No announcement yet.

Welcome - Paul Mills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’ll just put this here since PM coaches the most visible sport; obviously could be posted in several places…

“The new hires bring different backgrounds.

Mills started as a high school coach and came up through the Scott Drew coaching tree at Baylor. He spent six seasons building his program at Oral Roberts. Nooner played men's basketball at Kansas and worked as a women's assistant there and at Texas, Maryland, Alabama and Southern Illinois.

Green is at his third stop as a head coach after four seasons at Washington State and five at New Mexico State.

What is similar is the three men's reputation for building relationships. Mills, Nooner and Green are all described as people who connect and serve their athletes. In an unpredictable and changing world of college athletics, those attributes are one way to recruit and retain.

"The student-athlete walks away knowing the coach has their best interests at heart, knowing that coach cares for them at a genuine and authentic level," director of athletics Kevin Saal said in August. "You have to coach the person first. We need connectors. We need leaders of people. Relational folks that can have the hard conversations and do it in such a way where it is a family atmosphere and it's genuine."”

https://x.com/paulsuellentrop/status...RAo3nyj2tMrEmg
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Eldridge story from today-Why Mills won't overreact to December losses:
      https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...es/ar-AA1mpUPG
      Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockrah View Post
        Eldridge story from today-Why Mills won't overreact to December losses:
        https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...es/ar-AA1mpUPG
        Apparently boxing out is part of the care score. So it's allegedly important. Why do we see so little of it in games?
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Apparently boxing out is part of the care score. So it's allegedly important. Why do we see so little of it in games?
          I honestly thought it was a tactical strategy because they do it so little.

Great question for the coaches show.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Valid question.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Maybe recently added because the coaches noticed the same thing?
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• What's Mills makin'? $100k/month? He needs to kick back some of that towards his player's salaries until (if) he's producing on the court. I'd say $1k/month per scholly is fair.

You're not gettin' your full paycheck with an "unfull" team.

He should volunteer this today. Marshall probably would have. He asked Schaus to fire him his first year because losing was unacceptable to him.

Comment

• Comment

• The honeymoon is officially over

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                      The honeymoon is officially over
                      Yep. the only benefit of the doubt I'm giving him is that he inherited many of the problems and had a short recruiting cycle. What he's done with what he's got isn't encouraging.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Wearing out his welcome. Wasn’t expected miracles this season but progress. This team has stagnated or dare I say, regressed.

Comment

• On an previous Podcast, Mills stated in his calm minister like way that things would get better going forward. Since I believed him, now having a severe crisis of faith.
                          Last edited by N Crestway; January 5, 2024, 05:51 AM.

Comment

• I’m still in the “wait and see” mode with Mills, but last night has me more concerned that he’s less Jerome Tang and more Scott Thompson.

Comment

• Paul’s quotes (paraphrasing):

1. “The standard is the standard”
                              — If that’s the case, the standard must be pretty low.

2. “The non-conference prepares you for the conference”
                              — It did?

3. “This team needs to find its identity”
                              —Identity is determined by actions. If actions have no consequences, you won’t discover your identity.

With that, still “trying” to be a Paul believer, but it’s getting very hard to do so. No energy, little hustle, poor coaching decisions. Giving him this one year bogey, barely. After that…

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                I’m still in the “wait and see” mode with Mills, but last night has me more concerned that he’s less Jerome Tang and more Scott Thompson.
                                Ooof. I was worried Thompson's name might start popping up.

Comment

Working...
                                X