Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realignment Carousel Spins Up again (USC and UCLA to Big 10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Makes sense with football and the other two academies being in there... But hurts basketball again
    Moved to Colorado Springs a decade ago and might never leave. I'm probably more excited than anyone on here.

Comment

• Frankly, I kind of wondered why Tulane would not consider going to the NEW PAC-12....already fit football wise....

Comment

• Also, UNLV? Would probably have to bring UNR as well. That's a large swath.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
          https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...l7sNaF3K8Rc1-w

Also, UNLV? Would probably have to bring UNR as well. That's a large swath.
          There are five MWC schools I'd be open to. What makes me laugh is it was AFA that ended the possible additions a couple of years ago when we were set to add them and Colorado State. I guess this means they definitely aren't following Colorado State to the PAC as some had speculated might still happen.

Having all three academies can't hurt the media deal, even if AFA would hurt the strength of basketball. Please go after New Mexico if we're making moves west!
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...l7sNaF3K8Rc1-w

Also, UNLV? Would probably have to bring UNR as well. That's a large swath.
            Bring UNLV, Nevada, and New Mexico and I like it

Comment

• I have a soft spot for Utah State.

Comment

• I think moving West of the Continental Divide, is not a good strategy for television coverage and travel costs.

Comment

• Encouraging that AAC schools aren't rushing to the exits quite yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                    I think moving West of the Continental Divide, is not a good strategy for television coverage and travel costs.
                    If Air Force becomes OK, how is travel costs that much more an issue than going to Temple, the Florida schools, or other eastern coast schools?

Comment

I think moving West of the Continental Divide, is not a good strategy for television coverage and travel costs.
                      That still leaves AF in play.

Comment

Moved to Colorado Springs a decade ago and might never leave. I'm probably more excited than anyone on here.
                        I do love Colorado Springs
                        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Viewers in Mountain and Pacific times are able to comfortably watch broadcasts of games from the Eastern and Central time zones. It doesn't work the other way around. Viewers on the east coast can't comfortably watch games from the Pacific time zone. It's a stretch for viewers in the Central time zone.

Travel from Florida to eastern Colorado is tough, even if it doesn't have to be done often with divisions. Nevada is another hour and a half to two hours of travel time past Colorado Springs.

USC and UCLA can afford traveling to Rutgers. AAC schools don't have the $$ to undertake that type of travel.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I think there's a general reluctance from schools in the Eastern and Central time zones to play outside of those time zones if they can help it.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                              I think there's a general reluctance from schools in the Eastern and Central time zones to play outside of those time zones if they can help it.
                              And that's the difference between joining a western based conference and adding a few western based teams to an eastern/central based conference.

If AFA is a given, which it's not right now but rumors have things moving in that direction, I would target New Mexico first. That brings in at least one of the AFA front range partners and the best basketball option available, historically speaking. Mountain time zone isn't gonna be a killer. After that, pick two of the three between Utah State, UNLV, and Nevada. Or just go huge if ESPN is willing to pay for it and add all five and one more eastern school to get football to an even number if that's necessary. Let San Jose State, Wyoming, and Hawaii try to salvage the MWC at that point.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Viewers in Mountain and Pacific times are able to comfortably watch broadcasts of games from the Eastern and Central time zones. It doesn't work the other way around. Viewers on the east coast can't comfortably watch games from the Pacific time zone. It's a stretch for viewers in the Central time zone.

Travel from Florida to eastern Colorado is tough, even if it doesn't have to be done often with divisions. Nevada is another hour and a half to two hours of travel time past Colorado Springs.

USC and UCLA can afford traveling to Rutgers. AAC schools don't have the $$ to undertake that type of travel.

I agree with what you have written.

If you look at it this way, when we had; Southern Methodist University, University of Houston, University of Cincinnati, University of Central Florida and University of Connecticut in the conference the total distance in miles = 10,500 between their campus and WSU.

After they left and we added; Charlotte, Florida Atlantic, North Texas, Rice. UAB, and UTSA the total distance in miles = 10,850 (only about 3% difference) between their campus and WSU.

However, if you add; Air Force, Nevada-Reno, UNLV, and Utah State the total distance in miles = 15,150 (about a 40% increase) between their campus and WSU. That is significant and material to our Athletic Budget. It's not just Basketball, it's all the other sports at WSU as well.

With no football at WSU, it's all about what Universities bring to the table via "eyeballs​" on TV, Cable, and Steaming Devices. WSU took a risk and hitched our wagon to the AAC horses. Is there a better herd of horses to hitch to, maybe, but we have little to say in this round of realignment.

Comment

Working...
                                X