Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Richey might be a great coach, but MY OPINION is that his style would not play well at a higher level. Nothing against him personally and even though 76'er is a dumba$$ it has nothing to do with him. Just don't care for his style and would rather have someone else who brings a different style to the table. His is too vanilla and predictable.
    Okay, whose style would you prefer? Any particular coach that is available and someone we could get?
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

Good post, Kel, and I tend to agree with the exception of Spradlin, which I really don't understand.
      Oh yeah, I’m excluding Spradlin and didn’t mention him. He might be a good coach, but that’s not been fleshed out at all. I would pass on him in favor of other candidates.

Comment

• I'll also say that guys like Richey and DeVries may have a higher floor than Sampson, but Kellen has a much higher ceiling. He's well connected and has been groomed to lead a program by one of the best in the business. He's got energy and something to prove.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• It makes Rodney Terry more and more difficult for Texas not to hire the farther they go in the tournament.

Comment

• Which of these head coaches can utilize the additional resources that WSU can provide them compared to their current job and make the most out of it? I think about all of these coaches have shown the ability to out perform their peers in their current conferences. Who does Saal think can sell themselves to recruits the best? I think based on their win-loss records that they have shown that they have the x and o ability, but which one, can get the best players? Even though 3 seasons has passed, this coach also needs to be able to inspire the fan base as Marshall did.

Evaluating Sampson is much different. Does he have the personality to be the man in charge from day 1? Can he apply and adapt the Houston culture to WSU? Does WSU have the resources that he has become accustomed to at Houston? Who would he be able to attract to his staff?

Saal is the only one who is going to get to sit down with each of these candidates and evaluate who he thinks can do the best job at WSU. Good luck to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              I'll also say that guys like Richey and DeVries may have a higher floor than Sampson, but Kellen has a much higher ceiling. He's well connected and has been groomed to lead a program by one of the best in the business. He's got energy and something to prove.
              This is why I am leaning towards snagging Kellen Sampson for our job. Higher risk, but potentially higher reward. If he leaves after 3-5 years to take "better" job, it means that he kicked ass in his time at Wichita.
              78-65

Comment

I'll also say that guys like Richey and DeVries may have a higher floor than Sampson, but Kellen has a much higher ceiling. He's well connected and has been groomed to lead a program by one of the best in the business. He's got energy and something to prove.
                And I get that. It’s still a risk at some level though.

I do love the way he carries himself and he seems to get the public aspect.

I just prefer a more proven commodity at this point. That said, if he wins, I don’t care.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

So the Spradlin fears can be put to rest. He did use possible interest to get a raise.
                  Might want to check the date on that article. It's a year old.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I say high ceiling over high floor any day of the week, which makes me particularly interested in Kellen Sampson. Getting back to the NCAAT consistently should be the starting point; the end goal should be assembling F4-caliber teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                      It makes Rodney Terry more and more difficult for Texas not to hire the farther they go in the tournament.
                      If Texas does not hire Terry, it does two things:

1. Starts a pretty big chain of dominoes in motion. Texas won't be targeting the same coaches we are; it'll be targeting some P5 coaches who already have some success. But then that opens up a position at one of those schools.

2. It puts Terry into the pool of candidate coaches who are out there. Maybe not for us, but for somebody.

That all said, Texas can afford to sign Terry and then fire him after a season or two if he doesn't pan out. Contract buyouts probably aren't too big a deal to UT.
                      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• One of my concerns with Sampson is potentially going head-to-head with his dad for recruits and fishing in the same recruiting pond. Would he do what it takes to win a recruiting battle with pops? Or would it somehow be beneficial?

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
                          One of my concerns with Sampson is potentially going head-to-head with his dad for recruits and fishing in the same recruiting pond. Would he do what it takes to win a recruiting battle with pops? Or would it somehow be beneficial?
                          I thought about this and think it's a valid concern, but there are plenty of recruits available and Houston is starting to attract high-end 4 stars and even some 5 star guys. WSU could do well recruiting the same type of player in the high 3 star to low 4 star range without going head-to-head with Houston on every recruit.

Plus, it sounds like Kellen is wired to win so I don't think there would be any hard feelings competing against his old man.

Comment

• Pretty sure Kellen would do everything he could to win a recruit over pops. I don't think that would be something worth concerning oneself over.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• A big factor will be the portal. Looking at the head coaches, here is how they've navigated the portal over the last few years:

Darian DeVries (Drake)

• In: Sardaar Calhoun (Texas Tech 3*)
                              • Out: Joseph Yesufu (to Kansas), Connor Gholson (not picked up)

• In: ShanQuan Hemphill (Green Bay), Darnell Brodie (Seton Hall)
                              • Out: Samm Jones (to Davenport University), Liam Robbins (to Minnesota, decent contributor)

Bob Richey (Furman)

• In: Carter Whitt (Wake Forest 3*)
                              • Out: None

• In: N/A
                              • Out: Noah Gurley (to Alabama)

Pat Kelsey (Charleston)

• In: Ira Lee (4* George Washington)
                              • Out: Brenden Tucker (3* to Georgia State)

• In: John Meeks (Bucknell)
                              • Out: Brevin Galloway (to Boston College), Payton Willis (3* to Minnesota), Zep Jasper (to Auburn)
                              Grant MacCasland (North Texas)

• In: Moulaye Sissoko (3* from Dayton), Tyree Eady (3* from North Dakota State), Jayden Martinez (New Hampshire)
                              • Out: Mardez McBride (3* to Georgia)

• In: Hameir Wright (4* from Washington)
                              • Out: Terence Lewis II (to Jackson State), James Reese (to South Carolina)
                              Joe Pasternack (UC Santa Barbara)

• In: N/A
                              • Out: N/A
                              • In: Zach Harvey (4* from Cincinnati)
                              • Out: N/A
                              Dusty May (FAU)

• In: Jalen Gaffney (3* from UCONN)
                              • Out: Dardan Kapiti (3* to Eastern Kentucky)
                              • In: Bitumba Baruti (from East Carolina)
                              • Out: Jailyn Ingram (3* to Georgia), Kenan Blackshear (3* to Nevada)

Comment

• CBB Fan:

If you read my earlier post therein lies my concern. They will have to show a completely new part of their recruiting skill to be successful quickly which is what fans will demand.

Thanks for the research too.

Comment

Working...
                                X