Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realignment Carousel Spins Up again (USC and UCLA to Big 10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy to think for a hot second that the BXII and AAC were in merger rumblings.

What a world that would have been.
    The Assman

Comment

• The Pac-12's sense of elitism is what's bringing it down. I can't find the quote anymore, but there was a quote a few years ago from someone high-up in the Pac-12 who said something like we see ourselves as an elite club. That was when they had UCLA and USC. You see it even with the SDSU debacle, where SDSU wanted in but some Pac-12 schools didn't want them.

What they should have done is gone big and added six members, like Gonzaga, Boise, UNLV, SDSU, Colorado State, and maybe SMU. Go big and make it the Pac-16, create a buzz as the first 16-team power conference and lock up the western U.S. But the sense of elitism of their member schools prevents something like that from happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post
        The Pac-12's sense of elitism is what's bringing it down. I can't find the quote anymore, but there was a quote a few years ago from someone high-up in the Pac-12 who said something like we see ourselves as an elite club. That was when they had UCLA and USC. You see it even with the SDSU debacle, where SDSU wanted in but some Pac-12 schools didn't want them.

What they should have done is gone big and added six members, like Gonzaga, Boise, UNLV, SDSU, Colorado State, and maybe SMU. Go big and make it the Pac-16, create a buzz as the first 16-team power conference and lock up the western U.S. But the sense of elitism of their member schools prevents something like that from happening.
        At the end of the day it's about priorities. For many Pac-12 schools, academics matter much more than athletics, and they want to share a conference with peer institutions. While there is some leeway, schools like UC Berkeley and Stanford would likely rather drop athletics than share a conference with Boise State.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post
          The Pac-12's sense of elitism is what's bringing it down. I can't find the quote anymore, but there was a quote a few years ago from someone high-up in the Pac-12 who said something like we see ourselves as an elite club. That was when they had UCLA and USC. You see it even with the SDSU debacle, where SDSU wanted in but some Pac-12 schools didn't want them.

I like the idea of going big. AAC merges with the four teams left in the PAC and Gonzaga SDSU AF CSU and Army plus Boise and another to form a Super Conference. Two 12 team divisions for football
          Last edited by pogo; July 27, 2023, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• From the AAC we have Tulsa, SMU, Tulane, Rice, Memphis, and USF all listed as applicants. I hope South Florida gets in just for the pure geographic stupidity.

I know it doesn't hurt these G5 schools to apply, but surely schools like Oregon and Washington have greater ambitions than being in whatever the Pac-12 turns into?

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

From the AAC we have Tulsa, SMU, Tulane, Rice, Memphis, and USF all listed as applicants. I hope South Florida gets in just for the pure geographic stupidity.
              I'm not sure how eager I'd be to jump in with the PAC with the feeling that a few more of the bigger brands may be out the door in the near future as well.

With that said, I could see the PAC taking Rice, SMU and Tulane if they were to expand. Good academic schools and would give them a foothold in Texas. They'll hold their nose for SDSU because of SoCal.

But I'd still hold off on signing any paperwork until they have some sort of TV deal worked out and see if the likes of Oregon/Washington/Arizona will still be there or not.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• So, Rice goes with being okay for almost 20 years in C-USA to now wanting to make a leap to the PAC12 before playing a single event in the AAC??
                The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                  So, Rice goes with being okay for almost 20 years in C-USA to now wanting to make a leap to the PAC12 before playing a single event in the AAC??
                  Fans didn't even want Rice in the AAC (!!!) and now people are talking about them like they'd be a solid addition to the Pac-12 lmao

Their facilities suck, they have no fans, and their two revenue sports have been terrible for decades.

Comment

Fans didn't even want Rice in the AAC (!!!) and now people are talking about them like they'd be a solid addition to the Pac-12 lmao

Their facilities suck, they have no fans, and their two revenue sports have been terrible for decades.
                    Academic snobbery + Houston, Texas is why they would be a potentially high on the list candidate for the PAC.

