The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

If money is the only thing we can offer to land recruits, then we are in a self fulfilling downward spiral. Gotta win to get more money, can't win without getting recruits .. which means less money and less recruits.

Staff has to find a way to land proven players at some point.
    I'm not totally buying it. There are a few looking for big bucks but the majority are going to get 12-50k, and at that level they will be looking more at PT and development.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

I looked and I don't see there recruiting being all that high-end since he was hired. I see some three star kids but nobody ranked better than about 170 nationally. They have gotten some decent transfers but again not sure I would qualify them as high-end. What they have done is build a team and a culture attitude. It's not free flowing and dogs being dogs.
      Donavan Dent was rated a 4* (116 nationally) by 247. That would be better than any WSU recruit since Etienne/Sherfield even if the composite rating is lower for Dent. I was more referring to transfers anyway (Udeze, Amzil, House, Mashburn). Quality players that had P6 suitors when they committed to UNM.

My primary point is that WSU hasn't blown anyone away in recruiting for some time.

Comment

• I guess its "good news" Max didn't commit while at UT or directly afterwards.

Maybe he's going to give WSU a fair shake.
        The Assman

Comment

• Lot's of people on here who have in the past, felt like they knew a lot of information on what is going on, and predictions have often shown that we don't really know what is going on. Often these sports pages (247, etc.) put their own predictions (without calling it a prediction), and leave off names like WSU because we don't have the cache that they think matters.

Comment

• I thought when he said that "we are gonna get guys that wanna be here" , it sounded like trouble.

Comment

I'm guessing the good news isn't the good news many of us were hoping. This guy has been pretty spot on all portal season.
              Is this because of known information, or is it like when Marshall was a potential candidate and would leave "BeCaUsE iT's TeXaS!!!"???

(Posted the same thing on the Max thread in recruiting, but seemend like a relevant discussion here too)
              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

Donavan Dent was rated a 4* (116 nationally) by 247. That would be better than any WSU recruit since Etienne/Sherfield even if the composite rating is lower for Dent. I was more referring to transfers anyway (Udeze, Amzil, House, Mashburn). Quality players that had P6 suitors when they committed to UNM.

My primary point is that WSU hasn't blown anyone away in recruiting for some time.
                Point taken. I was looking at his composite ranking at 173. If you also look at the other schools who offered him it's not really a who's who of college basketball. Cal Baptist, Long Beach, Montana State, UCSB.

Pohto, Ricks, and Abidde were all similar in rating to Dent.

Comment

• I will say it agin, relax everyone. Abmas was not really a realistic target in my opinion and I don't think WSU necessarily needs him. Would it have been nice, sure, but not gonna make or break things. I don't begrudge him at all if he decides to chase the bag and a more immediate opportunity to chase a final four / natty. He was loyal to HCPM and Oral Roberts and this is his chance to cash in and get some real exposure. Good for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
                    There are a billion people in the portal. With more entering daily. Not to mention the JUCO kids.

We can be just fine without Abmas. And he has 1 last year to try and convince scouts. No doubt he feels he can do that easier at one of two Elite 8 teams from this past year who could definitely use his services. Plus being in the Big 12. It's not that hard to see why he would choose one of those 2 schools, regardless of coach Mills. Less risky for him right now.
                    I still make the argument that it is riskier.

Originally posted by Topshock View Post
                    Playing in a new system, playing against vastly superior athletes in the Big 12 than the Summit will mean his numbers will go down. That could very well hurt his NBA stock.

Playing in his system and in the AAC is more likely to result in better numbers than the Big
                    12, while still playing against better competition that the Summit. Possibly the better choice for NBA future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Is this because of known information, or is it like when Marshall was a potential candidate and would leave "BeCaUsE iT's TeXaS!!!"???

(Posted the same thing on the Max thread in recruiting, but seemend like a relevant discussion here too)
                      Not 100% sure your question, but I was just saying that guy has been pretty spot on with information on a ton of portal transfers including a surprise here and there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

I still make the argument that it is riskier.
                        Agreed, he will be hard to find a better place that he can step into and immediately be connected and get all the PT he wants.

Comment

Not 100% sure your question, but I was just saying that guy has been pretty spot on with information on a ton of portal transfers including a surprise here and there.
                          Not questioning you.

Questioning if Trilly is going off concrete information, or just saying he'd be surprised if lowly-WSU would win out against mighty-UT?
                          The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Not questioning you.

Questioning if Trilly is going off concrete information, or just saying he'd be surprised if lowly-WSU would win out against mighty-UT?
                            No idea .. but just looking at this track record .. he has some inside contacts.

Comment

• Looks like we are getting an official visit!!!!! ... from a player already signed lol

Comment

Looks like we are getting an official visit!!!!! ... from a player already signed lol

I wonder if Abmas will visit at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                                X