Welcome - Paul Mills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yea, with the freebie court ordered transfer rule extending into next year, it's going to be a free for all this spring I fear. So it will be key for Mills to keep the players we really need to keep. (no reason at this point to think he won't)
    Back in the day, we expected to lose 2 or 3 to transfer every season, and that was before today's transfer madness. No reason to think we won't lose a half dozen.

Comment

• I wonder why everyone thinks that teams can be built so easily in the transfer portal? That may be the case for programs with VERY recent success or programs with huge NIL's. But many of the players that would come in and be big contributors and help WSU compete for AAC championships and NCAA tourney bids will be highly sought after and have LOTS of good options out there.

Not saying it can't happen, it certainly could. But IMHO it wont be easy for Mills to completely rebuild with the portal in the current state of things. He will likely have to hit a jackpot with an unsung player or players that were hidden on a talented team somewhere, which is partly what he tried to do this year. Some will pan out, some won't. That is gonna take patience on our end and a little luck.
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
        I wonder why everyone thinks that teams can be built so easily in the transfer portal? That may be the case for programs with VERY recent success or programs with huge NIL's. But many of the players that would come in and be big contributors and help WSU compete for AAC championships and NCAA tourney bids will be highly sought after and have LOTS of good options out there.

Not saying it can't happen, it certainly could. But IMHO it wont be easy for Mills to completely rebuild with the portal in the current state of things. He will likely have to hit a jackpot with an unsung player or players that were hidden on a talented team somewhere, which is partly what he tried to do this year. Some will pan out, some won't. That is gonna take patience on our end and a little luck.
        FAU laughs at this.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

FAU laughs at this.
          Did you not see the VERY RECENT SUCCESS part?

Reading comprehension is important

Pretty easy to sustain after a Final 4
          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Did you not see the VERY RECENT SUCCESS part?

Reading comprehension is important

Pretty easy to sustain after a Final 4
            They had no success until they killed it in the portal. That's what took them to the Final Four. It's not like it's ancient history.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Ironically, I am assuming a player who was academically ineligible this semester contributed to this result:

Comment

• I don't know how much Abmas would have helped us (this year), but, in 2013, we had some good fortune to sign a player named Cleanthony Early, and with the Point guards we had signed for the next two years, it added up to a couple of great years of basketball ( culminating in a F4, and #1 Seed the following year). Would Abmas have done the same for us this year, I doubt that we have the same supporting class for him that we did then, but as Early did in 2013, Abmas might have been a big contributor to a good year of basketball this year (maybe Top 25-50), had we been able to get him here. From reports we were close to getting him here even though the National Media didn't think so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                  I don't know how much Abmas would have helped us (this year), but, in 2013, we had some good fortune to sign a player named Cleanthony Early, and with the Point guards we had signed for the next two years, it added up to a couple of great years of basketball ( culminating in a F4, and #1 Seed the following year). Would Abmas have done the same for us this year, I doubt that we have the same supporting class for him that we did then, but as Early did in 2013, Abmas might have been a big contributor to a good year of basketball this year (maybe Top 25-50), had we been able to get him here. From reports we were close to getting him here even though the National Media didn't think so.
                  I believe this is a huge part n our current PG situation. Mills' hands were pretty much tied while waiting for Abmas to make a decision.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Abmas chose to chase the $. I am not faulting him, but that is a fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                      Abmas chose to chase the $. I am not faulting him, but that is a fact.
                      I don’t disagree with this but I think it’s plausible that he also wanted to play for a team that would be competitive in the tourney rather than help his coach out in a rebuilding year. He’s got a lot more eyes on him right now than he would had he chose to wear the yellow and black. I can’t fault him for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

I believe this is a huge part n our current PG situation. Mills' hands were pretty much tied while waiting for Abmas to make a decision.
                        That's still on Mills. It was one of the things I hated about Turgeon. He'd put all his effort into option A and then there was a pretty large fall off to anyone left that he was recruiting for that position.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          Ironically, I am assuming a player who was academically ineligible this semester contributed to this result:

Nice turn around for Cortez... proud of this team. Think academics will be a significant part of the foundation for Mills' program.

Comment

• This Paul Mills quote came out of Taylor's latest newspaper story covering the Shockers.

I think this is one of the most impressive quotes (one liners anyway) from any coach, and high school, small college coaches, etc. should frame it up and put it on their walls.

"The players who are uncoachable and will fight you, I say this a lot, uncoachable players eventually turn into unemployed adults."

He went on to say that his team doesn't have any of those players right now.

Comment

• That's a pretty well known line at this point. I've seen it make the rounds on FB and Twitter for at least the last 5 years with some of the local and national coaches I follow in various sports.

It's really been pushed in the recruiting scene amongst those coaches and I've seen them use this quote to explain why they at times have stopped recruiting good talent because it's just not worth it.

The coaches job is to find talent that fits this mold and the philosophy of the coach and win games.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                                This Paul Mills quote came out of Taylor's latest newspaper story covering the Shockers.

I think this is one of the most impressive quotes (one liners anyway) from any coach, and high school, small college coaches, etc. should frame it up and put it on their walls.

"The players who are uncoachable and will fight you, I say this a lot, uncoachable players eventually turn into unemployed adults."

He went on to say that his team doesn't have any of those players right now.
                                One name comes to mind from the past and it rhymes with Hack Norris.

Comment

Working...
                                X