Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realignment Carousel Spins Up again (USC and UCLA to Big 10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• university_of_michigan_football_weight_room_11.jpgpfpc-weight-room_small.jpg
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Won't the SEC and B1G eventually just swallow up all major schools, divide them East and West and then break away from the NCAA as we know it?
      They will probably break away for football only.
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
        The sprint center could capitalize on that
        How?

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

They will probably break away for football only.
          That makes sense.

Interesting: The US Supreme Court decided that the NCAA _itself_ did not fall under the guise of Title IX: https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/525/459/ because the NCAA is not federally funded.

If the two mega football conferences merge and create a new ultra-mega league that does not take federal money (like the NCAA does not), and instead only collects money from the member institutions and media then that super-mega-ultra league doesn't even have to manage Title IX concerns. The member institutions would still have to be compliant, but the ultra-mega-super-maxi league wouldn't have to give a rats ass if Nebraska decides to screw female athletes over. It'd be up for the women at the non-compliant school to sue the school, but the football schedule would carry on no matter what with no recourse.

Crazy!
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• My guess is this is happening. The way the B1G and SEC have aggressively become the top two megas, the real FBS split will be the top 48. That would not include Kansas or K- State. Nebraska is lucky as hell they got in when they did, they would also be on the outside looking in.

So my guess is the B1G and SEC go to 24, carve football out of the NCAA, take 90% of the football revenue, and keep MBB and all olympic sports in the NCAA. And if you're not one of those 48, you're media revenue will drop substantially.

Schools in the BE, and others without football wont be affected as much as their media revenue is already basketball only.

Comment

That makes sense.

Interesting: The US Supreme Court decided that the NCAA _itself_ did not fall under the guise of Title IX: https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/525/459/ because the NCAA is not federally funded.

If the two mega football conferences merge and create a new ultra-mega league that does not take federal money (like the NCAA does not), and instead only collects money from the member institutions and media then that super-mega-ultra league doesn't even have to manage Title IX concerns. The member institutions would still have to be compliant, but the ultra-mega-super-maxi league wouldn't have to give a rats ass if Nebraska decides to screw female athletes over. It'd be up for the women at the non-compliant school to sue the school, but the football schedule would carry on no matter what with no recourse.

Crazy!
              The reason this hasn’t happened yet is the impact the number of womens sports on campus as Title IX requires equal opportunity. Remove the 85 FB scholarships, and that’s 85 womens scholarships that go as well.

There is talk at every TV Contract for BCS/CFP meeting about the legal implications and they continue to work behind the scenes knowing they will be sued if they do this.

Comment

• Missouri staying in the corner with their heads down hoping nobody notices them.....

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

How?
                  In a truly national conference, a place like the sprint center should be in consideration to host some neutral court games for the lower level teams that lack the budget for cross country travel. That, coupled with the time difference, could ease some scheduling issues.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

The reason this hasn’t happened yet is the impact the number of womens sports on campus as Title IX requires equal opportunity. Remove the 85 FB scholarships, and that’s 85 womens scholarships that go as well.

There is talk at every TV Contract for BCS/CFP meeting about the legal implications and they continue to work behind the scenes knowing they will be sued if they do this.
                    Is it remove or increase? They could in theory just give full rides to all football players. Then they would have to increase women's schollies too, but that wouldn't be difficult? Or maybe it would?

Comment

Is it remove or increase? They could in theory just give full rides to all football players. Then they would have to increase women's schollies too, but that wouldn't be difficult? Or maybe it would?
                      It already is that. FB is 100% scholarships. It’s why there is womens soccer at many universities in the SEC but not Mens Soccer.

Comment

It already is that. FB is 100% scholarships. It’s why there is womens soccer at many universities in the SEC but not Mens Soccer.
                        Ah, didn't realize FB was 100%. Then I don't see the issue with them splitting away? Nothing really changes. It seems to me all the schools are still in Title IX compliance even if the football players are in a different league, because no new schollies were added or subtracted. The league they are in doesn't matter from a Title IX perspective.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                          Conference geography is bonkers now.

Big 12 with BYU and UCF in the same Conference
                          Big 10 with USC, UCLA in the same conference as Rutgers and Maryland lol
                          With CU in the PAC, BYU was probably the best available option in the Rocky Mountain region....UCF makes little sense. For some reason the addition of WVU did make some sense to me. And now it works pretty well with the addition of Cincinnati.

Comment

Ah, didn't realize FB was 100%. Then I don't see the issue with them splitting away? Nothing really changes. It seems to me all the schools are still in Title IX compliance even if the football players are in a different league, because no new schollies were added or subtracted. The league they are in doesn't matter from a Title IX perspective.
                            But the scholarships are no longer equal. And that is against the law.

Comment

• Originally posted by N Crestway View Post

With CU in the PAC, BYU was probably the best available option in the Rocky Mountain region....UCF makes little sense. For some reason the addition of WVU did make some sense to me. And now it works pretty well with the addition of Cincinnati.

UCF makes sense in the "AAC/ESPN tried to demolish our league so I am going to do everything I can to get revenge" sense.

Comment

But the scholarships are no longer equal. And that is against the law.
                                I don't understand? The quantity of scholarships hasn't changed. Or are you saying the value of each individual scholarship has changed?

Comment

Working...
                                X