No announcement yet.

Ron Baker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I remember a year when we were in the S16 and only lost 1 player. It was around mid-season the next year that we fnally realized the significance that losing one player can have.

We have WAY more depth going into next year than we had in 2006. We're going to miss Armstead and Hall. We won't know how much we're going to miss them for a month or so into the season. We get Coleby and Wessel (much D1 experience) in addition to the incoming recruits.

I think we've got the players, coaches, and attitude to be top-20 for most or all of the year. I think we'll start the year somewhere in the mid-teens in the polls.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      I remember a year when we were in the S16 and only lost 1 player. It was around mid-season the next year that we fnally realized the significance that losing one player can have.
      To be fair, we also lost two walk-ons that were leaders and while I don't know the details, something was very, very wrong with the team chemistry.

Comment

• well.... I heard the rumors at the time Sean O did something that didn't sit well with his teammates and team chemistry was destroyed.
        "Valley-shaking, nation-waking 29-game win streak." - Paul Suellentrop, The Wichita Eagle

Comment

• The media can be really dumb. However, this type of run, coming off a season where we lost our 5 top scorers will settle deep in their minds. Don't underestimate the power of the Final Four and the cache that is being built up.

I think we'll easily be preseason Top 20 next year.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by HarpBros View Post
            well.... I heard the rumors at the time Sean O did something that didn't sit well with his teammates and team chemistry was destroyed.
            I am sure the team chemistry was part of the issue, but we had zero depth on the front court and we were small.

Kyle Wilson was out of position at the #5 spot for starters. Our front line was 6'8" and 6'5" with 6'7" off the bench, and that was about it. We had zero depth up front. I think that finally caught up to us.

Comment

• Depth in the front court on that team was a big issue. Turg wasn't able to attract the front court players "at this level" to continue the success of the program. Kyle Wilson who should have been a stretch 4 was playing center and all the other posts were small even by MVC standards. Then there were the off court issues that really upset team chemistry. Lastly I think Turg just lost the team at the end of the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                I am sure the team chemistry was part of the issue, but we had zero depth on the front court and we were small.

Kyle Wilson was out of position at the #5 spot for starters. Our front line was 6'8" and 6'5" with 6'7" off the bench, and that was about it. We had zero depth up front. I think that finally caught up to us.
                Plus the opponents figgered out that Sean was a one trick pony.
                "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by Zardoz View Post
                  Depth in the front court on that team was a big issue. Turg wasn't able to attract the front court players "at this level" to continue the success of the program. Kyle Wilson who should have been a stretch 4 was playing center and all the other posts were small even by MVC standards. Then there were the off court issues that really upset team chemistry. Lastly I think Turg just lost the team at the end of the season.
                  I thought Stretch Four was a type of offense. You mean it's a position?

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmee View Post
                    Add to that we made the Final Four with only 2 scoring. DWill has been absent sense the last game of the season.
                    I think DWill is much more valuable in Valley Games. 4 years here, he knows the Valley inside and out, I think that's why (and injuries) his minutes have dropped in the tourney
                    I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
                    If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zardoz View Post
                      Depth in the front court on that team was a big issue. Turg wasn't able to attract the front court players "at this level" to continue the success of the program. Kyle Wilson who should have been a stretch 4 was playing center and all the other posts were small even by MVC standards. Then there were the off court issues that really upset team chemistry. Lastly I think Turg just lost the team at the end of the season.
                      We were #8 in the country at one point that year, with wins over George Mason (off the FF run), a top 10 LSU team on the road, and a top 15 Syracuse team on the road. The problem wasn't that we were a bad team by any means.

That was a weird year, but I don't think talent, depth, or positions were the problem, or we wouldn't have been able to start the year off so well. That was a mental thing.
                      Originally posted by BleacherReport
                      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Yeah, but all three of those teams (GMU, LSU and Syuracuse) completely tanked that year, so none of those wins ended up being very impressive.

Comment

• Originally posted by LandStander View Post
                          I think DWill is much more valuable in Valley Games. 4 years here, he knows the Valley inside and out, I think that's why (and injuries) his minutes have dropped in the tourney
                          Or it might be his shooting has been awful! Hope that three-ball gets him untracked!!!!!
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                            Or it might be his shooting has been awful! Hope that three-ball gets him untracked!!!!!
                            Originally posted by LandStander View Post
                            It isn't his shooting. It is two things: his decision making and the fact that Ron Baker and FVV are absolute studs. 3G can live with some poor shooting if everything else is equal, but the hard truth is 2 freshman are playing much smarter basketball than he is.

Comment

• While the return of Ron has certainly contributed to shifting minutes away from DWill, the reality is that he is seriously banged up (knee and hip I believe). That has been the single biggest issue in his playing time. Hopefully the time off has given him some to get at least a little healthier.
                              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Ron Baker ‏@RDB_sh31ox1h
                                I just recreated a classic Buzzer Beater at #FinalFourweekend in Atlanta! Check out my @Buick #EncorePerformance http://social-gen.com/finalfour13/index.php?s=1&e=69&id=223 …
                                "Valley-shaking, nation-waking 29-game win streak." - Paul Suellentrop, The Wichita Eagle

Comment

Working...
                                X