Same with SMU and DFW.

Same with Tulane and New Orleans. Also adds more eastern time zone games for the conference as well as getting into Texas.

I'm not sure Tulsa works quite the same for the PAC unless they'd want a fourth team in the area.

Memphis would just get laughed at by the PAC.

USF could get some consideration just because of FL, but I'm not sure the PAC goes that far if they're even able to do anything like this.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• SMU and Rice are not even close to the same level as far as athletic commitment goes. Rice needs to show interest in having sports before anyone in the P5 takes them serious. Being in Houston means nothing if no one watches or goes to their games.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Academic snobbery + Houston, Texas is why they would be a potentially high on the list candidate for the PAC.

Same with SMU and DFW.

Same with Tulane and New Orleans. Also adds more eastern time zone games for the conference as well as getting into Texas.

I'm not sure Tulsa works quite the same for the PAC unless they'd want a fourth team in the area.

Memphis would just get laughed at by the PAC.

USF could get some consideration just because of FL, but I'm not sure the PAC goes that far if they're even able to do anything like this.
                        They could certainly build quite the academic conference, but university rankings don't drive media dollars.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

If Oregon goes too gotta figure Washington isn't far behind. Then does the PAC crumble or does the MWC get raided. Could open some doors for the AAC to revisit with CSU and maybe Boise or SDSU
                          And just think of the possibilities if Aresco would have just bided his time after the B12 raid, rather than the new desperation adds. It's not like any of the new AAC schools had better offers on the table. They would have come last year, or they would have come a decade from now.

Now we're stuck with a bloated MVC-like conference with the remaining cornerstone schools like Memphis and SMU looking for the first bus out of town. But there's nowhere for the conference to go to make things better due to a glut in simple member count. The bus is full, we just picked up all the runts along the way instead of waiting for the bus stop to load up.

If a new AAC or MWC type conference is formed of the leftovers, we're not getting an invite in our current state. Thanks to Golden's dipshit office politics, Boatright's ineptitude and Marshall's uncontrollable temper/ego and crazypants family.
                          Last edited by SHOCKvalue; July 28, 2023, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

And just think of the possibilities if Aresco would have just bided his time after the B12 raid, rather than the new desperation adds. It's not like any of the new AAC schools had better offers on the table. They would have come last year, or they would have come a decade from now.

Now we're stuck with a bloated MVC-like conference with the remaining cornerstone schools like Memphis and SMU looking for the first bus out of town. But there's nowhere for the conference to go to make things better due to a glut in simple member count. The bus is full, we just picked up all the runts along the way instead of waiting for the bus stop to load up.
                            Important to note that the MWC buyout, which of course can be negotiated down, is still pretty hefty at $17 million ($34 million if the exit is within 12 months of notice). Not sure how many schools would jump to the AAC considering the media payouts aren't that much higher than the MWC. We probably need things to break in our direction in order to add teams from the MWC.

Comment

Important to note that the MWC buyout, which of course can be negotiated down, is still pretty hefty at $17 million ($34 million if the exit is within 12 months of notice). Not sure how many schools would jump to the AAC considering the media payouts aren't that much higher than the MWC. We probably need things to break in our direction in order to add teams from the MWC.
                              Could be some creative ways to use the incoming exit fees (from UH, UC, UCF) to help pay for the any new member exit fees if the school presidents were confident enough in the new school to add long term value.

Comment

I really don't think any of this current movement - if it progresses - is going to shake out positively for the AAC. With the departures and the adds we've had the AAC is basically damaged goods. We're a junk bond in the world of D1 conferences. The AAC would have stood a chance without nearly doubling the conference by adding a whole slew of schools with - on the whole - very limited brand value, profile and athletic success, but no one is lining up to buddy-up next to freaking UTSA, UNCC and Rice.

Comment

Working...
                                X