Court TRO on 2nd time transfers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

On the plus side, ticket prices will go down. No need for multi- million dollar facilities.
    The negatives are expected. Anytime govt gets involved (NIL) things just seem to fall apart. High school amateur athletics will be next in line.
    NIL deals are already legal for Kansas HS student athletes, just a matter of someone with $$$ offering them and following the regs stated by KSHSAA:

KANSAS

Governing Body: Kansas State High School Activities Association

State NIL Law: N/A

Governance: KSHSAA Handbook 2021-22

Applicable Language: Rule 21

Notes: The current interpretation of the Rule 21 amateurism regulations allow student-athletes to monetizing their NIL. The KSHSAA requires NIL activities must not (1) interrupt the school day for students; (2) reference the school name, school team, school logo nor school mascot; (3) use any school uniforms; (4) use any school facilities; (5) reference any school awards won by the student-athlete; (6) feature practice or game film; (7) influence attendance at a specific school, and; (8) associate with tobacco, alcohol, banned athletic substances, illegal substances or activities, or wagering.

Source: https://biz.opendorse.com/blog/nil-high-school/
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

NIL deals are already legal for Kansas HS student athletes, just a matter of someone with $$$ offering them and following the regs stated by KSHSAA:

KANSAS

Governing Body: Kansas State High School Activities Association

State NIL Law: N/A

Governance: KSHSAA Handbook 2021-22

Applicable Language: Rule 21

Notes: The current interpretation of the Rule 21 amateurism regulations allow student-athletes to monetizing their NIL. The KSHSAA requires NIL activities must not (1) interrupt the school day for students; (2) reference the school name, school team, school logo nor school mascot; (3) use any school uniforms; (4) use any school facilities; (5) reference any school awards won by the student-athlete; (6) feature practice or game film; (7) influence attendance at a specific school, and; (8) associate with tobacco, alcohol, banned athletic substances, illegal substances or activities, or wagering.

Source: https://biz.opendorse.com/blog/nil-high-school/
      Pretty good rules, but still opens door for a high profile high schooler to be paid to play in the future for a particular college. This would be an extreme example, but say Arch Manning was offered by Nike, millions as a junior or senior in high school in exchange for a commitment to Oregon.

I understand the NIL intent to allow kids to make a small portion of the billions that their universities make off of the performance of the kids. But it really sucks, especially for the WSUs of the world. And WSU has some power in the use of NIL compared to many schools.

Comment

Pretty good rules, but still opens door for a high profile high schooler to be paid to play in the future for a particular college. This would be an extreme example, but say Arch Manning was offered by Nike, millions as a junior or senior in high school in exchange for a commitment to Oregon.

I understand the NIL intent to allow kids to make a small portion of the billions that their universities make off of the performance of the kids. But it really sucks, especially for the WSUs of the world. And WSU has some power in the use of NIL compared to many schools.
        I really believe that college athletics as we've known it for a long time is about to come crashing down. There will be a small number of truly "bigguns" that will be essentially minor league pro teams, and the rest, who knows what will happen. I think it will be giant chaotic clusterf*** for several years before things settle down. I still wonder if the insane amounts of money channeled into college football especially is a bubble that will eventually pop.

How much interest would there be if WSU was playing in a lower division than the top level?
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I've said this many times. That is bound to happen if this ruling stands. And that's a good thing.
          You've definitely been saying "players should sign contracts" from Day 1. I agree, if you are taking NIL money. I guess if you aren't sucking on that teet, you would be exempt from a contract, maybe?
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Absolutely no way Defgray is playing this Saturday. We're way too conservative of school to do anything crazy like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
              Anarchy.
              Dogs and cats sleeping together
              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

You've definitely been saying "players should sign contracts" from Day 1. I agree, if you are taking NIL money. I guess if you aren't sucking on that teet, you would be exempt from a contract, maybe?
                I'd rather everyone be under contract to stop or slow the transfer portal. Otherwise an under the radar kid ends up transferring out for big bucks and burning his bridge behind him.

Comment

Two year scholarship contracts would increase continuity in and of themselves. The only buy out for leaving early would be sitting out a year but unless you were a menace to society, the program couldn’t send you packing after year one.

Comment

I've mentioned this before, but unless contracts are required (and who is going to enforce that? The NCAA? lol), I don't see how it would work. Why would a player choose Team A, who wants a 2+ year contract and not Team B, who is only asking for a 1-year contract? Teams will just compete against each other until the contracts are worthless.

Comment

So the baseball, golf and tennis models are the way to go. Either start out as a pro, leave early as a pro and what we are left with is the true student athlete. The NBA and top level Euro leagues could start grooming early. Also quit loading up athletes with worthless degrees, instead load them up with technical skills the first two years followed by management curriculum.

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
                        Absolutely no way Defgray is playing this Saturday. We're way too conservative of school to do anything crazy like that.
                        I tend to agree now that it's isn't clear cut if eligibility would be spent regardless.

If there is any chance he would burn a full year of eligibility I don't think WSU will take the chance.
                        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I'd rather everyone be under contract to stop or slow the transfer portal. Otherwise an under the radar kid ends up transferring out for big bucks and burning his bridge behind him.
                          I think for me, that's okay. I don't think a kid should be _forced_ into a contract, unless he wants to take money. I think a kid should be able to retain amateur/non-contract status, if he's willing to be scholarship only.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                            Two year scholarship contracts would increase continuity in and of themselves. The only buy out for leaving early would be sitting out a year but unless you were a menace to society, the program couldn’t send you packing after year one.
                            Why not just have an _actual_ buy out?

Comment

This is just going completely crazy. I think I’m also in the camp that the NCAA is basically toast. I mean what’s next…the Monstars from Space Jam are now eligible? Lola Bunny? Bill Murray?

Comment

Contracts by the themselves wont solve the problem .. might make it worse. There zero chance contracts would be allowed without some sort of buyout. The bigger higher dollar schools would just pay the buyouts. While that would slightly redistribute funds, its likely not enough to make an impact.

If we are going pro model, then well we need to go pro model. Will have to have a Collective Bargaining Agreement, Salary caps and floors and equal revenue distribution.

Comment

Working...
                                X