No announcement yet.

The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you haven’t figured it out yet, this is a lower level professional sport. I’d imagine a kid with only a few years left knowing he isn’t going NBA is going to get what he can regardless of the coach. I don’t blame them, it’s the system that exists. On the flip side, if you don’t sign them now don’t you think other people going to be in their ears with offers?

Coaches matter but I’d argue with the new way of doing things that free agency at end of each season matters more.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

What happens with these deals if an incoming coach doesn't want the player? Seems kind of premature of armchair strategies to ink a deal with bench player with no coach in place.
      NIL can't be linked to athletic performance but there might be language in these contracts that stipulates the player must remain at the school for the duration of the deal. Part of a player's NIL value is often tied to the school they represent. If the player is run off, they could probably void the deal.

That being said, a lot of coaches honor scholarships from the previous regime for the first season. Eric Konkol at Tulsa did that, even though it resulted in a terrible season.

Comment

• Also that’s why at end of day doesn’t matter who they get in here to replace IB. Obviously it freed up money from some big donors and that’s what matters.

hate it but it’s true.

not saying a good coach doesn’t make difference but money for players in todays environment is top priority.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

NIL can't be linked to athletic performance but there might be language in these contracts that stipulates the player must remain at the school for the duration of the deal. Part of a player's NIL value is often tied to the school they represent. If the player is run off, they could probably void the deal.

That being said, a lot of coaches honor scholarships from the previous regime for the first season. Eric Konkol at Tulsa did that, even though it resulted in a terrible season.
          Typically, coaches tell the players there won't be much playing time and it's up to the player to either get better or leave. I'm just surprised armchair is inking deals with bench players before the coach is named. Now I'm sure this is a small deal so it's probably immaterial.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Typically, coaches tell the players there won't be much playing time and it's up to the player to either get better or leave. I'm just surprised armchair is inking deals with bench players before the coach is named. Now I'm sure this is a small deal so it's probably immaterial.
            I know he was a little rough this season but I think WSU could do worse than having XB occupy one of its final scholarship slots.

Comment

I know he was a little rough this season but I think WSU could do worse than having XB occupy one of its final scholarship slots.
              I have no issue with XB coming back. He can be a nice role player in certain matchups and I think he can ultimately become a solid outside shooter.

Comment

• Maybe I should ask this question in the "sticky" NIL thread. Exactly how are these contributions tax-deductible? Can a business also go directly to an athlete for an endorsement/commercial, or does the business have to work through Armchair Strategies?

Comment

Absolutely could do worse, but the question I would have is, could they do better? I like kids that have a shot at some form of professional hoops ( not necessarily NBA). I don't believe XB is one of those. He appears to be a great kid though. I just hope he is working hard on his education.

Comment

• Temple's Damian Dunn has entered the portal

Tulsa's Nikita Konstantynovskyi has entered the portal
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      Temple's Damian Dunn has entered the portal

Tulsa's Nikita Konstantynovskyi has entered the portal
                      Who?

Comment

XB is a good student and a local kid who improved over the course of the season. Happy for him to come back.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Who?
                          I haven't looked it up, but I think Nikita was the big Ukrainian kid for Tulsa.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• How about offering Taran Armstrong 6'5 PG asap 247 rating of 97.0

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                              How about offering Taran Armstrong 6'5 PG asap 247 rating of 97.0
                              Kind of need a coach for that
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• True. Hope he is still available to pursue in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                                X