert George 10.6
                      PG – Fridge Holman 10.4
                      PG – Preston Carrington 10.4
                      PG – Joe Ragland 10 2.3 3
                      SG – Terrell Benton 9.9 2.4
                      SG – Sean Ogirri 9.5
                      SG – Bob Trogele 9.3 3.1
                      PG – Terry Hankton 9.3
                      SG -- Ron Baker 9.1 2.9 2.4
                      PG – Matt Braeuer 7.3 2.5 3.1
                      PG – Fred VanVleet 6.1 2.7 3.1
                      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                      ---------------------------------------
                      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• A dream many of us had was seeing FVV and Baker playing together as Seniors. I want Ron to do what is best for him of course. However, if he

so chooses to come back with FVV----wow!!!! In the meanwhile, we have them to enjoy this Season. Is there a such thing as Bookend Guards?

If not, just throw in Mr. Cotton and we will administer the ole 1-2-3 monsta flurry on both sides of the hardwood. When have we had 3 players like this

together at those 3 positions here at 21st and Hillside? Even if we have had such players on the offensive side of things in times past, look at their collective stats on defense.

The perspective of it all is fun to behold. We are living the Shocker dream and the best is yet to come.
                        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Baker or Thompson.

Comment

• For selfish reasons I'd love to see Ron stay. Him a Fred as seniors would be heaven, and who knows Ron might be thinking the same thing, you only get this chance once in your life, to be adored by faithful fans on a top 10 team and a team with asperations of making it to anotheir final four

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                              Using the positions in the Hyptothetical Play-off that Lutz did last year, here are the guards listed:
                              Points Reb Ass
                              SG – Greg Carney 20.1 4.2
                              SG – Bob Wilson 20
                              SG – Maurice Evans 17.1 4.6
                              SG – Joe Stevens 16.6 3.9
                              SG – Ron Mendell 15.3
                              SG – Aubrey Sherrod 15.1 2.7 3.3
                              SG – L.D. Swanson 14.6
                              SG – Kelly Pete 14.1 6.4
                              PG – Lanny Van Eman 14 3.1
                              PG – Jimmy Bolden 13.4
                              PG – Ernie Moore 13.2 3.1
                              PG – Randy Smithson 13
                              SG – Randy Burns 12.9 3.8 2.2
                              SG – Paul Guffrovich 12.2 5.9 3.2
                              PG – Paul Scheer 11.7
                              SG – Dwight Praylow 11.6
                              PG – Clevin Hannah 11.6 2.5 4.5
                              PG – Calvin Bruton 11.6 2.6
                              PG – Tony Martin 11.5
                              SG – Toure Murry 11.1 4.5 3.1
                              SG – Leonard Kelley 11.1
                              PG – Malcolm Armstead 10.7 3.8 4
                              PG – Robert George 10.6
                              PG – Fridge Holman 10.4
                              PG – Preston Carrington 10.4
                              PG – Joe Ragland 10 2.3 3
                              SG – Terrell Benton 9.9 2.4
                              SG – Sean Ogirri 9.5
                              SG – Bob Trogele 9.3 3.1
                              PG – Terry Hankton 9.3
                              SG -- Ron Baker 9.1 2.9 2.4
                              PG – Matt Braeuer 7.3 2.5 3.1
                              PG – Fred VanVleet 6.1 2.7 3.1
                              How did you figure Ron's stats? Did you take into account only the games he played in his RFr year?

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                                How did you figure Ron's stats? Did you take into account only the games he played in his RFr year?
                                I attempted to take total career totals and divide by the total games played, prior to this season.
                                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                                ---------------------------------------
                                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                                X