Welcome - Paul Mills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
    Could we compare Mills and this team to Tang and last year's Wildcats?
    The season before Tang arrived kstate finished 14-17.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

The season before Tang arrived kstate finished 14-17.
      So roughly a 2.5 game difference between what HCIB's last year was (17-15). So roughly comparable considering the competition difference in conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        Could we compare Mills and this team to Tang and last year's Wildcats?
        Only if we have a much bigger NIL warchest than they do. They already have the advantage of playing in a P5. That has to be overcome.

So I'm guessing, no. They can't be compared.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
          This could be an absolute disaster for Mills. Fans who expect or want the results Marshall got aren't likely to see anything resembling those results and then blame Mills for it. The environment in college ball has changed radically from when Marshall was here. Comparing anything in the current era to that era is pointless.
          This makes it sound like you predicted F4, a #1 NCAA Seed, and 34-0 teams for Marshall the first year when he was hired. Comparing anything to that success is pointless. No one was even close to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

Only if we have a much bigger NIL warchest than they do. They already have the advantage of playing in a P5. That has to be overcome.

So I'm guessing, no. They can't be compared.
            While we probably will never know for sure because it isn't public record .. I wouldn't be surprised if KSU basketball has a similar size NIL to WSU basketball. KSU isn't exactly rolling in donor dough compared to most P5s and most of it goes to football.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post

Shamet? He played his final season here between then and now.
              Shhh, that doesn't fit the narrative.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Shamet played his last year here, but not his senior year.

Tang had Marquis Nowell on the roster. Mills has Xavier Bell on the roster. If you want to compare Mills first year to Tang's first year, go ahead and compare Nowell to Bell as a team's starting PG. K State dropped off significantly when Nowell graduated.

K State alums have more money than you might think. Farmers retiring with 2,000 acres are able to sell that for around $3,000 an acre, and K State fans are LOYAL to K State.

The "narrative" is that things at WSU had gone downhill quite a ways before Mills arrived. Mills ability to right the ship has been affected by changes in college basketball. Mills is already taking heat on SN, mostly from posters who opposed his hire.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

The "narrative" is that things at WSU had gone downhill quite a ways before Mills arrived. Mills ability to right the ship has been affected by changes in college basketball. Mills is already taking heat on SN, mostly from posters who opposed his hire.
                  Honest question, at what point do you see Mills being accountable? I realize I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum than you in that I hold the coach ultimately accountable (but I'll admit maybe I'm impatient with how soon) while you seem to take the position that Mills has so many things stacked against him that we shouldn't expect any good results anytime soon. Everything is out of his control according to your posts.

So honest question, what would you see as acceptable results for the rest of this year and the next couple years based on your take of everything going against the program?

Comment

• Im not clear on who’s on what track, but personally speaking, Mills has about the same time as IB to prove himself. This is a new era of college basketball where a coach has a chance to prove themselves quicker, with piecing together a strong team of transfers and all of that, as opposed to slowly growing a core who sticks around. So he needs to prove himself QUICK.

That being said, this is also an era where our new AD has to prove himself, and he’s well on his way. Why am I brining him up? Because in this era, for a coach to be as successful as they can be, they need to have NIL backing them up, and that’s on Saal and Mills both. M

For what it’s worth, I think Mills is on the right track with what he’s got. He’s gotta do better against the teams that are actually decent though. Otherwise, he’s gonna lose confidence which makes NIL harder which … makes winning harder. It’s a vicious circle.

I’ll also say this. Mills is our chance to get back to relevancy. We have to hope he does well. Otherwise, we’re officially a thing of the past and will be thought of as a flash in the pan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Honest question, at what point do you see Mills being accountable? I realize I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum than you in that I hold the coach ultimately accountable (but I'll admit maybe I'm impatient with how soon) while you seem to take the position that Mills has so many things stacked against him that we shouldn't expect any good results anytime soon. Everything is out of his control according to your posts.

So honest question, what would you see as acceptable results for the rest of this year and the next couple years based on your take of everything going against the program?
                      The athletic department is in such a financial mess that there's no option of replacing Mills before Marshall and IB are paid off. If Mills is the ONLY option for a few years then I'm going to try to stay positive until something can be done. Holding a first-year coach who inherited what remained from a 17-15 team and had a short recruiting cycle "accountable" strikes me as being unfair to that coach.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Tad early for this discussion, isn't it? By my count, (feel free to correct me) there is only 2 that won't be back, and 1 scholarship left unused this year. Mills has filled 2 of those with what I would consider, very good freshmen, at a minimum. The addition of those 2, however, could also affect 2 of our current players Mills recruited this year. If so, we may have another spot or two to fill.

