The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
    We were never really competing against Texas and KU for recruits before. It’s fine. We were not ever getting Abmas. As a lot of us said from the start. It doesn’t make any sense for him to come to a rebuild.
    Didn't make sense for him to stick with ORU either than.

Why not bolt when Obanor did? Why is it all about the $$$ now after two great chances to transfer before?
    The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
      We were never really competing against Texas and KU for recruits before. It’s fine. We were not ever getting Abmas. As a lot of us said from the start. It doesn’t make any sense for him to come to a rebuild.
      Eh . it makes a heck of a lot more sense than you are trying to say. Going to a new coach, new system for your final year as opposed to moving up in competition (to WSU), while being familiar with the coach and system so you can be effective day one is a big deal too.

Also we aren't competing against KU .. but KSU .. when can and SHOULD be competing with KSU for recruits.

Comment

• Ah come on folks, don’t give up yet, it ain’t over until the fat lady sings!
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• I get the importance if NIL. If a kid is making a decision strictly based on who offers the most, we don't want that person anyway.

I'm not the biggest fan of one year players either, especially if you're wanting to pay them a ton in NIL to do so. If Armchair and the likes are paying players, I'd prefer we get more than a year out of them, unless it's only one year because they're a lottery pick or something.

Landing Abmas was always a long-shot. It's always made sense for him to go to a team that is going to generate him the most exposure and give him a chance at playing meaningful games in March.

I have no problem with NIL as long as the player actually wants to be here and the money is just more of a bonus than the sole reason he is here. Anyone here for just the money isn't going to be worth it.

I still support rewarding players in all sports for their time and services through NIL and whatnot.

We need another PG. We don't need Abmas. We'd gladly take him if he wants to be here, but we shouldn't break the bank for a year of his services just to try and out bid KSU or Texas.

Also, there's zero reason we can't compete for recruits with KSU.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• New Mexico has been attracting high-end recruits under Pitino Jr. Why can't WSU do the same?

Comment

• I think we’re gonna see a big slowdown in the 2nd time transfers. Nabbing bench players from the P5 is a good way to build a roster that we can develop.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                Updated with Meeks and Grill off the table.

Targets.jpg
                Besides Abmas, Matthew Cleveland is the only player on this list that would move the needle for me. A Kenny Pohto return would move the needle as well, albeit to a lesser extent than Cleveland.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                  New Mexico has been attracting high-end recruits under Pitino Jr. Why can't WSU do the same?
                  He has the Pitino name. Mills doesn't.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Cincy transfer PF Jarrett Hensley from Mission Ks in portal worth a call/look I believe - also Oosterbroek a PF from U. Miami

Comment

Besides Abmas, Matthew Cleveland is the only player on this list that would move the needle for me. A Kenny Pohto return would move the needle as well, albeit to a lesser extent than Cleveland.
                      Landing Cleveland has always seemed more improbable than landing Abmas, even with him visiting KSU and UT.

Comment

This is not a comprehensive list. Trust me when I tell you there are plenty of guys that could move the needle that the staff is likely in contact with.

Comment

New Mexico has been attracting high-end recruits under Pitino Jr. Why can't WSU do the same?
                          I looked and I don't see there recruiting being all that high-end since he was hired. I see some three star kids but nobody ranked better than about 170 nationally. They have gotten some decent transfers but again not sure I would qualify them as high-end. What they have done is build a team and a culture attitude. It's not free flowing and dogs being dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Eh . it makes a heck of a lot more sense than you are trying to say. Going to a new coach, new system for your final year as opposed to moving up in competition (to WSU), while being familiar with the coach and system so you can be effective day one is a big deal too.

Also we aren't competing against KU .. but KSU .. when can and SHOULD be competing with KSU for recruits.
                            In general, sure. Not for a one-year guy looking to make a splash.

Rebuild vs. Elite 8 team. That’s the difference. Not a program difference imo.

Comment

• There are a billion people in the portal. With more entering daily. Not to mention the JUCO kids.

We can be just fine without Abmas. And he has 1 last year to try and convince scouts. No doubt he feels he can do that easier at one of two Elite 8 teams from this past year who could definitely use his services. Plus being in the Big 12. It's not that hard to see why he would choose one of those 2 schools, regardless of coach Mills. Less risky for him right now.
                              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

This is not a comprehensive list. Trust me when I tell you there are plenty of guys that could move the needle that the staff is likely in contact with.
                                I get that the list isn't comprehensive, but it's odd to me that most kids provide updates on their recruitment regularly and these are the only names that have been linked to WSU.

Comment

Working...
                                X