No announcement yet.

Ron Baker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Baker is currently set to video game mode.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheYeti
      Don't think for a minute that sweet lil Ronnie doesn't have a mean streak. He played for our rival high school, and they were kicking our ass in football by 40+ or so his senior year, I can't remember if he was their kicker, or holder on PAT attempts, but with seconds remaining in the game, Scott City had scored again, lined up for the PAT, and Ron (according to the SC coach) audibled to a run play for 2, just to stick it in our asses. Glad he's a good guy now, then not so much.
      I kind of like that attitudein ballers. I WANT that underlyoing attitude to be there.

I've watched Baker kill clock and play to minimize the final point spread throughout his college career. I suspect there may have been something else going on if he went for 2 just to stick it to an opponent. That's not what he's shown at WSU.

If an opponent disrespected him or went nutso on trash talk, I would want (and expect) Baker to make them pay in every possible way not involving illegal activities.

While FVV is an outstanding motivational speaker, an outstanding citizen of the community, and a great example to youth here, in Illinois, and across the nation, if you think he's a "nice" player, you might want to show up for some summer scrimmages.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Manhattan_Shocker View Post
        Seton Hall's head coach made a weird comment about Ron after the game.

“Everybody looks at him as this white kid who can’t defend, dribble or do anything else,” Willard said.

He followed this with lots of praise, but what the hell is he taking about?
        Baker, at 6'4", 220, with the foot speed to lead a transition game while dribbling against opponents' guards, and finishing with a thunder dunk doesn't fit that stereotype.

That stereotype is more often directed at 6', 165 white guys who have earned that stereotype.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
          Baker, at 6'4", 220, with the foot speed to lead a transition game while dribbling against opponents' guards, and finishing with a thunder dunk doesn't fit that stereotype.

That stereotype is more often directed at 6', 165 white guys who have earned that stereotype.
          :(
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
            If you're unhappy because those are your dimensions...

What I'd give to lose 45 pounds and gain four inches.

Edit: I see it, but I'm willing to stick with my phrasing of those four inches.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
              Yup. At least my dig was at a past opposing team's player.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                While FVV is an outstanding motivational speaker, an outstanding citizen of the community, and a great example to youth here, in Illinois, and across the nation, if you think he's a "nice" player, you might want to show up for some summer scrimmages.
                I had to chuckle when Fred clapped after Whitehead missed a free throw Tuesday night. After Whitehead got his technical he clapped after Ron missed each free throw, and then when Whitehead missed a free throw, Fred was behind him and clapped. I think a ref walked by and said something to Fred and Fred just smiled.

I think both Fred and Ron will play awhile in the NBA and then I think they'd both have bright futures as coaches afterwards if they wanted to pursue that profession.

Comment

• Ron highlight video featured on the MBB page on ESPN.com
                  You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                    Ron highlight video featured on the MBB page on ESPN.com
                    Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                      Ron highlight video featured on the MBB page on ESPN.com
                      If you can't find it or they move it from the front page, here's link to the video

Watching the video reminded me... I think Ron is taking a lot more shots from NBA range this year. It just seems like he can knock them down from anywhere past half court.

Edit: beat to the punch for the link

Comment

• Stud...
                        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fozzy View Post
                          I think both Fred and Ron will play awhile in the NBA and then I think they'd both have bright futures as coaches afterwards if they wanted to pursue that profession.
                          I'm still surprised at the number of people who think Fred will have a long NBA career. I just don't see it. Great college player. No NBA career.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                            I'm still surprised at the number of people who think Fred will have a long NBA career. I just don't see it. Great college player. No NBA career.
                            I always forget how much bigger the NBA is at the pg spot. It's hard to think one of the best college basketball players wouldn't at least make it to the NBA. I do think he'll get a shot in the NBA like Peyton Siva or Russ Smith did. I don't know that he'll ever start and I don't know how long he'll stay if he is only ever going to be in the D league. If I had to bet you, though, I'd bet that after his senior year he gets drafted in the second round.

Comment

I agree that at this point the NBA seems a bit of a long-shot for 2V although he will make some decent money playing pro basketball somewhere and wherever he goes they will love him. OTOH, Fred always seems to exceed expectations.

Glad we still have him this year and next. Will no doubt go down as the greatest point guard in Shocker history and quite likely to have his #23 Shocker Jersey hanging in the Koch Arena rafters forever.

Comment

I agree. He has more important things to do with his life, as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X