Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media Day Quotables: Paul Mills

https://goshockers.com/news/2023/10/...aul-mills.aspx

On the team's intrasquad scrimmage Sunday…

On if there are any similarities between his first season at Wichita State and when he took over the Oral Roberts job…

On what he thinks it will take to be successful in the AAC this season…

On if Kenny Pohto has stepped into a leadership role…

On how they hold players accountable to the standard they want…

On adding Dalen Ridgnal right before leaving for Greece and his impact…

On what he thinks a successful season will look like…​​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

On adding Dalen Ridgnal right before leaving for Greece and his impact…
      The Orlando Magic called me the other day and was asking me about some of the guys on the team. Standard question with NBA teams is who's the last one to leave the gym? I told them there hasn't been a day that's gone by and Dalen Ridgnal is not the last person out of here. He works. He has a motor. He is a phenomenal young man. We lucked into that one. Tom Crean is a good friend and he was at Georgia and Tom Crean told me, 'Paul you have to take him. He will find a way.' I can't wait for Shocker fans to see him."

Comment

• I know Mills is going to have to prove that he can win at this level. Marshall won at this level in the MVC. Then he won ridiculously when the MVC became his play toy and, without Creighton and with SIU tanking, the MVC was no longer competitive.

Mills seems to have a lot of the positive aspects of coaching that Marshall brought to the game. Mills seems to have a more modern version of the game than Marshall had. Mills seems to have a better approach to keeping players than Marshall had in his last years.

Mills is unlikely to have an undefeated season or a F4 appearance. Marshall was not likely to have either again.

Marshall's results were something he or any other coach at WSU is unlikely to repeat. That run is and was over. The year WSU entered the AAC they were a preseason top-10 team that ended up losing in the NCAA tourney to a low-ranked team. That was the end of the Marshall era.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            I know Mills is going to have to prove that he can win at this level. Marshall won at this level in the MVC. Then he won ridiculously when the MVC became his play toy and, without Creighton and with SIU tanking, the MVC was no longer competitive.

Mills seems to have a lot of the positive aspects of coaching that Marshall brought to the game. Mills seems to have a more modern version of the game than Marshall had. Mills seems to have a better approach to keeping players than Marshall had in his last years.

Mills is unlikely to have an undefeated season or a F4 appearance. Marshall was not likely to have either again.

Marshall's results were something he or any other coach at WSU is unlikely to repeat. That run is and was over. The year WSU entered the AAC they were a preseason top-10 team that ended up losing in the NCAA tourney to a low-ranked team. That was the end of the Marshall era.
            100%BS

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post

100%BS
              How so?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post

100%BS
                How was Burton used at WSU? He was an all -conference off guard in the ACC. How was Sherfield used at WSU? He was successful at Nevada and OU, but was a dribble out the time clock player at WSU. How was Reaves used at WSU? He was used as a spot-up perimeter shooter. He transferred to OU, where he was an all-conference PG in the toughest league in D1. He's excelling in the NBA where they allow him to handle the ball and drive and dish or shoot. How was Shamet used at WSU? He was the PG. He's an often traded but steady contributor in the NBA as a perimeter shooter. Sherfield also had good minutes at OU.

Then there's Dexter Dennis, who was given last-minute winning shots from 3 as a Fr, and then couldn't hit from there again until he went to aTm.

We can celebrate the years Marshall gave us. His last few years didn't seem to match the skills of the players with the on court system. That led to player turnover.

Marshall's trajectory had turned. It was unlikely he would ever achieve the success he previously had. It was time for a change.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

How was Burton used at WSU? He was an all -conference off guard in the ACC. How was Sherfield used at WSU? He was successful at Nevada and OU, but was a dribble out the time clock player at WSU. How was Reaves used at WSU? He was used as a spot-up perimeter shooter. He transferred to OU, where he was an all-conference PG in the toughest league in D1. He's excelling in the NBA where they allow him to handle the ball and drive and dish or shoot. How was Shamet used at WSU? He was the PG. He's an often traded but steady contributor in the NBA as a perimeter shooter. Sherfield also had good minutes at OU.

Then there's Dexter Dennis, who was given last-minute winning shots from 3 as a Fr, and then couldn't hit from there again until he went to aTm.

