Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realignment Carousel Spins Up again (USC and UCLA to Big 10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The more I think about this, the more I think the AAC should really take a swing at Army for football and VCU for Olympics. Army needs little argument as an academic elite institution with a large fanbase. Out of all the schools the AAC could add, Army might be the only one that singlehandedly moves the needle in terms of TV payouts.

In addition, VCU hits the criteria the league has long sought for candidate schools. VCU is located in a sizable market, is an R1 institution, and is within the conference's geographical footprint.

Comment

• I only mention Fresno because the western schools would most likely want a California presence if possible and Fresno would seem to make the most sense if that were the case. I'd prefer USU over them personally.

Wyoming is a tough choice if others are likely to come because the entire state has a smaller population than the Wichita metro area. I'm not vehemently opposed to them, but I don't think they would be at the top of the MWC list.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• As much as I would love VCU. Isn’t that a lateral move for them?

Comment

• Adding two big media markets in San Diego and Dallas makes a ton of sense for the Pac12. They are struggling to get a media deal done and this could help with that. Still not sure how attractive the pac12 is nationally without usc and ucla though.

Comment

• Option 1: AAC adds 5

- Bosie
            - CSU
            - AFA
            - Army/VCU
            - One of the following (UNLV, UN-R, USU, UNM, Liberty, Buffalo, Fresno)

Option 2: Pray to whatever higher power floats your boat that Saal can be a miracle worker and get us into the BE. (I know that impacts other sports, but I'm assuming those problems are figured out in this basketball dream scenario as well)
            The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
              As much as I would love VCU. Isn’t that a lateral move for them?
              Perhaps, or a slight jump.

More potential in the AAC though, IMO.
              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                Option 1: AAC adds 5

- Bosie
                - CSU
                - AFA
                - Army/VCU
                - One of the following (UNLV, UN-R, USU, UNM, Liberty, Buffalo, Fresno)

Option 2: Pray to whatever higher power floats your boat that Saal can be a miracle worker and get us into the BE. (I know that impacts other sports, but I'm assuming those problems are figured out in this basketball dream scenario as well)
                I don't think we'll ever see Army join. I suppose if AFA joins it might increase the chances, but I still think they continue to turn down the offer. I also don't see VCU joining with any football only school.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I got to say, a conference call the AMERICAN with all 3 service academy schools in it (at least for football) has a nice ring to it.

Would need to figure out a way to not mess with the Army/Navy game though!!
                  The Assman

Comment

Would need to figure out a way to not mess with the Army/Navy game though!!
                    That seems to be the biggest concern amongst those that matter. I suppose they could guarantee to never schedule them to play each other and this can be considered a non-con game. I'm not sure how that works in reality, but it would have to be something like that as isn't the Army/Navy game the week after the conference championship game? Can you be in a conference with someone and never play them? Would the NCAA allow some sort of exception because it's Army/Navy?
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I don't think we'll ever see Army join. I suppose if AFA joins it might increase the chances, but I still think they continue to turn down the offer. I also don't see VCU joining with any football only school.
                      Maybe not, but I'm trying to build the best conference with the pieces available; wether it happens or not

It would make sense for Army. Navy's program has been on a much better run lately. Being in a stronger conference has to have something to do with that.

Why should VCU care if they aren't playing football? Just focus on what your successful at and have the football $$$ help boost that without actually having to field a team.
                      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

That seems to be the biggest concern amongst those that matter. I suppose they could guarantee to never schedule them to play each other and this can be considered a non-con game. I'm not sure how that works in reality, but it would have to be something like that as isn't the Army/Navy game the week after the conference championship game? Can you be in a conference with someone and never play them? Would the NCAA allow some sort of exception because it's Army/Navy?
                        I agree. Lots of moving part with that one.

The game is played after the conference championship. (Which leads to an interesting scenario of what would happen if Navy made it to and won that game currently.)

Non-con idea is interesting. Perhaps they could move the game to the very beginning of the year and kickoff the season with the game versus cap stoning the season with it (make it a conference game too.)
                        The Assman

Comment

• I'm not sure I get why SMU would want to switch conferences. I understand San Diego State. How good is the PAC 12 money-wise without UCLA and USC? Is the new PAC 12 a lot better than the new AAC? I'm not sure. I get why the PAC 12 wants SMU, but why should SMU want to leave?

If they stay, they would be playing three teams in the state of Texas. That means lower travel costs. They have rivalries with certain teams. They recruit Texas, I imagine. More games played in Texas helps recruiting.

If I were SMU, I don't know that I would leave.

Comment

Maybe not, but I'm trying to build the best conference with the pieces available; wether it happens or not

It would make sense for Army. Navy's program has been on a much better run lately. Being in a stronger conference has to have something to do with that.

Why should VCU care if they aren't playing football? Just focus on what your successful at and have the football $$$ help boost that without actually having to field a team.
                            I just think VCU is very happy where they are. The A10 is mostly a regional conference and is pretty damn good at basketball. The AAC would offer more money, but does it really increase their basketball prospects? The A10 is decently respected. Then you do have to factor in the increased travel costs between the A10 and AAC for all sports. I think when all of those are weighed, VCU isn't a likely yes. Not saying a definite no, but I don't find it likely.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                              As much as I would love VCU. Isn’t that a lateral move for them?
                              Its a good year for this to happen . A10 is bad this year. New look AAC (even without UH, UC, UCF) would have 5 teams higher in NET than the highest A10 team.

Comment

• Originally posted by calfan View Post
                                I'm not sure I get why SMU would want to switch conferences. I understand San Diego State. How good is the PAC 12 money-wise without UCLA and USC? Is the new PAC 12 a lot better than the new AAC? I'm not sure. I get why the PAC 12 wants SMU, but why should SMU want to leave?

If they stay, they would be playing three teams in the state of Texas. That means lower travel costs. They have rivalries with certain teams. They recruit Texas, I imagine. More games played in Texas helps recruiting.

If I were SMU, I don't know that I would leave.
                                Pac12, even with a lower payout in is probably 4-5x payout of the AAC .. they will jump without question if offered.

Comment

Working...
                                X