Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realignment Carousel Spins Up again (USC and UCLA to Big 10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It will be interesting to see what their media deal will look like. Right now they have a **** ton of money that was forfeit by the schools that left and the PAC will be paying the bulk of the exit fees for the MWC schools, which I believe I read will be around $36M each because it will be less than 2 years notice. I'm sure that will end up being less, but the PAC is still looking at around $80M in exit fees for the four schools. How much are they covering and how much of that stockpile will that eat up?

I'm also not sure if the media deal will be enough to stretch to conference across the country. Remember, the PAC was abandoned because the media deal with all of the major schools in it wasn't competitive with the other P conferences. They're definitely not going to be getting more by adding the schools they're adding. I'm sure they still may end up making more than the MWC and AAC as a whole, but is it enough to warrant the potential travel costs associated with schools in the east? That, at this point, is very debatable. I was a little surprised they went as far as Colorado Springs to be honest. I figured they'd keep things a little closer to the coast and maybe add another California school or one of the Nevada schools instead.

They'll have to add at least two more before the 2026 season, unless they're granted some sort of extension as the 25-26 academic year will be the end of the two year window to get back to eight. I would think the most likely options would be one of the Nevada schools and possibly Utah State to get to eight, unless they want to add San Jose.

As far as the American goes, if they reach in I could see them target Rice.

As it stands right now, the MWC has remaining: Air Force, Nevada, UNLV, New Mexico, San Jose State, Utah State, and Wyoming. So the MWC will be needing to add at least one school as it stands now. I don't see them being able to pull an AAC school, which leaves them to hold their nose and call up New Mexico State or UTEP or try and convince NDSU and SDSU to make the jump to FBS. I don't really see the MWC wanting FCS schools, but if you're to make an exception those are the two schools you make the exception for. I'm not sure if either of the Montana schools are in a place financially to jump up and I'm not sure the MWC sees them as attractive enough anyway. The other option would be to go after recent CUSA call up Sam Houston State which had a strong run in FCS but I'm not sure is ready for a jump to the MWC. Texas State out of the Belt would be another hesitant type of option if they wanted in Texas. I don't see any of the WAC FCS schools being tempting.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Is it bad for me to want to see all this dollar chasing conference realignment come crashing down like an effing house of cards? If TV money is what props this up, is there a point where that money flow collapses?
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        It will be interesting to see what their media deal will look like. Right now they have a **** ton of money that was forfeit by the schools that left and the PAC will be paying the bulk of the exit fees for the MWC schools, which I believe I read will be around $36M each because it will be less than 2 years notice. I'm sure that will end up being less, but the PAC is still looking at around $80M in exit fees for the four schools. How much are they covering and how much of that stockpile will that eat up?

I'm also not sure if the media deal will be enough to stretch to conference across the country. Remember, the PAC was abandoned because the media deal with all of the major schools in it wasn't competitive with the other P conferences. They're definitely not going to be getting more by adding the schools they're adding. I'm sure they still may end up making more than the MWC and AAC as a whole, but is it enough to warrant the potential travel costs associated with schools in the east? That, at this point, is very debatable. I was a little surprised they went as far as Colorado Springs to be honest. I figured they'd keep things a little closer to the coast and maybe add another California school or one of the Nevada schools instead.

They'll have to add at least two more before the 2026 season, unless they're granted some sort of extension as the 25-26 academic year will be the end of the two year window to get back to eight. I would think the most likely options would be one of the Nevada schools and possibly Utah State to get to eight, unless they want to add San Jose.

As far as the American goes, if they reach in I could see them target Rice.

As it stands right now, the MWC has remaining: Air Force, Nevada, UNLV, New Mexico, San Jose State, Utah State, and Wyoming. So the MWC will be needing to add at least one school as it stands now. I don't see them being able to pull an AAC school, which leaves them to hold their nose and call up New Mexico State or UTEP or try and convince NDSU and SDSU to make the jump to FBS. I don't really see the MWC wanting FCS schools, but if you're to make an exception those are the two schools you make the exception for. I'm not sure if either of the Montana schools are in a place financially to jump up and I'm not sure the MWC sees them as attractive enough anyway. The other option would be to go after recent CUSA call up Sam Houston State which had a strong run in FCS but I'm not sure is ready for a jump to the MWC. Texas State out of the Belt would be another hesitant type of option if they wanted in Texas. I don't see any of the WAC FCS schools being tempting.

Bolded part .. keep in mind they were offered 50 million per .. but turned it down because they wanted more. Then the networks went elsewhere. Granted a lot of the big brands are gone now.

The AAC is at 7 million per.

There is a LOT of room for them to double or triple an AAC schools payout. They still have the Pac12 brand, they have a lot of inventory in time zones that other conferences don't. If they pull 2-4 of our top football schools, they have a massive leg up on getting the Group of 6 auto bid every year in the CFP. They won't have a ton of dead weight in football. So there are lots of reasons why I could see them getting 15-20 million per school with the right last 2-4 additions.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I don't want WSU to be in a West Coast conference, but if these guys start poaching the top programs from the AAC I would hope ADKS can get us in there (perhaps as a basketball-only partner to Gonzaga).
          The more i think about this (the pipe dream of us getting added with Gonzaga) .. i don't think it makes sense as is. We would need multiple of the texas schools to go with us. I don't think we want to lose a presence in Texas especially with where we have been recruiting heavily lately. I think it would be a hard to sell to get recuits to get excited about going out west all the time.

