• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    groom.
    Me no likey that description.

Comment

We need another PG, preferably a good HS PG that we can groom.
      I’m fine with another point guard, but Abmas is my priority. We have a chance to go deep with Max A. We still need a physical, rebounding 4 and another 5. A HS PG is my next priority but we can do that next year, if not this year, if Abmas happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I’m fine with another point guard, but Abmas is my priority. We have a chance to go deep with Max A. We still need a physical, rebounding 4 and another 5. A HS PG is my next priority but we can do that next year, if not this year, if Abmas happens.
        Agree on Abmas

Comment

We need another PG, preferably a good HS PG that we can groom.
          Lol - I love and respect that statement...but that don't happen anymore my friend. At a non-P5...high school seniors are only worth a "coupon" these days. If they become a star their freshman year or show even a glimpse of potential by the time their a sophomore they're moving on unfortunately. There will be some ananombalies here and there that will stay if they align with the trajectory of the team and the coach and NIL bs...but most won't be there to groom to their frutation their Junior and Senior years. The system now in place dictates their earnings...and they know it.
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

Lol - I love and respect that statement...but that don't happen anymore my friend. At a non-P5...high school seniors are only worth a "coupon" these days. If they become a star their freshman year or show even a glimpse of potential by the time they’re a sophomore they're moving on unfortunately. There will be some ananombalies here and there that will stay if they align with the trajectory of the team and the coach and NIL bs...but most won't be there to groom to their frutation their Junior and Senior years. The system now in place dictates their earnings...and they know it.
            Perhaps that is one take. A HS PG is either gonna learn the ropes at a non-P5 or at a P5, either way, they’re gonna have a hard time finding the floor right off the bat. The P5s are gonna snare the Top 100 HS players plus the best of the non-P5, which means mostly upperclassmen that proved themselves already (Abmus types). We are gonna have to take the frustrated P5 PGs (like Cortes) or non Top 100 HS PGs and develop them under an upperclassman. Maybe they get snagged for their senior year, but we get 1-2 years backup role, and likely 1 good year in a starting role out of them.
            Last edited by Dan; April 17, 2023, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Almost worthy of a Fire Paul Mills thread.
              EXACTLY.....what DOES it take to be a 'basketball analyst" anyway? Besides the ability to mumble nonstop...

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

EXACTLY.....what DOES it take to be a 'basketball analyst" anyway? Besides the ability to mumble nonstop...
                Mumbles is still beside himself that he didn’t win the Pulitzer for bringing down the Gregg Marshall empire.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

Lol - I love and respect that statement...but that don't happen anymore my friend. At a non-P5...high school seniors are only worth a "coupon" these days. If they become a star their freshman year or show even a glimpse of potential by the time their a sophomore they're moving on unfortunately. There will be some ananombalies here and there that will stay if they align with the trajectory of the team and the coach and NIL bs...but most won't be there to groom to their frutation their Junior and Senior years. The system now in place dictates their earnings...and they know it.
                  I actually think this is WSU’s best opportunity to become great. Nab the under-appreciated players out of High School. There have never been more FVV’s, LS’s, AR’s, TK’s and RB’s available. Get them in… drive love and support for them.. use NIL money as retention instead of “buying” for a year.

It takes a longer term view… but if I were coach I would grab the best 12 incoming freshmen available… Knowing the bottom five probably transfer out… bring in five more freshmen. Use NIL to retain the top 7…. i think it is a workable strategy if you recruit the right attitudes:character.

Honestly think the long term view with the right support system would create the best shocker team of all time.

Comment

• I've ignored this thread for a long time, but now that we're past some stuff, I figured I'd jump back in.

I still believe the fear of recruiting HS kids is overblown. Pretty sure I've said it before, but if you're a successful program in a good conference and can be a tournament team and be a threat to make runs in the tournament, you're less likely to lose your top HS kids who are getting decent playing time. If they're treated well, are happy with the staff/team dynamic, and the team is successful and playing games that matter, they're more likely to hang around. It's not a guarantee, but it's far from saying don't touch HS kids because they'll never stay.

Most of the kids that transfer do so because of playing time issues. I get that. Some are really good players on bad teams and they want a chance at playing in games that matter. I get that. Most are looking for more playing time or they've been lied to by a coach about the dynamics of the team or they simply don't fit with the team/coach like they thought they would. Or there's been a change in staff that changes things for them. I can't fault those kids for looking for a better fit for them either.

There are others that may feel that they aren't being developed by the staff to reach their highest potential.

There are some that are simply delusional and think they're more important than they really are.

But if you bring in quality kids that have an active/important role in a winning program that plays meaningful games, they're more likely to stick around. The AAC isn't the XII, but it's still a pretty damn good conference with a number of nationally televised games and a conference that should continue to get multiple bids, and more than we have been getting, in the future. The top programs in such a conference shouldn't be worrying too much about losing top talent. But that also requires having a consistent top 40 program and we have schools that should be able to be in that realm, and WSU should absolutely be in that realm.

If there's good attainable HS talent, you go get it.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

I actually think this is WSU’s best opportunity to become great. Nab the under-appreciated players out of High School. There have never been more FVV’s, LS’s, AR’s, TK’s and RB’s available. Get them in… drive love and support for them.. use NIL money as retention instead of “buying” for a year.

It takes a longer term view… but if I were coach I would grab the best 12 incoming freshmen available… Knowing the bottom five probably transfer out… bring in five more freshmen. Use NIL to retain the top 7…. i think it is a workable strategy if you recruit the right attitudes:character.

Honestly think the long term view with the right support system would create the best shocker team of all time.
                      That's assuming there is all kinds of adequate NIL monies to throw around here.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        If there's good attainable HS talent, you go get it.
                        I suppose the ability for a coach to foster a culture of making freshmen and sophomores feel valued, even in the face of not getting the p.t. that nearly every single underclassman unrealistically thinks they deserve, also makes a drastic difference in the flight risk of those underclassmen.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Even if you tell a freshmen "you are 30 pounds lighter than your junior self, 10% slower than your junior self, 15% weaker than your junior self, and 45% dumber than your junior self, and all the juniors and seniors on our team were in your shoes at one point -- work hard, have patience", it's difficult for their eager egos to get it.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post

Trust me - if a freshman demonstrates real promise and an believable enthusiasm/commitment to the name on the front of the jersey- the money will be there… Throw the fans a little red meat - by playing the “Wichita is Awesome/The Fans Are The Best/WSU for Life” game and the sky is the limit for these guys.

had NIL been around for any of the players I mentioned above… they fundraising would have been easy. The local business community would have jumped at the chance to have FVV, RB, TK represent their brands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post

Conversely - the NIl money has been weak because few players said the right thing or stayed long enough to endear themselves to the local community. If CP3 had another year and spend some time being outwardly vocal his payday would have come in 2023…

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

Trust me - if a freshman demonstrates real promise and an believable enthusiasm/commitment to the name on the front of the jersey- the money will be there… Throw the fans a little red meat - by playing the “Wichita is Awesome/The Fans Are The Best/WSU for Life” game and the sky is the limit for these guys.

had NIL been around for any of the players I mentioned above… they fundraising would have been easy. The local business community would have jumped at the chance to have FVV, RB, TK represent their brands.
                                Even a guy like Wessel would have done well. A glue guy that wasn't the least bit flashy but was pretty well liked despite people wanting to give away his scholarship.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X