Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

Agree on Abmas
    So you think that Abidde is ready to start and play 20+ minutes this year (and even then he's be our only 4), so we better not have foul problems?

And Ballard will have to play 20 minutes a game too at the 5, if German ever has foul problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

Trust me - if a freshman demonstrates real promise and an believable enthusiasm/commitment to the name on the front of the jersey- the money will be there… Throw the fans a little red meat - by playing the “Wichita is Awesome/The Fans Are The Best/WSU for Life” game and the sky is the limit for these guys.

had NIL been around for any of the players I mentioned above… they fundraising would have been easy. The local business community would have jumped at the chance to have FVV, RB, TK represent their brands.
      If a freshman blew up and was looking at 6 figure+ NIL deal, I'm not convinced we can compete. Right now I don't think we can compete in Max auction. I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

So you think that Abidde is ready to start and play 20+ minutes this year (and even then he's be our only 4), so we better not have foul problems?

And Ballard will have to play 20 minutes a game too at the 5, if German ever has foul problems.
        No on both but interesting take on my response about Abmus

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

If a freshman blew up and was looking at 6 figure+ NIL deal, I'm not convinced we can compete. Right now I don't think we can compete in Max auction. I'll believe it when I see it.
          Not even FVV blew up as a freshman at WSU so I think its pretty farfetched to think we’ll have a freshman blow up like that anytime in the near future.

Comment

Not even FVV blew up as a freshman at WSU so I think its pretty farfetched to think we’ll have a freshman blow up like that anytime in the near future.
            Okay, if a freshman, sophomore, junior blew up I don't believe we can outbid the big boys...at least not until we finish paying off multiple high priced coaches (who do you think is footing those bills?)

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker82/85 View Post
              I will throw this in since it has been mentioned that we hope Saal or Paulino can get to Hutch.

If Mills is looking for a 6’3” guard, I saw one today at Hutch. His name is Malachi Davis. He is only ranked #86 on the juco recruiting.com top 100 put out January 3rd, but Brad Winton, a juco recruiting guy, says he has improved a lot this year. He has a teammate, Addison Patterson, that was ranked #7, but he hasn’t played in Hutch. He averages 19 per game. Davis has averaged 16 in 19 minutes per game this season. For the season, he has shot 50/35/77. He plays at Tallahassee. In 2 games, he has scored 79 points. He is 28-56 in 2 games. Today, he scored 48 with a 4 point play with 2 seconds left in overtime to win their game by 1 against Salt Lake. The final was 94-93. Speed, quickness, change of direction, got to the rim at will, range (6 of 12 on 3’s) and had 4 assists credited to him, but I think he had more. Played all 45 minutes. Basically, he is doing by himself what Patterson and him did together throughout the season. I don’t know that you could put Davis at point, but he can definitely make plays for others when he gets in the lane. Davis is from Toronto. He’s a better ball handler than anyone we have on the roster.

Salt Lake has a 6’8” center who average 11.6 ppg & 6.5 rpg. He shot 56/44/85. He made a little over 1 three pointer per game. He had 18 and 14 in the game against Tallahassee. His name is Jared Garcia and he is from Houston. Salt Lake was missing the #1 rated Juco player who has signed with Jans.
              I saw that Shocks02 mentioned Garcia in the recruiting thread. Garcia is taller than Okafor. 5 days ago I sent a tweet to Acy that he might want to evaluate him. After watching some of the highlights on the recruiting thread, he may have a little Rojas in him, but he is a better outside shooter. Rivals showed that he had offers from Texas and Texas A&M in high school, but he went to Charlotte for 2 years before going to Salt Lake this year. Didn’t do a lot at Charlotte, but big guys take more time. I thought he might benefit from Acy. I don’t know if Shocks02 has found any sign of contact between WSU and Garcia.

Davis has committed to Arizona State. He only had low to mid major offers until Hutch.
              Last edited by Shocker82/85; April 17, 2023, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Okay, if a freshman, sophomore, junior blew up I don't believe we can outbid the big boys...at least not until we finish paying off multiple high priced coaches (who do you think is footing those bills?)
                I think you are implying it's big donors?
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

No on both but interesting take on my response about Abmus
                  You agreed with me on Abmas being the priority, so what response are you talking about?

Comment

Trust me - if a freshman demonstrates real promise and an believable enthusiasm/commitment to the name on the front of the jersey- the money will be there… Throw the fans a little red meat - by playing the “Wichita is Awesome/The Fans Are The Best/WSU for Life” game and the sky is the limit for these guys.

had NIL been around for any of the players I mentioned above… they fundraising would have been easy. The local business community would have jumped at the chance to have FVV, RB, TK represent their brands.
                    Everything I'm seeing indicates the NIL monies are more or less guaranteed on the come, not the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post

Everything I'm seeing indicates the NIL monies are more or less guaranteed on the come, not the future.
                      Maybe so - I am suggesting a progressive retention NIL…

Great support, great coaching, national profile and winning are keys to player retention - every key player has to think an NCAA run is possible every year. The $$ just avoids an obvious sirens distraction.

WSU Admins / Fanbase Egos screwed up the winning formula by bolting the MVC… NIL and a potentially reduced competitive environment in the American are throwing WSU a lifeline to the perennial NCAA births we all want…

I just think it is a short sighted to copy the Portal Reliant Strategy (every P5 is seems to be employing) while ignoring arbitrage opportunities….

Comment

Maybe so - I am suggesting a progressive retention NIL…

Great support, great coaching, national profile and winning are keys to player retention - every key player has to think an NCAA run is possible every year. The $$ just avoids an obvious sirens distraction.

WSU Admins / Fanbase Egos screwed up the winning formula by bolting the MVC… NIL and a potentially reduced competitive environment in the American are throwing WSU a lifeline to the perennial NCAA births we all want…

I just think it is a short sighted to copy the Portal Reliant Strategy (every P5 is seems to be employing) while ignoring arbitrage opportunities….
                        Winning in the MVC gives you a winning record. It also gives you a 10-seed if you only have 25+ W's, win the regular season and get into the tourney because you won the auto-bid.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Winning in the MVC gives you a winning record. It also gives you a 10-seed if you only have 25+ W's, win the regular season and get into the tourney because you won the auto-bid.
                          Seemed to work a lot better than now.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

Seemed to work a lot better than now.
                            "Now" would have been mid-pack in the MVC just like it was mid-pack in the AAC this year. Maybe the Shox would have been upper tier in the Valley, but they sure as hell weren't going to be a post-season team if they were still in the Valley.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I can’t believe the “should have stayed in the MVC” is still a thing.
                              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                                I can’t believe the “should have stayed in the MVC” is still a thing.
                                Of all the dumb takes we all sometimes have, I think this is the dumbest that rears it’s head.

Comment

Working...
                                X