Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow there are some Drake fans on Twitter who really think moving from Drake to Wichita State is a lateral move. Like multiple people.

I didn’t even know Drake had fans!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

What are your theories as to why 2/3 of our current top candidates are some of the cheapest options available?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
        Wow there are some Drake fans on Twitter who really think moving from Drake to Wichita State is a lateral move. Like multiple people.

Yeah, on their message board also.

They mainly attribute it to them feeling like we will be a new version of the SWAC because of "all the good teams" we are losing and only replacing them with "a bunch of directional teams from Texas".

Ignorant at best.
        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Has Saal reached out to good 'old Barry LMAO

We won't win many games. But we will get some GREAT press conferences.....
          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
            Wow there are some Drake fans on Twitter who really think moving from Drake to Wichita State is a lateral move. Like multiple people.

They are saying that cause they don't want to lose a good thing.............their coach

Comment

• If nothing else....Spradlin likes to have some fun lol

Comment

• For anyone who is hating DeVries, why? I think he ends up at ND but I think he’d be perfect here. Look at their starting 5 this year.

Roman Penn - No College offers
                Tucker Devries (130th ranked player in the country), Garret Sturtz was a walk on
                Darnell Brody was a two star recruit
                DJ Wilkins was a unranked transfer for Southwestern State College.

and he had Yesufu whose at KU now who was a star at Drake that was an unranked prospect as well. That sounds pretty damn similar to some of our better teams. I think his recruiting is just fine to be at WSU because recruiting is more about finding talent regardless of the star rankings. Remember when we started star chasing when we got to the AAC? That sure worked really well for us. That’s partly what assistant coaches are for, to bolster the recruiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post

That’s part of my point though. The money was behind getting rid of IB but now we are looking at a couple cheap options in Sampson (making $300k) and Spradlin ($180k). You’d think if the money was behind getting rid of IB they’d be behind throwing some real money at a top-tier candidate. I guess it’s possible the money gave Saal an ultimatum and said replace IB or we’re done forever without offering up a ton of cash to support the move but I hope they realize the damage that could do to the program long-term if the cheap replacement flames out. But if money is a problem then we wouldn’t have even needed the money to get rid of IB next year.

Sounds like you may know who and how much we are going to offer for the job.
                  please share.

Comment

• Imagine what DD might do if we could retain JW and KP. Starting lineup KP at C, JW at stretch 4, his son at SF, JP and Rogers at SG, with a player to be named later at PG. Of course we would have to keep JW and KP. JP would be great also. I think DD would teach them how to dance quickly. Would just need a good defensive PG who can take care of the ball and handle the press.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Sounds like you may know who and how much we are going to offer for the job.
                      please share.
                      I was obviously using Taylor’s latest update, pay attention.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan_realist View Post
                        For anyone who is hating DeVries, why? I think he ends up at ND but I think he’d be perfect here. Look at their starting 5 this year.

Roman Penn - No College offers
                        Tucker Devries (130th ranked player in the country), Garret Sturtz was a walk on
                        Darnell Brody was a two star recruit
                        DJ Wilkins was a unranked transfer for Southwestern State College.

and he had Yesufu whose at KU now who was a star at Drake that was an unranked prospect as well. That sounds pretty damn similar to some of our better teams. I think his recruiting is just fine to be at WSU because recruiting is more about finding talent regardless of the star rankings. Remember when we started star chasing when we got to the AAC? That sure worked really well for us. That’s partly what assistant coaches are for, to bolster the recruiting.
                        I think some of us (myself included) get wrapped up too much in pedigree, name.....etc. We also get too wrapped up in the past and want exactly what we had right around 2013 or so (not just that year, but you get what I am getting at). When honestly, that isn't likely to happen again soon. Can it happen? Yes. Do I want it to happen? Yes. Is it likely? No.

It's kind of like finding the next VanVleet. They don't just walk in the door every day.

I just hope whoever we get, and no matter how excited OR disappointed we are.....we give that person a chance. You just never know. Part of what makes this job so great, and Wichita so special is the fans. No doubt we can make any coaches job a lot easier by at least showing support out of the gate. We can always re-evaluate that support as time goes on and based on results on the court. But until we have those results I hope we just get behind whoever it ends up being and just embrace the change we all wanted. Even if it may not be exactly who we wanted.
                        Last edited by shockerfan; March 19, 2023, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post

I think that we’d feel better about him given that he KNOWS and has helped dominate the AAC. It’s reassuring really. Whereas DeVries has not.

Like I said before, if they compare Sampson to tang and Lloyd, sign me up
                          Yup I think he's out best option, to me, he checks all the boxes except HC experience. I rather hope for something great then hire someone who would be average here like DeVries
                          Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post

I was obviously using Taylor’s latest update, pay attention.
                            So your saying you don't know, because Taylor doesn't know those answers.
                            I'm guessing only the folks with the big bucks know much aside from KS. All of our info is just speculation.

Comment

• If it's between DeVries and Sampson, I'd prefer DeVries. He's a proven head coach. You don't just win 20+ games every year in your head coaching career as a fluke. He's doing something right. He's proven he can do it. Where WSU is right now as a program, we need a proven head coach who can come in and win right now. There is no way to know what kind of head coach Sampson would be because he's never been one. It could take him years to figure it out.

I don't like the idea of Spradlin because it seems like he's only in consideration because he's buddies with the AD. His winning percentage is too low.

Comment

• Sorry. I am not posting this Spradlin stuff out of support. More that I am just reading and researching everything I can to try and figure out WHY he is a candidate. Yes, I know he and the AD have history.....but trying to see what else is there. So I am sharing what I find.

Comment

Working...
                                X