Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

I have nothing against coaches from a lower level as long as their demeanor and x's and o's style is a fit, or what I think is a fit. I like Kelsey a lot. I like Pasternack at UCSB. Not sold on Richey, Devries, or Spradlin. I think Sampson would be an excellent choice based on what I have seen. The lack of HC experience does give me pause, but you can't argue that he hasn't been a part of a successful program and seen how it is done.
    I think IB has soured us on people without head coaching experience. I don't see Sampson as the emotionless, impassioned person that was IB.

Comment

• I mean, worst kept secret anyway. But let's see who Providence targets.

"He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Furman’s predictive metrics are much higher on average in the Bob Richey era than Winthrop’s were in the Gregg Marshall era. To dismiss him as a candidate is insane, and the same goes for DeVries.

”I want a candidate who is a proven head coach.”

”Here’s Richey and DeVries.”

”Not good enough. I watched a game or two and I don’t like a poster on this board. Pass.”

If you had watched Winthrop’s teams from 05-07 with the context you have now, you would have thought the same things.

I’m not sure what would make some of this board happy, but it seems to be a coach who either doesn’t exist or that we cannot get.

Richey appears to be a great candidate, DeVries to a slightly lesser extent. Dusty May would be higher than those two, but I’m guessing he’ll get a bigger job. Same with McCasland.

AND you’d rather hire Sampson. Look, he could be good, but to prefer hiring him over coaches mentioned above given their resumes is crazy.
        Last edited by Kel Varnsen; March 20, 2023, 12:44 PM.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
          Dusty May would be higher than those two, but I’m guessing he’ll get a bigger job. Same with McCasland.
          Ideally Dusty May and Grant McCasland don't go anywhere if they aren't coming to WSU. Both of those coaches will make the new AAC a strong basketball conference. The same goes for Andy Kennedy at UAB.

Comment

• If Mike Brey is going to USF, it tells me that he wants to go to a spot with little pressure and fantastic weather...which, being his age (64 on Wednesday), would be completely understandable.
            78-65

Comment

• In my biased opinion. In 5 years Jans is going to think: why did I not jump at the chance I had to go to Wichita State and get out of here.

Comment

Furman’s predictive metrics are much higher on average in the Bob Richey era than Winthrop’s were in the Gregg Marshall era. To dismiss him as a candidate is insane, and the same goes for DeVries.

”Not good enough. I watched a game or two and I don’t like a poster on this board. Pass.”

If you had watched Winthrop’s teams from 05-07 with the context you have now, you would have thought the same things.

I’m not sure what would make some of this board happy, but it seems to be a coach who either doesn’t exist or that we cannot get.

Richey appears to be a great candidate, DeVries to a slightly lesser extent. Dusty May would be higher than those two, but I’m guessing he’ll get a bigger job. Same with McCasland.

AND you’d rather hire Sampson. Look, he could be good, but to prefer hiring him over coaches mentioned above given their resumes is crazy.
                Also I agree 110% with everything in this post!!!

Comment

• Somewhere I have heard Jai Lucas’ name brought up and I don’t even recall if it was for this job. He and Kellen Sampson are exactly the type of assistant coach worth taking a risk on because they are such dynamic recruiters and so connected. Exactly what is needed in this environment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
                    In my biased opinion. In 5 years Jans is going to think: why did I not jump at the chance I had to go to Wichita State and get out of here.
                    Let's say it was strictly his buyout that prevented it. Then I don't think he will blame himself, unless its because he accepted too big of a buyout lol
                    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Hires that would excite me: Chris Jans, Pat Kelsey, Adrian Griffin, Grant McCasland, Kellen Sampson, Joe Pasternack, Dusty May

Hires that would intrigue me: Amir Abdur-Rahim, Rick Pitino, LeVelle Moton

Hires that I would find kind of eh: Darian DeVries, Preston Spradlin

God, please no: Paul Mills, Bob Richey, Ben McCollum

I think that covers most of the names that have been thrown out recently. Though I never seen anyone outside of ShockerNet mention Pasternack. The guy is a winner and his teams get after it.

If I've forgotten someone or another name pops up I have the right to amend the lists.
                      Last edited by SubGod22; March 20, 2023, 02:52 PM.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Here's a list of all the jobs that are open right now:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...hanges-2023-24

Of that list, the ones that are still open that are either clearly better than WSU or an argument could be made are better are:

Cal
                        Georgetown
                        Notre Dame
                        Texas
                        Texas Tech

We can probably add Providence to the list of openings, but the only thing better about them than WSU is their conference.

Sounds like we can also take off Georgetown, and I'm guessing maybe we can take off Texas if they wind up naming Terry as the guy.

Which leaves Notre Dame, Texas Tech, and Cal as teams that are or may be more desirable than WSU.
                        The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Furman’s predictive metrics are much higher on average in the Bob Richey era than Winthrop’s were in the Gregg Marshall era. To dismiss him as a candidate is insane, and the same goes for DeVries.

All good analysis. My only concern with Richey and DeVries is will portal transfers mesh with their systems. They rely heavily on the 3-4-5 year players and have been very good at retaining them. So people will have to be ultra patient (not) or those coaches will have to show something they haven’t before.

Comment

Richey might be a great coach, but MY OPINION is that his style would not play well at a higher level. Nothing against him personally and even though 76'er is a dumba$$ it has nothing to do with him. Just don't care for his style and would rather have someone else who brings a different style to the table. His is too vanilla and predictable.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

All good analysis. My only concern with Richey and DeVries is will portal transfers mesh with their systems. They rely heavily on the 3-4-5 year players and have been very good at retaining them. So people will have to be ultra patient (not) or those coaches will have to show something they haven’t before.
                              And honestly, that’s a worthy concern.

My thought is that coaches like this will be able to land, retain, and attract players with a decent amount of NIL money. They’ve clearly done it without that.

Fun conversation. Challenging opinions are good, so long as they are grounded.
                              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Good post, Kel, and I tend to agree with the exception of Spradlin, which I really don't understand.

Comment

Working...
                                X