I actually think i would prefer a mini implosion with a combination of MWC/AAC coming out of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

The more i think about this (the pipe dream of us getting added with Gonzaga) .. i don't think it makes sense as is. We would need multiple of the texas schools to go with us. I don't think we want to lose a presence in Texas especially with where we have been recruiting heavily lately. I think it would be a hard to sell to get recuits to get excited about going out west all the time.

I actually think i would prefer a mini implosion with a combination of MWC/AAC coming out of it.
            My only concern is the MWC/AAC combo would likely be strong in MBB but suck in football (assuming Memphis, Tulane, and UTSA go to the PAC-12). No media partner wants to pay for a conference that sucks in football.

For WSU, the PAC-12 invite wouldn't be the worst if they decided to add a larger chunk of AAC schools to balance out the geographical dispersion.

Comment

My only concern is the MWC/AAC combo would likely be strong in MBB but suck in football (assuming Memphis, Tulane, and UTSA go to the PAC-12). No media partner wants to pay for a conference that sucks in football.

For WSU, the PAC-12 invite wouldn't be the worst if they decided to add a larger chunk of AAC schools to balance out the geographical dispersion.
              Yea PAC would be more money for sure.

Comment

• Almost independent time...

If the conference implodes, we switch to independent and play everybody.

Then we announce a 12 month plan to restart football. A 24 month plan to begin building a new stadium.

We'll need a nice gift ($50M) from the top 5 Shocker boosters to get things rolling.

The rest is history.

If the Shockers don't get their athletics back into the top 30 nationally, the city of Wichita will be history. ​

Comment

• Is it possible that the common perception that title IX constraints and football being too costly to start up and maintain will change to the perception that it will be too costly to not have football? I know it's not the answer to all of this but it feels like like we'd have a bit more leverage in controlling the destiny of the university in these realignment shakeups.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    Is it possible that the common perception that title IX constraints and football being too costly to start up and maintain will change to the perception that it will be too costly to not have football? I know it's not the answer to all of this but it feels like like we'd have a bit more leverage in controlling the destiny of the university in these realignment shakeups.
                    Cold's on the right track, but it needs to be doubled to $100MM to get things rolling. I know, hard to believe for some, but it's available in this community... just need the right plan.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• If the AAC gets raided again, I would actually be interested in the A10. I’m probably alone in that though.

Comment

• Explaining Pac-12 expansion: How it started, what are the financial ramifications, what's next?

Kyle Bonagura, ESPN Staff Writer
                        Sep 12, 2024, 03:22 PM ET​

"...Who else will the Pac-12 target?
                        It will likely aim high and move down the list. Cal and Stanford are the dream acquisitions, but making that happen would be extremely complicated given they just went to the ACC, which is a party in four lawsuits relating to the potential departures of Clemson and Florida State. It's worth wondering, though, if Cal and Stanford might have any remorse about their decisions to join the ACC given they are receiving just a 30% share of the league's media rights distributions over the next seven years (in 2022-23, the ACC distributed an average of $44.8 million per school). While the ACC schools are closer academic peers than what the revamped Pac-12 will look like, how much that really matters in the big picture is up for debate.

The more realistic targets are Tulane and Memphis. But those two will need a much clearer understanding of the financial picture to leave the AAC than the threshold used by the four MWC schools. There would be appeal in building the top football league outside the Power 4, but it would still have to make financial sense. UTSA's location makes it a good fit.

Among the remaining MWC schools, UNLV is still viewed as a likely candidate to also move. It checks all the boxes, but that it wasn't in this first wave is telling. The MWC's position is much weaker today than it was yesterday, and that could be used as leverage to bring in UNLV -- or other MWC schools -- at smaller yearly distribution rates, a la Cal and Stanford in the ACC. Air Force figures to be the other MWC school that has the most appeal.

What's next for the Mountain West?
                        As things stand, its membership will be at eight in two years: Air Force, Hawai'i, Nevada, New Mexico, San José State, UNLV, Utah State and Wyoming. One more defection would take the conference below the required NCAA minimum for which it -- like the Pac-12 has now -- would get a two-year grace period to grow back to at least eight.

There had been previous speculation that members could try to dissolve the conference -- a process that requires a 75% vote -- in order to avoid exit fees to join the Pac-12, but that would mean nine teams would have had to be on board. It's even less likely now given the departing members are not expected to be able to vote.

The money from the Pac-12 raid could help the conference rebuild -- using the Pac-12 blueprint -- but it's still too early to say what it will look like long term."​

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Cold's on the right track, but it needs to be doubled to $100MM to get things rolling. I know, hard to believe for some, but it's available in this community... just need the right plan.

I think it could definitely work with the right people being involved and if they properly invested in it. Seeing how Charlotte did it, makes me believe we can do it.

Comment

• It would take one of the whales to directly lead the charge with an obscene investment to make it a reality. Until then it's the same pie in the sky fluff that's been bantered about for the past 30 years.

Comment

I don't want WSU to be in a West Coast conference, but if these guys start poaching the top programs from the AAC I would hope ADKS can get us in there (perhaps as a basketball-only partner to Gonzaga).
                              I don't disagree, but a two hour time lapse would be grueling for the players and fans. That could mean 10PM starts at times.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X