Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realignment Carousel Spins Up again (USC and UCLA to Big 10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
    As crazy as it all got, really fast… I am starting to feel kinda good about who the American added. Those are all from big cities, which fit the American mold and they are all kinda perfectly on that line of “worth adding and totally safe from getting poached for a while”

I’m really hoping the AAC figures out how to stay strong enough to still be one of the top conferences on the outside of all this stuff. We need to be the ones doing the inviting of every remaining big city/program as the dust settles and I think it’s very possible to pull that off. I can really see how being invited to the AAC when we were could have been very fortunate even in the midst of feeling like you just added a bunch of medium conference USA schools. It’s still going to end up being on the leading edge of its class when all is said and done.
    If the ACC collapses I have feeling that is where the AAC looks to add schools. ACC collapse+A-10 collapse= AAC expansion

Comment

• As others have added… it’s a great opportunity for a BB super conference. I think that will happen and I hope WSU will be a part of it

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
        As others have added… it’s a great opportunity for a BB super conference. I think that will happen and I hope WSU will be a part of it
        If that is ever on the table we need to be in it big time. The American invite was a no brainer at the time but it’s not the kind of thing you stay loyal to if something crazy happens like if the Big East decided to add all of the strongest basketball schools that don’t have football. The crazier things get elsewhere the more possible that type of thing seems. We are seeing new ideas modeled now so who knows…

Big East plus Gonzaga, WSU, Dayton, VCU etc would be a basketball power that could hang even with a “power 2” situation.

Comment

If that is ever on the table we need to be in it big time. The American invite was a no brainer at the time but it’s not the kind of thing you stay loyal to if something crazy happens like if the Big East decided to add all of the strongest basketball schools that don’t have football. The crazier things get elsewhere the more possible that type of thing seems. We are seeing new ideas modeled now so who knows…

Big East plus Gonzaga, WSU, Dayton, VCU etc would be a basketball power that could hang even with a “power 2” situation.
          I don’t think the Big East is doing a good thing right now. Sure, they are pretty good at basketball, but to sit back during all this the last couple years now and act like they are only worthy of KU and Duke? It’s not a good business strategy. At this point what are Nova and what is Providence? Nothing but names academically. WSU just built a whole new campus and the overall goal is to not be “just a name.” We aren’t a good fit for the Big East

Comment

I'm pretty sure the "loyalty" to the AAC was more driven from a lack of desire to put forth effort of a former employee of WSU. I feel much better that if the opportunity is presented that we will put our best foot forward now.

Comment

• Here's what the powers that be are discussing.
              Basically, they want to change the best tournament to ever exist into an exclusive Power conference tourney only.

Comment

• It makes more sense to expand to 128 than exclude the non-P3 schools. I'm afraid this whole thing is circling the drain. Ugh! These guys want ALL the money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post
                  Here's what the powers that be are discussing.
                  Basically, they want to change the best tournament to ever exist into an exclusive Power conference tourney only.
                  https://www.on3.com/news/report-greg...e-realignment/
                  While it wouldn't surprise me... That story is basically about a ******* source that couldn't be confirmed by anyone else there lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post
                    Here's what the powers that be are discussing.
                    https://www.on3.com/news/report-greg...e-realignment/
                    Not at all the way this is breaking down. Look no further than the Knight Commission. The Knight Commission recommended that the upper level of FBS football reorganize outside of the NCAA. In my opinion, and if you look at this with relation to the Knight Commission, it all makes sense. Its also, one of the two reasons realignment is centered solely around football.

Without going into too much detail, the Knight Commission recommended P-5 football only to split away from the NCAA. All other sports, basketball as well, to remain in the NCAA. That process has started. The Knight Commission was what also prompted KU to initiate their $350 million football campaign. The failure of that campaign, and how it related to the Knight Commission report is a key reason why KU missed out on the B1G.

For basketball only schools like WSU. The Knight Commission only relates to getying into the most competitive basketball conference possible. The NCAA tourney isn't going anywhere. If the P-2 excludes everyone else, the tourney whittles down to 16 and there's no money in that. No money in 32, either. A 64 team tourney would include every P-2 school and discount the entire regular season. There will always be a place for everyone in March Madness.
                    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                      There will always be a place for everyone in March Madness.
                      I can see it already: March Madness will be for non-P2 schools only, and the top four will be invited to the P-2 April Anarchy tournament as play-in games. It works for the P-2, because the March Madness teams will be spent from grinding through the MM tourney and then having to play an additional play-in game in the AA tourney. But hey, there are still Cinderellas! yay
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I can see it already: March Madness will be for non-P2 schools only, and the top four will be invited to the P-2 April Anarchy tournament as play-in games. It works for the P-2, because the March Madness teams will be spent from grinding through the MM tourney and then having to play an additional play-in game in the AA tourney. But hey, there are still Cinderellas! yay
                        None of that will happen. The P-5, now P-2 or 3, wants money. But the problem with paring out the non- P-2 or 3's is you eliminate games, which devalues the tourney. And if you exclude the non- P-2 or 3's and replace with more P-2 or 3's, you devalue the regular season.

The current system is pretty ideal for everyone and changing it really only resizes the pie along with the sizes of pieces of pie. In the end, they can end uo with a big piece of a small pie or a small piece of a big pie. How much pie they get doesn't change. As much as the current P-5 wants all of the money, they can't get it.
                        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

But the problem with paring out the non- P-2 or 3's is you eliminate games, which devalues the tourney.
                          I don't know about that. If you look at the attendance numbers for that first weekend of the tourney, coupled with the poor success rate of the bottom seeds, there are already too many teams.

Comment

• For me, the beauty of the tournament is that the little guy has a chance, even if it's slim. You know the bigger names are generally going to win, but teams like Saint Peter's, Oral Roberts, and Davidson are capable of making long runs at times.

How many people feel the same way as I do? Not sure.
                            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                              For me, the beauty of the tournament is that the little guy has a chance, even if it's slim. You know the bigger names are generally going to win, but teams like Saint Peter's, Oral Roberts, and Davidson are capable of making long runs at times.

It's what makes the tournament special and creates the greatness that is the opening weekend. Take that away, and you lose a lot of interest, especially from casual fans who love to root for the upset/underdog.

I can only speak for myself, but if WSU isn't playing, I pretty much stop watching after that opening weekend outside of following any of the Cinderella teams that might make it out.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                                For me, the beauty of the tournament is that the little guy has a chance, even if it's slim. You know the bigger names are generally going to win, but teams like Saint Peter's, Oral Roberts, and Davidson are capable of making long runs at times.

I think everyone that loves basketball feels this way. Unfortunately some people love money more than anything else.

Comment

Working...
                                X