No announcement yet.

Welcome - Paul Mills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over analyzing can be a mine field. Overanalyzing with bad data can be disastrous. What if things are going like this, based on what Mills has repeatedly said

Mills to player X: This is what you're best at, I want you to do more of that.

Player X: I've never done that before. I'm not really sure how to do that, and I'd rather not do that.

And the things that Player X is best at were observed in practice against WSU's SECOND-TEAM defenders.

On another topic: The pre-game emphasis against NT was to shut down the 3-ball. The first time I had a chance to check score and stats Thursday, WSU was down about 7 and NT was 4/5 from 3. Taylor's article today showed how they did that. The way Pohto was being used to cut off drives after screens would ALWAYS leave a 3-shooter open because Pohto isn't quick enough or fast enough to recover from defending the drive to contesting the shot.

Ballard had a similar problem for a different reason. He's quick enough and fast enough to challenge, but he doesn't seem to react quickly enough to be effective. Plus, when Ballard has to challenge a 3 shooter our rim protector and rebounder is 20' from the basket.

The current D1 game requires a PF who is quick enough to defend the perimeter and can hit at least 30% from the perimeter. Pohto is neither. Abidde could be both, but he's still pretty raw, as is Ballard.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Was the team that couldn't score more than 45 (and gave up 89) against AAC leader Houston representative of Mills' recruiting prowess? Let's hope not.

Here's to hoping this team is at least 'competing' before the season is over, or maybe next year. That'll probably keep Mills his job in the long run.

It's too early to give up on HCPM, but the results aren't encouraging, so far...

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        Over analyzing can be a mine field. Overanalyzing with bad data can be disastrous. What if things are going like this, based on what Mills has repeatedly said

Mills to player X: This is what you're best at, I want you to do more of that.

Player X: I've never done that before. I'm not really sure how to do that, and I'd rather not do that.

And the things that Player X is best at were observed in practice against WSU's SECOND-TEAM defenders.

On another topic: The pre-game emphasis against NT was to shut down the 3-ball. The first time I had a chance to check score and stats Thursday, WSU was down about 7 and NT was 4/5 from 3. Taylor's article today showed how they did that. The way Pohto was being used to cut off drives after screens would ALWAYS leave a 3-shooter open because Pohto isn't quick enough or fast enough to recover from defending the drive to contesting the shot.

Ballard had a similar problem for a different reason. He's quick enough and fast enough to challenge, but he doesn't seem to react quickly enough to be effective. Plus, when Ballard has to challenge a 3 shooter our rim protector and rebounder is 20' from the basket.

The current D1 game requires a PF who is quick enough to defend the perimeter and can hit at least 30% from the perimeter. Pohto is neither. Abidde could be both, but he's still pretty raw, as is Ballard.
        You cannot start both big guys and also focus on shutting down their 3-point game. Cannot do both. Mike and Dave said as much in the pregame. HCPM realized this finally when we were down 14 and the game was basically over.

Comment

• just to clarify: shockers' are halfway through the season and the shockers' schedule is about to get tougher (conference play brings more steel and intensity). they have to get better NOW, halfway through the season, not 5 games from now, or they are looking at sub .500 (see: unt at wsu for example).

don't overhelp on defense if you can't even begin to recover.

Comment

• Mills better hope Armchair can come through BIGLY, because he needs to cut a substantial number of players and replace them with guys who know how to play the game and can hit baskets.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Honestly I can’t even be mad at Mills. How do you coach a team who literally only has one person that has any sort of gravity. Of course we’ll lose when our only option is to drive and they just mass clog the paint.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
                Honestly I can’t even be mad at Mills. How do you coach a team who literally only has one person that has any sort of gravity. Of course we’ll lose when our only option is to drive and they just mass clog the paint.
                He's going to need to recruit differently than he did this year for sure

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

He's going to need to recruit differently than he did this year for sure
                  I can’t remember where he said it, but he said his strategy this year was to get the most dunks. Wanted a team with lots of slashers. I just don’t think he anticipated NOBODY having a shot. The fact that taylor caught on that we moved away from spacing to having 4 guys on one side and letting Colby go to work is absolutely nuts.

I’m already worried about Mills, but I’m going to feel in the dumps if we don’t really go hard in the portal next year.

Comment

• yeah, it’s too bad all of those stellar recruits that Isaac had lined up decommitted after he was fired.

I can’t believe these are the only guys mills went after. It’s like he didn’t even try.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• If I remember correctly, there was complete silence about portal recruiting after HCPM came in. I have no idea who he was trying to get or if he even tried to get anyone. Unless people leave on their own or he encourages some to leave he doesn't have many scholarships to work with. I have a feeling this is going to be a frustrating year followed by a very frustrating recruitment season.

Comment

• Four ways Wichita State basketball can learn from Temple loss:
                        Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

• Yep. 15 games seems like enough of a sample size. Fire his a$$. Let's rehire IB and go back to winning...

Comment

Working...
                          X