The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
    I wonder what Kellen could do with Quincy.
    Maybe a bully or brute?

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
      Hope the new coach can improve Ballard's game. He's a tall rim protector. That's it for now.
      I am sure he could improve as soon as he gets off the stationary bike during practice.

Get him healthy and then see what he can do.
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Absolutely improved and anyone that doesn't think he can/will contribute to a successful program here doesn't understand athletics.
        XB improved when he decided to drive the lane, but during that time, the whole team learned to, or at least started to PASS THE BALL. It's amazing what can happen with ball reversals, passing, screening and movement away from the ball, and attacking the basket with the ball can do to open up passing lanes.

If IB would have started out the year that way, we might have won quite a few more basketball games, and he may still be here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Absolutely could do worse, but the question I would have is, could they do better? I like kids that have a shot at some form of professional hoops ( not necessarily NBA). I don't believe XB is one of those. He appears to be a great kid though. I just hope he is working hard on his education.
          Here is the answer to your statement or question above. Players who sign with Armchair aren't guaranteed a spot on the roster. IF this is a repeat from someone above, i apologize for the repeat.

While signing with the collective demonstrates their preference of remaining in Wichita, it does not necessarily guarantee them a roster spot for the Shockers in the upcoming 2023-24 season. That decision will ultimately come down to the new head coach.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...pdigest_latest

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Here is the answer to your statement or question above. Players who sign with Armchair aren't guaranteed a spot on the roster. IF this is a repeat from someone above, i apologize for the repeat.

While signing with the collective demonstrates their preference of remaining in Wichita, it does not necessarily guarantee them a roster spot for the Shockers in the upcoming 2023-24 season. That decision will ultimately come down to the new head coach.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...pdigest_latest
            No not a repeat. While I don't think xb has an issue being on the roster, it brings to question what would happen with a situation like that. I guess it would depend on the nil contract.

Comment

• No repeat, thx.

Comment

• A Medical Redshirt (that was mentioned as a possibility by the NIL article from Taylor E.) for Ballard might be the best of possible worlds for his development. His length and athleticism (shot blocking capability) is high for a Shocker player, and puts that portion of his game in a category with guys like Jamie E., and Orupke. But he does need development and work so that his footwork, etc. (especially on offense) is improved. A 5 year career (with 3 additional years) might be exactly what he needs so that he can develop over the Summer, and play against high talent. I just hope the new coach can bring back Walton, and Pohto, plus, a ready made Point Guard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

No not a repeat. While I don't think xb has an issue being on the roster, it brings to question what would happen with a situation like that. I guess it would depend on the nil contract.
                  I'm concerned a new coach would be pressured to keep a player already under NIL deal. Then if he chooses to "bring his own luggage" like coach prime, it's a bad look. I just don't see the logic in giving bench players NIL deals at this critical juncture absent a coach. Let them walk if they choose. Now this doesn't apply to the top players who any new coach would want to keep.

Comment

I'm concerned a new coach would be pressured to keep a player already under NIL deal. Then if he chooses to "bring his own luggage" like coach prime, it's a bad look. I just don't see the logic in giving bench players NIL deals at this critical juncture absent a coach. Let them walk if they choose. Now this doesn't apply to the top players who any new coach would want to keep.
                    Both of those recently mentioned have already used up transfers so the risk isn't really there. Plus, there are already holes to fill if they want to bring people along. I don't think there's much risk involved and no coach is going to be pressured into anything. I don't think a coach is going to show up and run Rogers or Ballard off anyway. A shooter and an athletic big. Those are guys you generally try and keep around and can find roles for.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Both of those recently mentioned have already used up transfers so the risk isn't really there. Plus, there are already holes to fill if they want to bring people along. I don't think there's much risk involved and no coach is going to be pressured into anything. I don't think a coach is going to show up and run Rogers or Ballard off anyway. A shooter and an athletic big. Those are guys you generally try and keep around and can find roles for.
                      I'm not saying they can't be valuable role players but if they're sitting here with transfer restrictions and not a flight risk, then why give them NIL deals at this very moment?

Comment

I'm not saying they can't be valuable role players but if they're sitting here with transfer restrictions and not a flight risk, then why give them NIL deals at this very moment?
                        Why not? It's also a very public display of NIL and that WSU is able to play the game. These are the guys who will talk to any potential transfer who steps foot on campus and having the ability to talk about NIL doesn't hurt.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Why not? It's also a very public display of NIL and that WSU is able to play the game. These are the guys who will talk to any potential transfer who steps foot on campus and having the ability to talk about NIL doesn't hurt.
                          We have limited resources (donations may be up but we'll never be swimming in cash) with no coach. Bench players with restrictions aren't going anywhere at this moment. Potential transfers are not in the picture without a coach. I'm all for handing out NIL deals once a coach has time to evaluate. Again this doesn't apply to the top players. Looks like I'm on an island here. That's okay I like to think for myself.

Comment

• Tulsa's Sterling Gaston-Chapman is in the portal
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

We have limited resources (donations may be up but we'll never be swimming in cash) with no coach. Bench players with restrictions aren't going anywhere at this moment. Potential transfers are not in the picture without a coach. I'm all for handing out NIL deals once a coach has time to evaluate. Again this doesn't apply to the top players. Looks like I'm on an island here. That's okay I like to think for myself.
                              You have company on that island....me.

Comment

Tulsa's Sterling Gaston-Chapman is in the portal
                                Konkol tried one year with Haith's players and now he's cleaning house. He has already brought in two of Louisiana Tech's top three scorers this offseason. TU is going to look much different next season.

Comment

Working...
                                X