Welcome - Paul Mills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
    Code of conduct all players at ORU had to sign.

honor_code.pdf
    What a bunch of BS that is.

Comment

I think Saal did make the best hire that he could make based on the resources he had to work with. Last year, Jans got $2.4 million, Tang got $2.1 million, and Gates got $2.5 million to start their new jobs. I don’t think Saal had that kind of money to work with. It will be interesting to see what Mills is getting paid based on the terrible precedent that Boatwright set with Brown’s contract. Saal has to get the athletic department through the next 3+ years with a $200,000+ monthly debt to pay off.

Dan’s scenario of Abmas transferring to WSU and the core of last years team returning would be the best case. I am for as much continuity as possible. Excluding Scott, WSU could have 8 players return. I doubt that happens, but if it did that leaves 5 openings with hopefully Abmas taking one spot and Myles another. He would need to find a couple forwards to replace Rojas and a point guard and get to work getting to know the players and teaching his system.

I hope WSU can introduce him tomorrow morning and let him get to Hutchinson to scout the juco tournament.

While ORU may not have had a lot of impressive wins, they did win every game that they were supposed to win. Not stubbing your toe against inferior teams goes a long way towards having a good record at the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by wsu789 View Post
        Put me in the camp of moving from underwhelmed to whelmed as I learn more. I hope I eventually become overwhelmed. Also put me in the camp, recalled by Shockercat/Royalshock, who was initially completely disappointed with the Turgeon hire. Lots of us were because of the KU connection. I remember being happy with the GM hire because we had seen him coach his ___ off when we played in the game after him at the 2006 tournament in Greenville. I do remember there were concerns that he couldn't win in the tournament. The villain article certainly helped me see Mills as more GM than IB. I wanted a coach with fire and passion and who will settle for nothing less from his players. I hope Mills is that guy.
        Yes, I remember Tennessee hitting the corner shot to defeat 3Gs Winthrop team. We settled that for 3G and defeated Tennessee in the next round.
        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker82/85 View Post
          I think Saal did make the best hire that he could make based on the resources he had to work with. Last year, Jans got $2.4 million, Tang got $2.1 million, and Gates got $2.5 million to start their new jobs. I don’t think Saal had that kind of money to work with. It will be interesting to see what Mills is getting paid based on the terrible precedent that Boatwright set with Brown’s contract. Saal has to get the athletic department through the next 3+ years with a $200,000+ monthly debt to pay off.

Dan’s scenario of Abmas transferring to WSU and the core of last years team returning would be the best case. I am for as much continuity as possible. Excluding Scott, WSU could have 8 players return. I doubt that happens, but if it did that leaves 5 openings with hopefully Abmas taking one spot and Myles another. He would need to find a couple forwards to replace Rojas and a point guard and get to work getting to know the players and teaching his system.

I hope WSU can introduce him tomorrow morning and let him get to Hutchinson to scout the juco tournament.

While ORU may not have had a lot of impressive wins, they did win every game that they were supposed to win. Not stubbing your toe against inferior teams goes a long way towards having a good record at the end of the year.
          We need the right players to come back. HCPM then needs to hit a home run with a new point guard. Gotta have a serviceable big. But maybe KP comes back. Dang. Lots of variables. Get this press conference over and let's get the ship headed in the right direction STAT! Lots to do. I'll do my best.

Comment

Wikipedia and WSU Coach Paul Mills.jpg

That didn't take long.

Paul Mills (basketball) - Wikipedia

Early life
            'Mills, the son of a pastor in the Houston-area community of Aldine, Texas, grew up in a parsonage attached to the church where his father preached. In a story by Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports during the 2021 NCAA tournament, Mills recalled that his family was one of the few white families in his neighborhood. Although he never grew beyond 5 feet 8 inches (1.73 m), he made the basketball team at Houston's MacArthur High School. In the same Yahoo story, his high school coach Walt Kaser recalled that Mills was the last white player he coached. Kaser also told Thamel that he immediately recognized that Mills would become a coach.[2]

While Mills earned a partial scholarship to NAIA school Southern Wesleyan University, he told Thamel that he could remember suiting up for only one game, in 1990–91. That fall, he dove for a loose ball in practice and suffered a broken vertebra in his lower back when it hit a concrete step. Recalling the accident, Mills told Thamel, "I knew it right away, I couldn’t walk. When the doctor told me I wouldn’t be able to play again, I was in full-fledged tears." To this day, he never sits during a basketball game because of lingering pain from the injury. He would transfer to Texas A&M University to be closer to home.[2]...'

Comment

Hope he stands during every game then... Too avoid the back pain of course..

Comment

I am coming around. He deserves our support until proven otherwise. Go Shocks and good luck HCPM. Let’s get it done.
                Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Originally posted by Topshock View Post

What a bunch of BS that is.
                  Say what now?
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                    Some of y’all are insufferable. The guy is feisty. We’re not going to get the same boring excuses game after game. He won 30 games this year at Oral freaking Roberts. Smile a little and give the man a chance.
                    I think he is a very good coach and recruiter, but didn’t think he was a great fit here because the fans expect someone who can win 25 games tomorrow and he probably won’t be that guy. However with the portal and the NIL who knows?

Comment

• As an alum and avid fan, I’m going to support coach until he gives me a reason not to. Wasn’t my first or second pick but it is what it is. I’m ready for November.

Comment

• From the looks of ORU roster, he seems to hit Houston well, had a few different players from there
                        Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• I am 100 percent behind HCPM. I can hardly wait to see interviews, staff selections, complete roster, first tip off and the new AAC.
                          Side note. I was behind Sampson. Wondering if there were strong rumors that daddy was going to Texas and son is moving up.

Comment

• I've already settled down and am supporting the hire. As long as he recruits well, gets rowdy without slapping any players or students, keeps the program progressing, and puts us into the big dance periodically, I'm going to give him...at least a couple years before throwing another fit.

Comment

• I honestly think Kelvin has maybe one more year in him and he hangs it up…and his family knows that. He seems really worn out and sometimes disheveled during on court interviews to the point I wonder if it is taking a toll on his health.

Comment

• Coach Paul Mills Twitter Account

Paul Mills (@CoachMills) / Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X