The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Thanks. I thought I read the document fairly well, but it comes out hard to read on my screen.

Went back and looked again. Pretty easy to see it They closed a loophole, but not in a good way. A player whose scholarship is not renewed should be able to play without sitting out a year. Maybe the extra year will give them time to develop their game? It sure worked for Reaves.
    From the student perspective, it sure feels like they are closing the loopholes on the wrong things.

A player that needs to transfer for family, mental or health reasons probably SHOULD take a year off to take care of those.

A player whose coach bolts or whose scholarship is pulled probably should get a waiver.

Comment

• There will be a lot of kids using the “physical or mental health” excuse. Funny though how Teddy Allen actually had that excuse and was denied.

Comment

• Any school with a law program has a MASSIVE advantage in getting kids playable.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          Any school with a law program has a MASSIVE advantage in getting kids playable.
          ….in theory

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

….in theory
            I'm sure there are counter examples of kids at universities with major law schools that didn't get to play for their school immediately, but I bet they are few and far between.

Comment

• Every athlete gets a free transfer. If they made a poor choice in terms of their ability, role on the team, etc., then they have a chance to rectify that and go to a program more in line with their abilities. If they make a 2nd poor choice, well, lesson learned.

Comment

• Comment

Any school with a law program has a MASSIVE advantage in getting kids playable.
                  I don't see how. The college's law school won't opine about things like this; this is why schools generally employ their own legal counsel.
                  The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• I really hope that Kenny Pohto and Jaykwon Walton are willing to at least have a conversation with Coach Mills. That is assuming Coach Mills is interested in them and I would think he would be.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      I really hope that Kenny Pohto and Jaykwon Walton are willing to at least have a conversation with Coach Mills. That is assuming Coach Mills is interested in them and I would think he would be.
                      Someone needs to ask that question at the press conference today.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

I don't see how. The college's law school won't opine about things like this; this is why schools generally employ their own legal counsel.
                        Where are "their own legal counsel" coming from? And how many does the university get?

Comment

Where are "their own legal counsel" coming from? And how many does the university get?
                          Uh, law firms in their city/area/region. They employ whoever they want to.

Having a law school is fine but I still don't see how having a bunch of kids who haven't passed the bar could really help a university-type entity in terms of legal defense. Professors are still no better (and likely worse) than practicing lawyers. More to do with resources than having a law school.
                          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Joseph Yesufu back in the portal.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                              Joseph Yesufu back in the portal.

Not terribly shocked. I was honestly surprised he transferred to KU and stuck it out as long as he did.
                              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                                Joseph Yesufu back in the portal.

I haven't watched much of him since our game with Drake two years ago. When he entered the portal then I thought he'd be a good addition. I don't know if he'd be a capable starting PG for us or not. Even his SO year with the Bulldogs, he averaged less than 2 assists/gm.

Comment

Working...
                                X