Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realignment Carousel Spins Up again (USC and UCLA to Big 10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JayPak View Post
    Rumors flying about San Diego State to the PAC. Shockers to the MW as a replacement?
    I think Dan Patrick announced that .... Then the athletic said their sources are saying nothing will happen until after the media deal

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

No. We're better off in the American. Though if the MWC loses a couple of schools to the PAC, I wouldn't be surprised to see the AAC go back after CSU and AFA and go to 16.
      SDSU might be enough to do it on its own.

Comment

• Ya, this rumor has already been debunked. DP got ahead of himself. Lol!

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
          Ya, this rumor has already been debunked. DP got ahead of himself. Lol!
          Maybe so, but this does seem like the most obvious play for the PAC should they look to replace USC and UCLA. They could just remain as they are, but that doesn't seem likely. I'm not sure who the 2nd school would be if they wanted to replace both, but they'll want a SoCal presence one would think. With that said, they probably look down on SDSU academically. I don't know what kind of status they have in that realm, I just know the PAC is a bit snobby when it comes to academics. Much like the B1G.

The thing that sucks for the PAC is there are some great academic schools out there, but they don't have the athletic prowess or following.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Maybe so, but this does seem like the most obvious play for the PAC should they look to replace USC and UCLA. They could just remain as they are, but that doesn't seem likely. I'm not sure who the 2nd school would be if they wanted to replace both, but they'll want a SoCal presence one would think. With that said, they probably look down on SDSU academically. I don't know what kind of status they have in that realm, I just know the PAC is a bit snobby when it comes to academics. Much like the B1G.

The thing that sucks for the PAC is there are some great academic schools out there, but they don't have the athletic prowess or following.
            The BIG can afford to be snobbish .. the PAC can't ..

Comment

• Rah Rah Roo Go Pepperdine U

Comment

• The PAC 12 has absolutely always looked down on SDSU from an academic standpoint and that, IMO, will be the factor that keeps them from including SDSU in any expansion. It goes back tot the creation of the UC system in the 1960's. It essentially created a hierarchy in state schools vs. UC schools. UC schools were seen as more prestigious and state schools as the lower tier. While in reality SDSU is on par with just about any other, the perception still exists that it is a lower tier. Obviously, with USC and UCLA leaving and others on verge, it creates a since of urgency that might supercede this perception of SDSU but I can tell you that most within the PAC 12 do not want SDSU. It doesn't help that they made their new football stadium too small in my opinion either.

Comment

• Pac-12 commish George Kliavkoff visiting SMU Wednesday, sources told
                  @ActionNetworkHQ. San Diego State & SMU are top Pac-12 expansion candidates. Pac-12 needs more members & more inventory for new media rights deal, which is expected to rely heavily on digital streaming services

Comment

• Good lord. Pretty soon the AAC isn't going to be Missouri Valley level, it'll be Ohio Valley level.

Comment

• I can't imagine the AAC will remain at 13 members if SMU leaves. If it happens, my preference would be for the AAC to go after 3-5 MWC schools and create a G5 super conference. With the way P5 realignment is trending, the AAC and MWC are going to continue getting diluted so why not band together?

If I were Aresco I'd go to ESPN and secure their blessing (meaning more $$$) to pursue Boise State, Air Force, Colorado State, UNLV, and New Mexico. Those five schools would certainly increase the media payout and add two time zones to the league. Going to 18 (while completely ridiculous) would somewhat protect the core of the conference from future poaching as it could afford to lose a few members. A more conservative move would be to go to 16 teams, adding Boise State, Colorado State, and Air Force. Some have also kicked around the idea of the AAC adding Air Force, Colorado State, Army (football), and VCU (Olympic sports).

Realistically, the AAC will add UTEP or someone similar and call it a day.
                      Last edited by TrackSuitAndTie; February 8, 2023, 09:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                        I can't imagine the AAC will remain at 13 members if SMU leaves. If it happens, my preference would be for the AAC to go after 3-5 MWC schools and create a G5 super conference. With the way P5 realignment is trending, the AAC and MWC are going to continue getting diluted so why not band together?

If I were Aresco I'd go to ESPN and secure their blessing (meaning more $$$) to pursue Boise State, Air Force, Colorado State, UNLV, and New Mexico. Those five schools would certainly increase the media payout and add two time zones to the league. Going to 18 (while completely ridiculous) would somewhat protect the core of the conference from future poaching as it could afford to lose a few members. A more conservative move would be to go to 16 teams, adding Boise State, Colorado State, and Air Force. Some have also kicked around the idea of the AAC adding Air Force, Colorado State, Army (football), and VCU (Olympic sports).

Realistically, the AAC will add UTEP or someone similar and call it a day.
                        I believe a lot of the reason that AFA and CSU didn't come last time was because they were waiting on SDSU .. if SDSU bounces .. i think that's back on the table.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I believe a lot of the reason that AFA and CSU didn't come last time was because they were waiting on SDSU .. if SDSU bounces .. i think that's back on the table.
                          If AFA and CSU bring AAC membership up to 15 you have to figure they either add Boise State or Army/VCU to round things off at 16. From a football perspective I think having all three service academies in the same conference would be pretty cool.

Comment

• SMU seems an odd fit for the PAC, but if it happens, so be it.

The MWC losing SDSU would be huge and could allow the AAC to make a move west. Pretty much every school in the MWC could be a target. AFA and CSU are the first two. Would Boise accept or do they still wait out a potential XII invite? UNLV could be fun. Utah State as an R1 research university which would be a selling point for presidents and could be a bridge from Colorado to Nevada and potentially CA with a Fresno. I know the CO schools would love New Mexico and Wyoming, but I would think they'd both be lower in the MWC pecking order.

If we were to add just one school to replace an SMU, I could see possibly going after a Toledo or Buffalo. Akron?

I'm not sure CUSA has anyone left that fits the mold. Maybe FIU, but I don't think that's a want.

Would ESPN allow us to raid the Belt? In the past, people have talked about Southern Miss and Marshall, who both have a fair amount of history with a number of schools in the AAC. There was talk previously about Georgia State. They need some work, but they're a large urban, research institution in the heart of Atlanta.

If adding five from the MWC, I think the top five are AFA, CSU, Boise, UNLV and Fresno/Utah State. Not sure on that last one. USU would connect CO, ID and NV, not that that's exactly important. But you'd be looking at a triangle of sorts with USU, Boise and UNLV, or Fresno, UNLV, and Boise.

I do think with SDSU moving on (I'm assuming that will happen as they make the most sense for the PAC), you have to go big and going after four or five MWC schools would make it more enticing for them and potentially grow the TV contract with ESPN as it would add two more time zones in some decent urban areas with good product.

It's a lot to think about. I still never would have guessed that SMU would be a PAC target. They're probably the best Texas target left for them, but it still seems odd. Though it will also be interesting to see if the B1G or XII try to target more PAC schools in the nearish future. There has been talk about Oregon, Arizona, Colorado and Utah being looked at, and maybe a couple of others. It does seem a lot easier for those two conference to go west than for the Pac to expand east with any great influence.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• A league that stretches from Fresno to Tampa? The B1G can do something like that with the amount of TV revenue they get. I doubt that's realistic for the AAC.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Not understanding Fresno State. I'd pick UNLV before them. I'd be more inclined to go with the Mountain Division schools. Wyoming is small in student numbers, but they have the largest endowment (by far) of any MWC school. I'd definitely like Utah St (we have a history) and for the reason SubGod22 mentions. If Boise State was a holdout, I'd wouldn't wait on them.

Comment

Working...
                                X