We can celebrate the years Marshall gave us. His last few years didn't seem to match the skills of the players with the on court system. That led to player turnover.

Marshall's trajectory had turned. It was unlikely he would ever achieve the success he previously had. It was time for a change.

I’m going to say something super controversial. Marshall’s best years were when we had Fred Van Vleet here, and I don’t think that’s by chance. I *think* (my opinion don’t blast me) that the height of his success was contributed in large part by how FVV owned that team and led it. Because when he was gone, we suddenly seemed subpar.

either that or the success of the f4 and undefeated run truly got to Marshalls head and he thought he was smarter and better than he was.

I thought he was a great coach, but it’s just a thought that lingers in my head from time to time.

Comment

• People like to forget a few things.

Shaqs laziness was a poison.
                    Landry's last team quit on Marshall. Marshall had to move on from those players, leaving huge gaps he filled with highly talented freshmen that didn’t fit his style or system.
                    Marshall over-recruited with Burton/Sherfeld/Stevenson et al. He didn’t have enough minutes to go around and no senior leadership.
                    marshalls best teams were balanced with senior leadership and solid role players surrounding the talent.
                    Patty pissed all over the program.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I love me some Coach Marshall but he had a "dinasour" offense that only worked with unbelievable relentless precision and dedication within the system. You made a bad pass...to the bench. Very disciplined. No room for errors. We all liked the success it was.

Then with success...recruiting a newer athlete was there for the taking. He got some. He did. Coach had it all right in front of him. But the newer athlete was a changing. Couldn't relate to the old school coaching and offensive philosophy.

Those young dudes bitched and moaned for more playing time and silently fought amongst themselves leading to "I'm outta here".

Unbelievable great Division I coach - major success!!!

Times and things changed in that 10-12 year run.

Era's come and go. It 100% sucked to see it slide away. BUT a new era has come around. Everything that transpired with ridding the old to the new is a positive!

It ain't going away. This is SHOCKER basketball!!! Been a couple-few years....but watch and see. This new coach and these players will WIN!!!

Perhaps not this particular year. But have faith young grasshoppers...this is a new beginning of a new ride!!!

GO SHOCKS!!!
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• It's mystifying why GGG would bench (as in not starting) a 'legitimate' 6'6" guard (Reaves). I'm still hoping WSU gets another one of those some day...

Comment

• We had Frankamp but Marshall refused to use him how he plays best and tried to fit him into the Marshall System. Instead we had to use Frankamp as a 6’ shooting guard and use arguably the best shooting guard in the history of WSU (Shamet) at point. Meanwhile, we have Reaves basically standing around waiting for a pass. That was a total waste of talent that year. Yes, we were ranked and made the NCAAs but that was talent overcoming the system.

I don’t mean to pile on 3G, he deserves to be considered the greatest coach of all time at WSU, but we need to get past him and realize that he was trending down, not up, when he was fired. We need to get behind Paul Mills and this group. I’m excited about what I see and hear so far and hope the fans show up to support this team.

Comment

• 3G deserves ALL THE CREDIT in the world for his unreal run. It was just that - unreal. And many are right, it may not ever be duplicated again. WSU fans and the institution still owe him, there is no doubt.

He also deserves FAR more credit for it all falling apart than most on here are willing to give him - IMHO.

Comment

• Reaves' arm was literally falling out of its socket while he was here. He was also 30 pounds lighter than he was at Oklahoma because he was a frail and broken underclassman.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

So even without the Shaq incident, you were ready to can Marshall?

Thats a complete and utter joke. Trash the guy all you want now but you never uttered a peep about him while he was here.

Top 10 teams lose all of the time in the first round. They were still a top 10 team in 2018 and was a second away from winning the conference. Made it to the NIT final 4 in 2019 and was likely to have an NCAA tourney team in 2020. Then IB took his team with his layout to the tourney in 2021. He had one “down” year, which I guess nobody is allowed to have that still resulted in a trip to New York and it still wasn’t good enough for some. You say that kind of success would never be duplicated again but then was ready to fire him for it because he was only producing at-large type teams after.

Well how how’s that worked out since he’s been gone?

Dumb.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X