No announcement yet.

Game Day Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting .. I'm nowhere near a large donor .. definitely near the bottom of the list. I just got similar invite for a session next week to talk about Game Day experience in the Champions Club. ADKS really trying get a broad viewpoint on how to improve.

Comment

Does anyone recall that legitimately for years anyone who brought up the gameday experience was mocked by a certain subset of SN posters (and logically, a subset of the overall fanbase) for so much as caring one iota about such?

Strange that we have a new AD who's pouring boatloads of time into the issue, right? Please reach out to him and let him know how little it matters. The empty seats in the arena already offer an alternative take, but that's okay.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
        Does anyone recall that legitimately for years anyone who brought up the gameday experience was mocked by a certain subset of SN posters (and logically, a subset of the overall fanbase) for so much as caring one iota about such?

Strange that we have a new AD who's pouring boatloads of time into the issue, right? Please reach out to him and let him know how little it matters. The empty seats in the arena already offer an alternative take, but that's okay.
        Alright, I'll take the bait here as I was likely someone who said the TV timeout stuff wasn't a big deal, and I still stand by that. I come to watch Shocker basketball. I don't care about being entertained otherwise for the most part.

There's also the fact that the athletic department has bills to pay, and one of the revenue streams they use to do so is through ad revenue at games. That was a necessity back in 2014 and it's become even more of a necessity now. We can argue that there could or should be different promotions, whatever (totally fair), but unfortunately, it's not like money is just raining down at this point. Those TV timeouts are potential revenue streams that must be utilized, whether people want to hear it or not. Don't like a sponsor taking up a TV timeout? Fine. Contribute your own money or don't keep pissing and moaning about it.

The product on the floor is the ultimate form of entertainment. Unless there's an angel investor who is willing to pay for a sponsored band segment, and by doing so, sees the ROI on it, it probably won't happen. That's reality for pretty much every school.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
          Interesting .. I'm nowhere near a large donor .. definitely near the bottom of the list. I just got similar invite for a session next week to talk about Game Day experience in the Champions Club. ADKS really trying get a broad viewpoint on how to improve.
          As did I. See you next week.
          78-65

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Alright, I'll take the bait here as I was likely someone who said the TV timeout stuff wasn't a big deal, and I still stand by that. I come to watch Shocker basketball. I don't care about being entertained otherwise for the most part.

There's also the fact that the athletic department has bills to pay, and one of the revenue streams they use to do so is through ad revenue at games. That was a necessity back in 2014 and it's become even more of a necessity now. We can argue that there could or should be different promotions, whatever (totally fair), but unfortunately, it's not like money is just raining down at this point. Those TV timeouts are potential revenue streams that must be utilized, whether people want to hear it or not. Don't like a sponsor taking up a TV timeout? Fine. Contribute your own money or don't keep pissing and moaning about it.

The product on the floor is the ultimate form of entertainment. Unless there's an angel investor who is willing to pay for a sponsored band segment, and by doing so, sees the ROI on it, it probably won't happen. That's reality for pretty much every school.
            I don't see it as black and white as that. Why can't there be a middle ground that uses a little logic. I think the majority of timeout promos are fine. But when we have the crowd roaring, the other team calls a timeout, can we not ask our sponsors to put a clause in their contract that at game day discretion, they can substitute whatever timeout game for a couple of minutes of pump up music? Kick it off by saying "This timeout jam brought to you by XYZ bank" or whatever then just flash their logo on the screen for the timeout while blaring some music to keep the crowd pumped. Im not a marketing genius but I fail to see how that would provide a lower return on marketing dollars than whatever dumb game they wanted to play.

Comment

Are you aware of any other top 50-100 MBB programs that do the timeout promos? I'm not, but admittedly I have little context. I have heard from many non-WSU folks that the timeout promos are unique to WSU, and are not generally received well by outsiders. I recall other AAC fans making fun of us on the for it on the AAC board when we first joined up, and we should hope to count them as out peers.

I would happily pay increased seat/ticket costs over the timeout promos, but that it just me.

Comment

I don't see it as black and white as that. Why can't there be a middle ground that uses a little logic. I think the majority of timeout promos are fine. But when we have the crowd roaring, the other team calls a timeout, can we not ask our sponsors to put a clause in their contract that at game day discretion, they can substitute whatever timeout game for a couple of minutes of pump up music? Kick it off by saying "This timeout jam brought to you by XYZ bank" or whatever then just flash their logo on the screen for the timeout while blaring some music to keep the crowd pumped. Im not a marketing genius but I fail to see how that would provide a lower return on marketing dollars than whatever dumb game they wanted to play.
                I actually don't think that's a terrible idea, but if it's such a good idea, why has it not been done before, and why have no advertisers paid for it?

Comment

I actually don't think that's a terrible idea, but if it's such a good idea, why has it not been done before, and why have no advertisers paid for it?
                  Do we know that the advertisers have ever been offered it? I'm going to guess no.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Are you aware of any other top 50-100 MBB programs that do the timeout promos? I'm not, but admittedly I have little context. I have heard from many non-WSU folks that the timeout promos are unique to WSU, and are not generally received well by outsiders. I recall other AAC fans making fun of us on the for it on the AAC board when we first joined up, and we should hope to count them as out peers.

I would happily pay increased seat/ticket costs over the timeout promos, but that it just me.
                    I'd be interested to hear specifics, as I've been to plenty of other Division 1 schools in the area and have also seen similar promotions during TV timeouts.

I imagine there would be many paying attendees who would not care about the ads. I could be wrong, but I'd love to see specific examples of schools that don't do it and why they don't do it (money/atmosphere/etc.).

There are certainly aspects of the game day experience that can be improved, but I've almost always seen WSU taking advantage of those who want to advertise with the university as a good thing.

Comment

Do we know that the advertisers have ever been offered it? I'm going to guess no.
                      Maybe someone should suggest it to Kevin Saal and see what the response is.

Comment

This problem has been discussed forever, and in big games, progress has been made. But we always slide back to the way it’s always been. I like Saal, but I’m not optimistic that it will be solved now.

Comment

We had Lexus quality teams and a Lexus quality coach, with Lexus pricing, but no frills Hyundai quality game experience.

The Lexus level teams and coach made it easier to squint real hard so you wouldn't notice the game experience. But now we are still paying Lexus prices for a complete Hyundai package.

Either drop the expectation and prices, or maintain prices and raise the quality.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            We had Lexus quality teams and a Lexus quality coach, with Lexus pricing, but no frills Hyundai quality game experience.

The Lexus level teams and coach made it easier to squint real hard so you wouldn't notice the game experience. But now we are still paying Lexus prices for a complete Hyundai package.

Either drop the expectation and prices, or maintain prices and raise the quality.
                            ^This.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

At least in the short term, we lost the Lexus in the divorce but got to keep the car payment for it

Comment

At least in the short term, we lost the Lexus in the divorce but got to keep the car payment for it
                                Contract

noun
                                /ˈkäntrakt/
                                1. a written or spoken agreement, especially one concerning employment, sales, or tenancy, that is intended to be enforceable by law.
                                  "both parties must sign employment contracts"

Comment

Working...
                                X