Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a clean break
    The Assman

Comment

• Watched Kent State play last night. They look good. Their coach, Rob Senderoff, might be good to look at, as someone else has mentioned.

Comment

• Originally posted by calfan View Post
        Just to be fair, and I know you all do, Heier brought three players with him From Northwest Florida State.
        Not sure this, in and of itself, is good, bad or indifferent. He needed a boatload of players and they had to come from somewhere.

There are 3 players on the roster from Northwest Florida State. However, 1 was on the NMSU roster last year, so Jans brought him in. I suppose being from NWFS is maybe a reason why he is only 1 of 2 players to return from last year although he did not play for GH at NWFS.

The returning NWFS player, 6-8 F Marchelus Avery, is tied for 3rd in scoring on the NMSU team at 9.6 PPG.

The 2 NWFS players that GH brought with him are 6-7 F Deshawndre Washington who is 2nd in scoring at 12.1 PPG and leads in rebounding at 7.1 RPG and 6-9, 240 F Issa Muhammad who is tied with Avery for 3rd in scoring at 9.6 PPG and 4th in rebounding at 4.6 PPG.

Avery has the top 3-point shooting percentage at 44.2% (23-52) followed by Washington at 38.6% (14-44) among those with 10 or more attempts. Muhammad is their top %FG shooter overall at 58.7%.

NMSU's leading scorer is Xavier Pinson, a 5th year senior transfer from LSU. who is averaging 12.9 PPG. He was at Missouri for 3 years before transferring to LSU so he did not play for LSU when GH was there.

All that said I am still not sure what you were trying to convey with your post. Considering, that the players from NWFS are seemingly among the better players on the team this year perhaps he should have brought more of them along. Or it could indicate he had a hard time recruiting players from elsewhere. Obviously, recruiting into a coach's first year at a new school is never easy and it is even tougher these days especially at a school like NMSU who I suspect doesn't exactly have a big NIL war chest. Now why they are struggling to such a degree in the WAC is hard to say as I don't really follow NMSU or the WAC at all.

I am of the mind to give GH a pass on this year but with that said I think he still needs to prove himself at this level before he would be a candidate at WSU. I might be willing to bet he will do okay at NMSU given time but I would not be willing to bet the WSU program on him at this point and the next hire for WSU will be a very critical one.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 21, 2023, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• 1972, the only thing I was saying is that the two players he brought with him were good. This team has some talent. That is all I was saying.

He might be a good head coach, but we don't know that now. On that, I think you and I agree.

Comment

• Bump
            The Assman

Comment

• I'd settle for a blind hunchback with leprosy at this point
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Not the SMU coach.
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  I'd settle for a blind hunchback with leprosy at this point
                  I remember saying that one night in a bar, maybe at 1:25 or so

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

I remember saying that one night in a bar, maybe at 1:25 or so
                    If you drink enough, they're all 10s that time of night.

Comment

• Not so fast...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                        Not so fast...
                        lol excuse me?
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                          Not so fast...
                          Yes because blowing a 13 point lead down the stretch and nearly crapping down your leg is worth overlooking all the other flaws. Shox won this game on the scoreboard but the same issues are there. The coaching had little to nothing to do with it.

Comment

• Off topic a bit. Chris Vernon show starting at about 15:20 just some interesting banter about 3G from Gary Parrish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
                              Off topic a bit. Chris Vernon show starting at about 15:20 just some interesting banter about 3G from Gary Parrish.
                              The narrative about the Koch brothers is a little exaggerated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

The narrative about the Koch brothers is a little exaggerated.
                                Meh, I think a lot of people outside of Wichita think they're the ones who funded his contract completely. It's understandable I guess, but not correct. As I understand, they were part of it, but Wichita State has more big money donors than people realize.
                                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                                X