No announcement yet.

2023 AfterShocks and TBT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm hoping the current roster got to see something and learn something this evening.

I think this was a more remarkable comeback than the game at MSU in the undefeated season.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      I'm hoping the current roster got to see something and learn something this evening.
      Hopefully it was how to beat Memphis. For real though, I agree. Even with all mistakes, the team didn't fold.

Comment

• Just got back from the TBT. I half swore I'd never go back to this, but really, really good seats being offered as they were, and, yeah, I'll go. Our seats were amazing, and the crowd was beyond rocking loud. We had an amazing time. The ears are still ringing.

Not going to over analyze the game play, which was mixed, and the officiating, which was just, I don't know, strange. (?)

Memphis team really threw the game away I thought. First 2 minutes of the 4th quarter and they were playing just to get to the 4 minute mark and the elam ending. At least it seemed that way. They should have scored 80, like fairly easily. Felt like Memphis really sped up the Shocks through 3 quarters which was not a flattering look for the team in yellow. 4th quarter, all about defense and the crowd, which was problematic for both teams and coaches. I don't know how many times a Shocker player was looking at the coaches and saying "huh?" and just ended up waving each other off because neither could hear. Jeremiah Martin for Beale was a stud.

Comment

• BTW, what was the scored heading into the Elam ending?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            BTW, what was the scored heading into the Elam ending?
            64-60 Memphis
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• One comment on reffing .. i'm not going to comment on individual calls .. but the fact that they didn't seem to know the rules was not a good look. First was the Martin injury. They just let a random Memphis player take a free throw until the WSU bench got them to realize it wasn't the right shooter and they get to pick it since Martin couldnt' shoot it (that saved 2 points right there). Second was the first WSU foul in the Elam. One ref was trying to give Memphis 1 and the ball but WSU wasn't in the bonus yet. Another ref had to stop him and correct him.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                BTW, what was the scored heading into the Elam ending?
                I have to do math to answer this. Shox were down 4 going into the ending. They beat the target score by a point. Final score was 73-69, so the target score was 72. That would make it 64(Memphis) - 60 (WSU) going into elam.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I have to do math to answer this. Shox were down 4 going into the ending. They beat the target score by a point. Final score was 73-69, so the target score was 72. That would make it 64(Memphis) - 60 (WSU) going into elam.
                  Thanks. So the AfterShocks were down by 14 at the end of the 3rd quarter at 48-62. Outscored Memphis 12-2 to make it 60-64 heading into the Elam and finished of the game out scoring Memphis 13-5. So a 25-7 final quarter for the AfterShocks. Nice.

The AfterShocks really had no choice but to find a way to pull this game out of the fire with the Final 4 team in the house and the dedication of the new Fred Van Vleet performance center.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 21, 2023, 11:34 PM.

Comment

• The link below is some kewl Shocker memories of 2016.

Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
                      Probably unpopular opinion, but I wonder if the TBT has sailed past Zach Bush’s capabilities. Nothing against him. Just wonder if perhaps Clevin wouldn’t be a better option moving forward, with his overseas experience.
                      I’ve thought the same thing for awhile. Maybe Garrett could be HC since he occasionally takes charge and draws up plays.

Hell, as long as he isn’t an NCAA coach (that might or might not matter), maybe Greg Heiar could come back to coach the team. He was sitting behind the bench in the second half, clearly offering suggestions the huddle. Say what you want about his personality, but the man knows ball.
                      78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                        Have a feeling as fewer WSU players are on the team, interest in TBT will decline. The pipeline is drying up.
                        Slight disagreement. On Paul’s podcast, Zach mentioned that he knows that this team has to primarily be former WSU players since that’s who people here want to see. The ringers are brought in to help push the team over the top because having a team solely of WSU players probably won’t be good enough to win it all.

Also, I disagree that the pipeline is drying up. Taylor wrote a story about the 2019-20 team having like 10 or 11 guys who are trying to play pro. Granted, one of them better stay TF away. But there could be others who could eventually play. And we just don’t know yet who in the future could be a suitable option. Maybe Jacob Germany (for example) will turn into a fan favorite, be a stud, and become an option down the line. Maybe he will, maybe he won’t. But my point is that we just don’t know that yet.
                        78-65

Comment

Unbelievable. I thought I was watching my last game of the summer at the end of the 3rd quarter.
                          I thought I was watching a bunch of guys playing with hangovers after partying with the final 4 guys to late.

Comment

• Has anyone found a boxscore?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                              One comment on reffing .. i'm not going to comment on individual calls .. but the fact that they didn't seem to know the rules was not a good look. First was the Martin injury. They just let a random Memphis player take a free throw until the WSU bench got them to realize it wasn't the right shooter and they get to pick it since Martin couldnt' shoot it (that saved 2 points right there). Second was the first WSU foul in the Elam. One ref was trying to give Memphis 1 and the ball but WSU wasn't in the bonus yet. Another ref had to stop him and correct him.
                              The crew last night was not ready for the pace of play and were over matched all night long. The calls may have been even but they were poor both ways. I was impressed by several things last night. The crowd needs to be at all future Shocker games they were loud and rowdy, The Final Four guys were exhorting the TBT players to keep fighting. The crowd never gave up with few leaving at the seeming debacle we were watching. The Band was tremendous. Seeing the Final Four team on the floor at half time was great but the ribbon cutting for the Fred VanVleet weight room with his wife and kiddos was worth the price of admission. All kids are cute but Fred has a couple of the cutest. I'm glad I was there. If there was one lesson to be taught last night to the soon to be Shocker team is Never give up and play hard and Shocker Nation will be loud and raucous to spur you on. Go Shocks

Comment

• Originally posted by atlwsu View Post
                                Has anyone found a boxscore?

Comment

Working...
                                X