Hopefully we'll have a minimum of defections, so that should give more insight to his coaching skills next year. The following year, he will definitely need to be on top of his recruiting game.

Comment

The athletic department is in such a financial mess that there's no option of replacing Mills before Marshall and IB are paid off. If Mills is the ONLY option for a few years then I'm going to try to stay positive until something can be done. Holding a first-year coach who inherited what remained from a 17-15 team and had a short recruiting cycle "accountable" strikes me as being unfair to that coach.
                          I don't disagree with most of what you said there. But you also didn't even attempt to answer the question. Im genuinely curious what you would consider "good enough" the next few years. I 100% agree he has at least 3 years due to the buyouts.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                            Tad early for this discussion, isn't it? By my count, (feel free to correct me) there is only 2 that won't be back, and 1 scholarship left unused this year. Mills has filled 2 of those with what I would consider, very good freshmen, at a minimum. The addition of those 2, however, could also affect 2 of our current players Mills recruited this year. If so, we may have another spot or two to fill.

Hopefully we'll have a minimum of defections, so that should give more insight to his coaching skills next year. The following year, he will definitely need to be on top of his recruiting game.
                            Yea, with the freebie court ordered transfer rule extending into next year, it's going to be a free for all this spring I fear. So it will be key for Mills to keep the players we really need to keep. (no reason at this point to think he won't)

Comment

Shamet played his last year here, but not his senior year.

Tang had Marquis Nowell on the roster. Mills has Xavier Bell on the roster. If you want to compare Mills first year to Tang's first year, go ahead and compare Nowell to Bell as a team's starting PG. K State dropped off significantly when Nowell graduated.

K State alums have more money than you might think. Farmers retiring with 2,000 acres are able to sell that for around $3,000 an acre, and K State fans are LOYAL to K State.

Aargh,
                              Pretty much spot on.
                              The difference between FHCGM's first year and HCPM's is the landscape of collegiate sports.
                              NIL and the effects of the green lettuce of salvation is indisputable. It's just a whole new world vs 2007 and GM's first year.
                              However, there are those on here who still think GM is coming back and Happy Dayz will instantly be here again.
                              It ain't happening folks.

PM taking over this program and the mess left to him is a major rebuild job - just as FCGM had one too.
                              But the way GM did it and the manner that PM will have to go through are totally different.
                              People on here forget GM started with guys like Duke Tschomba and Adam Grundvig. Results were as expected, with GM ultimately getting whacked by JD Collins in the MVC Tourney.

PM knew what he was getting into here. He is also much better equipped to right the ship as he understands NIL, the Portal and players in todays game.
                              It's not a place for the weak minded or those who aspire to learn on the job.

Practice some patience people. This will not happen overnight or especially in the first season. There is a plan and a guy who has the support to get the job done.
                              But expecting everything to come together in one season is nonsense and foolishness.

That is all.
                              Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Aargh,
                                Pretty much spot on.
                                The difference between FHCGM's first year and HCPM's is the landscape of collegiate sports.
                                NIL and the effects of the green lettuce of salvation is indisputable. It's just a whole new world vs 2007 and GM's first year.
                                However, there are those on here who still think GM is coming back and Happy Dayz will instantly be here again.
                                It ain't happening folks.

PM taking over this program and the mess left to him is a major rebuild job - just as FCGM had one too.
                                But the way GM did it and the manner that PM will have to go through are totally different.
                                People on here forget GM started with guys like Duke Tschomba and Adam Grundvig. Results were as expected, with GM ultimately getting whacked by JD Collins in the MVC Tourney.

PM knew what he was getting into here. He is also much better equipped to right the ship as he understands NIL, the Portal and players in todays game.
                                It's not a place for the weak minded or those who aspire to learn on the job.

Practice some patience people. This will not happen overnight or especially in the first season. There is a plan and a guy who has the support to get the job done.
                                But expecting everything to come together in one season is nonsense and foolishness.

That is all.
                                Pretty sure those guys were leftovers that MT received.
                                78-65

Comment

Working...
                                X